Haul Away Order

Started by nja, November 05, 2013, 11:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nja

Currently, the haul away option under orders only selects debris.  Why not let the user select other things, too?  Sometimes my miner generates a ton of metal, and it would be convenient to be able to mark it as "haul this away now" rather than just leaving it there to be picked up whenever someone happens by it.

Semmy

Select your colonist and right click on the metal.

He will than prioritize hauling it off.
Hauling minerals is put under the hauling option in overview.
While hauling debris must be done through haul this away wich activates the skill in overview.
Sometimes you just dont want to haul your debris away since its great natural defense
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

nja

Quote from: Semmy on November 06, 2013, 12:19:30 AM
Select your colonist and right click on the metal.

He will than prioritize hauling it off.

Yep, and when I have just mined ten blocks, I have to babysit the colonist and tell him to prioritize each piece!  Which is why it'd be handy to be able to say "clear this whole area of all the metal."

British

As much as it may produce a bit more micro-management, I'd love to have a way to priorize what colonists are hauling.
That way I could have, for instance, a colonist that would haul bodies first, then metal, then food, then weapons, another one metal -> weapons -> food -> bodies, and so on...

Dragula

A button in the character info screen so you can prioritize per colonist would be a good additio.

NephilimNexus

New technology: RoboHauler.

Automated wheel-barrel with grasping arm.  It consumes power (internal battery) so requires a Charging Station.  It hauls stuff.  That's what it does.  That's all it does.  However, it never needs to sleep, eat, or has mood swings.

Opens door to new drone types...

Morrigi

Quote from: NephilimNexus on November 06, 2013, 09:35:48 PM
New technology: RoboHauler.

Automated wheel-barrel with grasping arm.  It consumes power (internal battery) so requires a Charging Station.  It hauls stuff.  That's what it does.  That's all it does.  However, it never needs to sleep, eat, or has mood swings.

Opens door to new drone types...
This. Specialized robots would be pretty awesome.

Tynan

The haul designation doesn't create any higher priority; even if the metal had it it would be hauled no faster than if it were simply unforbidden. The two are equivalent.

You're talking about another way to prioritize stuff en masse. Which is an interesting idea, but I think this sort of thing is handled reasonably well by the work priorities system now. Just set someone to have hauling at priority 1.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

nja

Quote from: Tynan on November 07, 2013, 01:09:19 AM
Just set someone to have hauling at priority 1.
The problem is that sometimes I only want them to haul some metal, then get back to work mining more.  Instead, they pick up whatever's closest -- rock, metal, food, dead squirrels, etc.  Sure, I could micro-manage and force them to handle each piece of metal, then manually change their priorities back.  It would be preferable to have a "prioritize this area" tool.