WOOT WOOT its out!!! (alpha 7 disscusion)

Started by Fruit loops, October 01, 2014, 02:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack020

Quote from: ShootyFace on October 02, 2014, 10:01:47 AM
All in all, cool update. I just wish the diseases were toned down

>>
Quote from: jack020 on October 01, 2014, 05:59:26 PM
also im not pleased with diseases.. i just wanna fight waves of enemies

so im nerfing diseases to 0

Mods\Core\Defs\IncidentDefs\DiseaseIncidents.xml

///
-<diseaseVictimFractionRange>

<min>0.1</min>
<max>0.15</max>
\\\

if that's it

also diseases under : Mods\Core\Defs\BiomeDefs\BiomesBase.xml
<<

Shinzy

Quote from: ShootyFace on October 02, 2014, 10:01:47 AM-and that the critters we had running around weren't so 'earthly'. Cobras in space, why not give them some sort of sci-fi name? We got Muffalo and from there on it's been pretty much standard fare.
Based on his naming of the muffalo Ty would probably call the rest of the animals something along the lines of
Mobra, Turple or Burpoise, Brinoceros, Gonkey, Wild Poar, Bromenady, Squiller and like Megadeer =P

some things mite be best left alone!

RemingtonRyder

I think that the challenge has scaled up quite a bit, at least as far as Cassandra is concerned.  I had a couple of snipers and a swordsman attack my base, and somehow all my colonists made it through alive.  The downside being that my researcher lost both her arms.

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Girlinhat on October 02, 2014, 01:56:17 AM
Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on October 02, 2014, 01:50:35 AM
Quote from: Girlinhat on October 02, 2014, 01:40:18 AM
Anyone else having trouble with surgery?  I can't seem to get my guys to perform it, ever.

Make sure you have a bed set to medical mode available.
What happens exactly, is that I order a guy to have his eye amputated for cataracs, so he walks into the hospital, climbs over the pile of medicine, slips past the pile of bionic eyes, says hello to the three doctors, and then cozies up in one of the medical beds to go to sleep.  Then he stays there.

That's odd. Do other kinds of surgeries work? Maybe if you posted a picture or a save (and world) file, it would help us figure out what's going on.

ShootyFace

See, Shinzy, I LIKE all those names, much more than what we have now. I need more fi in my sci-fi. Maybe I need to look at modding the game, if just to add some freakish space critters.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

skullywag

Got to say im in agreement with the "diseases are annoying", not saying they are wrong but they aint fun...4 games in a row now, all 3 starting colonists have died of plague...nothing I seem to do can stop it, medical beds built they are in them im watching them like a hawk and prioritizing treatment when they need it to no avail, they always get worse and then die. (they do get treatment with medicine but it does nothing)

Sad to say but ill be modding diseases heavily in A7...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

Quote from: skullywag on October 02, 2014, 08:26:31 PM
Got to say im in agreement with the "diseases are annoying", not saying they are wrong but they aint fun...4 games in a row now, all 3 starting colonists have died of plague...nothing I seem to do can stop it, medical beds built they are in them im watching them like a hawk and prioritizing treatment when they need it to no avail, they always get worse and then die. (they do get treatment with medicine but it does nothing)

This is kind of surprising, in testing we never encountered anything like this. Can others corroborate?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TheXIIILightning

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 08:44:19 PM

This is kind of surprising, in testing we never encountered anything like this. Can others corroborate?

I've had two colonists (in my current game) suffer from Plague, but they were treated without a problem. O.o
I just had then "Rest until fully healed" on a medical bed and they recovered without a problem. Sure, they required around 4 'Medicine' each in order to receive treatment, but once they reached Immunity they were soon up and about.

In older games even when they got sick and I had no medicine to treat them with, they would always survive if I kept them in bed at all times. Sure, they'd survive with very little health left, but they lived!

PS: Maybe they weren't being fed? Once a colonist reaches Starvation point they start to lose HP, even if they are resting in a bed. Perhaps the Doctor treating them was so overwhelmed with work that they simply weren't able to prioritize feeding the colonists as well as doing other chores.

Varnhagen

Quote from: TheXIIILightning on October 02, 2014, 08:53:37 PM
In older games even when they got sick and I had no medicine to treat them with, they would always survive if I kept them in bed at all times. Sure, they'd survive with very little health left, but they lived!

In my last colony the doc died a grim death with 99% immunity. Didn't help that the other vaguely capable colonist died in the neighboring bed a couple hours before.
I think it might have been a priority conflict. My docs have usually Doctoring at first and patient at second tier. I might have gotten that wrong this time. But still the problem was that both were awaiting some treatment that only the other one could give. But both were way to far gone to provide any help at some point. It might help if not the entire colony fell ill at once. (a few days in between the outbreaks)
Or am I doing something wrong? Are diseases purely random or influenced by circumstances. Little sleep and dirty accomodation, sleeping on the ground and eating raw boar? Do these influence a chance for infection?

