Blank Screen Startup Mac OS X 10.9.4 and 10.9.5

Started by jotapeh, October 01, 2014, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jotapeh

Just downloaded the latest Rimworld Alpha this morning after getting my SendOwl email. Game boots up to a completely black screen, can't see or click on anything. Tried a fresh restart, no dice.  :(

sik

Same here, OS X 10.9.5.

First time it started ok in a window, but than I switched it fullscreen and since then it is only fullscreen black page with cursor visible. There are sound effects when I move the mouse cursor, so I guess the interface is there, just not visible.

Is there a way to force it to open in window again?

invisible worm

psilous

Same here, hoping Tynan hops on this one soon so I can enjoy this game

Dieform

I got the same black screen + cursor as above users, but I was able to fix it.

SOLUTION: While game is full screen & black, use CMD+OPT+SHIFT+ESC  (opens the force-quit menu).

This will knock the game back to the windowed menu screen (you can dismiss the force quit window at this point). At this point the game will play, but will remain windowed instead of full screen (which I rather prefer anyway).

jotapeh

I think it's actually just Command-Esc which knocks it out of fullscreen. Helpful tip, seems to work. Thanks!

illwillSE

Phew, I tried everything on the Mac to get it running, and a simple cmd+esc did the trick, awesome, and thanks :)

ElementalStorm

Same here.

534 works perfectly, 581 can't run in full screen.

Give us fullscreen back !

Mystic

Same problem here.  If I run the previous Alpha 6 executable, set fullscreen mode, then exit and run Alpha 7, it will work properly in fullscreen mode.  But if I attempt to switch from windowed to fullscreen mode within Alpha 7, the screen goes black except for the mouse cursor.  I can still hear that the UI is active as I mouse around on that black screen, because I hear the clicks from the buttons on the mouseovers, but obviously I can't do anything.

By the way, pressing Cmd+Esc will switch back to windowed mode and make the window contents reappear, for anyone who feels they are stuck in that mode.

ItchyFlea

All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Tynan

I desperately need a log file to be able to fix this!

Can anyone find theirs and post it please? It's found in:

~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 11:50:53 AM
I desperately need a log file to be able to fix this!

Can anyone find theirs and post it please? It's found in:

~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

I just reproduced the issue on a fresh computer right after installing Alpha 7.  (It came up in a window by default, and I then switched it to fullscreen and then used Cmd+Esc to return to the windowed screen and exited the program after staring at the black screen for ten seconds or so.)  The log contents you asked about are below (thankfully it's not too long).  Let me know if there is anything else I can provide to you to diagnose the issue.

Initialize engine version: 4.5.3f3 (fca41a4fabea)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
LoadSystemBundle - Could not create bundle URL for framework 'OpenGL.framework'
OpenGL:
    Version:  OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 ATI-1.24.38]
    Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5750 OpenGL Engine
    Vendor:   ATI Technologies Inc.
    VRAM:     1024 MB
    Extensions: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod
GL: buggy packed depth stencil; Deferred rendering will use slower rendering path
GL: Detected 11620145 MB VRAM
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.518 seconds
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
RimWorld 0.7.581 rev35981

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Mods config data is from build 534 while we are at build 581. Resetting.

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Knowledge data was missing key MedicalOperations. Adding it...

Knowledge data was missing key MedicalOperations. Adding it...

Tynan

Thanks Mystic! I don't fully understand the steps you're describing. At what point was the screen black? Is it black only in fullscreen or windowed? When you Command+Esc back and forth, is it consistently black in one mode and okay in the other? If you start playing, and switch modes back and forth, does it go black and then return to normal?

Also, can you run it again and post the log again? I want to capture it without the config data resets involved.

Thank you!

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 12:27:45 PM
Thanks Mystic! I don't fully understand the steps you're describing. At what point was the screen black? Is it black only in fullscreen or windowed? When you Command+Esc back and forth, is it consistently black in one mode and okay in the other? If you start playing, and switch modes back and forth, does it go black and then return to normal?

Also, can you run it again and post the log again? I want to capture it without the config data resets involved.

Thank you!

The screen goes black when I tick the "Fullscreen" item in the Options dialog to switch to fullscreen.  The screen fades to black as it is expanding to cover the whole desktop, and then just stays that way, except that the mouse cursor is visible.  Moving the mouse around causes audible mouseover sounds from the UI elements that should be on the screen, so the program apparently thinks it is still operating normally at that point ... I just can't see what I am doing.

I can do this repeatedly in a single game load with the same results.  I also tried starting a game in windowed mode, then switching to fullscreen while in the game ... same results (screen turns black anytime I switch to fullscreen mode).  It is consistently black in fullscreen mode other than the mouse cursor, and never black in windowed mode.

Note that Cmd+Esc doesn't toggle back and forth ... it just exits fullscreen mode back to windowed mode.  Hitting that key combo while the game is in windowed mode has no effect.

Please take note of the fact that, if I run Alpha 6 and set the fullscreen mode there, then exit that version and launch Alpha 7 so that it is loading in fullscreen mode by default, then the fullscreen mode works perfectly in Alpha 7.  That is, until I switch to a windowed mode and then back from within Alpha 7, then I get the fullscreen black window back.  It is something about performing the switch from windowed to fullscreen mode from within Alpha 7.

Here's a new log from repeating the steps described earlier (just starting the app, attempting the switch to full screen, then exiting).

Initialize engine version: 4.5.3f3 (fca41a4fabea)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
LoadSystemBundle - Could not create bundle URL for framework 'OpenGL.framework'
OpenGL:
    Version:  OpenGL 2.1 [2.1 ATI-1.24.38]
    Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5750 OpenGL Engine
    Vendor:   ATI Technologies Inc.
    VRAM:     1024 MB
    Extensions: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod
GL: buggy packed depth stencil; Deferred rendering will use slower rendering path
GL: Detected 11620145 MB VRAM
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.057 seconds
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
RimWorld 0.7.581 rev35981

Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Applications/RimWorld581Mac.app/Contents/Data/Managed/System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)

Tynan

Okay, thanks for the info Mystic.

EDIT: Yeah, this bug is brutal. There is nothing at all in that log file!