WOOT WOOT its out!!! (alpha 7 disscusion)

Started by Fruit loops, October 01, 2014, 02:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecos

I'm ~200 days into my A7/Phoebe-Challenge/jungle biome colony and had four cases of diseases so far. One guy got quite unlucky, getting malaria just after building up his immunity to the plague, then another single case among my colonists and finally one of my prisoners. Think that's quite a good amount of diseases, and I like the event a lot more than, say, psychic drones. Staying on top of your med supply has gotten a lot more important.

Also liking the new trade interface a lot. I didn't really bother with trading in A6 much, to be honest, but especially playing with Phoebe in A7 it's become my main source of weapons and armour. Am curious whether it's going to be the same on my next Cassandra run.

Melee weapons are great. Always have one guy with a short sword running around between my streets (playing an outside colony) and dispatching of the odd charging enemy. Got a "brawler"-trait character with a power claw and a short sword now. Epic.

...still waiting for that Military Commissar character to join my colony to give them a power claw, a bionic eye and rename them to "Yarrick"...

Wex

Quote from: Tynan on October 02, 2014, 08:44:19 PM
Quote from: skullywag on October 02, 2014, 08:26:31 PM
Got to say im in agreement with the "diseases are annoying", not saying they are wrong but they aint fun...4 games in a row now, all 3 starting colonists have died of plague...nothing I seem to do can stop it, medical beds built they are in them im watching them like a hawk and prioritizing treatment when they need it to no avail, they always get worse and then die. (they do get treatment with medicine but it does nothing)

Sad to say but ill be modding diseases heavily in A7...

This is kind of surprising, in testing we never encountered anything like this. Can others corroborate?
Day 4 all my colonist get the plague, day 7 one of them gets malaria too. Thankfully Phoebe gave me a lot of medicine in a pod crash, otherwise it would have been restart time.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

christhekiller

I don't have a big issue with with diseases. Granted I don't have a colony in a jungle (the second I heard more diseases I said to myself "f**k that s**t") but I haven't had anyone die from any diseases... Well except prisoners... I had a few die from infections because I don't give them medicine but I've begun amputating infected limbs soooo that's a non issue now.

But I just have them "Rest until fully healed" in medical beds and they never die of malaria and plague, and they normally get back up once the disease is minor and they've developed an immunity. It is a bit annoying, especially when my colonies small, to have a key person get sick but I figured it's best to keep them in bed while they're sick than risk them dieing. I only get them up if the colony needs defending.

CrazehMeow

This is wierd, I actually really enjoyed the challenge provided by diseases and infections. It's something very different, and very surprisingly to me it is the addition I enjoyed the most.

So far I've had malaria several times and the flu. You need to pay more attention to affected colonists because they may fall over any time and you might need to rescue them. Fun!

However, it strains your ressources quite a bit. At least in the jungle where you get sick quite often. I sell slaves and organs harvested regularly to keep up with the expenses for medicine.

The only thing that bugs me out is forced material selection. I can't quite get used to it. Also materials only appearing when you have appropriate stock? That's good for not cluttering the selection but annoying when planning ahead.

Zulgaines

He released a hotfix that lowers the chance of sickness a good bit.

I personally really enjoy the mechanic but am glad it got toned down. Even if it's manageable now people getting terrible illnesses every two days or so isn't going to be a lot of fun when there's more story content to the game.

But hell, Theme Hospital in space would be pretty damn fun too, I want to deflate some colonists heads.

Shinzy

Quote from: Zulgaines on October 03, 2014, 12:15:35 PMBut hell, Theme Hospital in space would be pretty damn fun too.

I want to see a raider come up to your reception to get his inflated head treated =P

Zulgaines

Quote from: Shinzy on October 03, 2014, 12:32:41 PM
Quote from: Zulgaines on October 03, 2014, 12:15:35 PMBut hell, Theme Hospital in space would be pretty damn fun too.

I want to see a raider come up to your reception to get his inflated head treated =P

Medical related events that can gain you colonists, silver, resources, or whatever for curing people would be very interesting once medicine and illnesses is more fleshed out.

If you really focus your attention on it it could even become a secondary method of gain for your colony, colony specialization could add an enormous amount of verity to the current fare of "Bad guys with guns" events.

Varnhagen

Third time's a charm!
90 days in, no one sick, no one dead, no on desperate to leave. Might be by chance (hotfix not applied), but it feels rewarding right now  to do everything right.

Ayt

Quote from: Encode on October 03, 2014, 12:43:07 PM

2. How to make Walls we build link up to the Rock walls like it used to?

*Edit* Added Rock into Wall's Linkflag and now walls & rocks are joined seamlessly, in case anyone wants to know.

It would be helpful to know which file this is in.

Mathenaut

I'm ambivalent about the new building requirements for the spaceship.

Now it's gone from waiting at the mercy of the RNG for the AI ship to additionally waiting at the mercy of the RNG for an industrial trader.  Would be nice if we could send a request for a trader.

Dr. Z

Would be nice if the same stuff would lead to the same stats, e.g. the synthread pants we start with are 100% flammable but the t-shirt is 0%.
Prasie the Squirrel!

jjgoldman

Actually kinda welcomed the disease challenge, it added another priority to the game for me.  Did seem like a lot of diseases in a relatively short period of time though.  Maybe that's just this planet's atmosphere??? 

The game did feel a lot more....deep, like DF-type deep.  As in not all the game systems we present within 5 minutes of starting up.  It felt good to know I had to develop some tech, collect some resources, before I could, say, craft a piece of clothing.  So that was good.

I really enjoyed the new trade system.  Made the search for different resources more impactful.  Anyways, two games in and I'm liking most of the additions.  Although I'm not looking forward to harvesting a lung because one of my colonists needs one.

Tynan

This thread is quite interesting, it's gratifying to see people are getting something out of the new content!

It really feels like the game is getting very complex these days. Which is intended, but I always worry about what's being lost. Earlier alphas did play out a lot quicker, just because there was so much less to do. It's becoming a longer, more involved game, which I think is good, but I don't want that to be tied to excessive micromanagement or a lack of a sense of progress.

Quote from: CrazehMeow on October 03, 2014, 10:42:42 AM
The only thing that bugs me out is forced material selection. I can't quite get used to it. Also materials only appearing when you have appropriate stock? That's good for not cluttering the selection but annoying when planning ahead.

A common complaint, this will be solved in A8.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shinzy

Quote from: Tynan on October 05, 2014, 12:40:51 AM-but I don't want that to be tied to excessive micromanagement or a lack of a sense of progress.

To be honest I didn't feel there wasn't much any sense of progression
until this alpha! (The researching didn't give much anything of interest aside making stone blocks)
There wasn't much to aim for in a game other than just waiting how badly I can get screwed up by the storyteller before getting wiped out

Now I feel there's actual goals to be had with getting my colonees
golden housing and cybernetic limbs and eyes and make all the neighbouring factions real jelly

The tradeships are actually fun and exciting with how they work now
Feels like unwrapping a present each time you see that "OH what will they have for sale now!?"

It's getting complex just the right way
I only think there should be more variety with items/equipment
but mods really cover that angle quite well =P And I need you to focus on new mechanics *poke*

Briefly! I love the game and I'm increasingly excited about where it's going next!
Also brightly coloured words! you're welcome everyone!

zidey

Can someone tell me how to get jungle? I don't seem to get it when I create a new seed