I still like the diseases. We'll find a way to cope with them.

Zulgaines

My first two games had one of my three colonists die of the plague at the start, the second had another of my three colonists almost die of the plague after the first.

My third game I had many of my colonists contract the plague but none of them died to it. I did this by:

1. Micro managing characters that contracted the plague, making sure they got their treatments immediately

2. Making sure that the character with the highest doctor skill was always administering the treatment

3. Selling off whatever I had to in order to always have medicine available for the plague

4. Treating cooked food supply as important as treatment, dunno if this one mattered as much.

That's all I can think of, it was annoying to have someone getting sick every other day but it was manageable after the first couple of experiences with it.

Lack of event verity mixed with the frequency of the events seems to be the only real issue with it. People just get sick too much.

Tynan

Quote from: Zulgaines on October 02, 2014, 09:32:11 PM
Lack of event verity mixed with the frequency of the events seems to the only real issue with it. People just get sick too much.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. I'll definitely have to rebalance it. Maybe a hotfix.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TheXIIILightning

Quote from: Varnhagen on October 02, 2014, 09:03:39 PM
Quote from: TheXIIILightning on October 02, 2014, 08:53:37 PM

In my last colony the doc died a grim death with 99% immunity. Didn't help that the other vaguely capable colonist died in the neighboring bed a couple hours before.
I think it might have been a priority conflict. My docs have usually Doctoring at first and patient at second tier. I might have gotten that wrong this time. But still the problem was that both were awaiting some treatment that only the other one could give. But both were way to far gone to provide any help at some point. It might help if not the entire colony fell ill at once. (a few days in between the outbreaks)
Or am I doing something wrong? Are diseases purely random or influenced by circumstances. Little sleep and dirty accomodation, sleeping on the ground and eating raw boar? Do these influence a chance for infection?

I still like the diseases. We'll find a way to cope with them.

From what I can tell diseases are random events and don't have anything to do with cleanliness. Although you have a far lower chance to get sick in the desert, when compared to the rainforest.
The problem was most likely your priorities, because having 'Doctoring' and 'Patient' at the same level is usually the best. You can then micromanage whether you want one healed first, or the other. If you had something else at Tier 1, then the sick Doctor would leave the bed to work instead of resting like he should.

Don't forget that scars and permanent wounds have a lasting effect on your colonists, lowering their health from the usual 100% to somewhere around 90% or even 80%. That can become a death sentence to an injured colonist if they have to rely on surviving with no meds, as it would an actual person.

Drahkon

Throughout testing and after, I've not had a single pawn die of illness yet - no special treatment involved so not sure what went wrong there. I've not had too much issue with it on randy aside from once i had about 8 people come down with the plague at once, followed by maybe 4 with malaria before they got well, several had both. That might have been a bit much, followed by a raid I had to get them all out of bed for, but they still all lived.

Well, at least none died of the illnesses, might have lost some to the raid.

TheXIIILightning

Okay, here are the statistics for my current game. Coincidentally enough I did not only have one colonist sick after I ran out of Meds, but 10 cases of illness, when I have 8 colonists. All of them survived without the aid of Meds, simply by having them rest in bed.

http://i.imgur.com/Hm2iDTG.jpg

The problem is that now I'm rather vulnerable to attacks since I had no time to upgrade my base, since I had to take care of 3 diseased colonists + 2 prisoners at the time... but moving on!
Poor Snotface over there got sick 3 times with 3 different illneses... maybe if he wiped his nose more often, he wouldn't get sick as much. Don't you think so, Snotface?

MOVING ON, I think diseases are fine as they are. They aren't too deadly if you are cautious, even though you can get quite a fright if they reach the extreme level. I think they are just too common and Traders are far too rare later on when you actually need them. I only got 3 ships near the start of the game, and after that all the blue dots are just visitors, not a single ship passed by for me to dump the loot I was hoarding.

I think adding the ability to create Medicine, adding more events or simply increase the chance of Raiders spawning with Medicine, could balance this issue quite a bit. The health system made people too reliable on Medicine, and the simple fact that they have to wait and be lucky in order to resupply, is a bit frustrating. Especially when things like this happen combined with months of no ships passing by.
Making it so that an 'emergency' ship passes regularly every 20 to 20 days would be quite helpful. You could buy essential items from it, but they would cost twice as much!

keylocke

people with diseases get fed by assigned doctors (people might think they're getting cured), but without medicine, they don't get better and then they eventually die from sickness.

there also seems to be a limited time frame when it says X needs treatment (this sometimes trigger when they're on another task), and if ignored for too long, it seems to count that as a failure to get treatment, which probably makes the sickness a bit worse. which means more medicine and more treatment is necessary.

and then when the meds run out and players didn't prioritize getting more, people die.

i think it's one of the many new challenges introduced in alpha 7 that people needs to learn to deal with. it adds more complexity and fun to the game but it also increases the learning curve a bit.