Alpha 7: what happened to wooden walls?

Started by OpposingForces, October 02, 2014, 01:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpposingForces

hi all, just fired up alpha 7 and noticed that i can't build wooden walls. i can build wooden floors. not sure why that is. also i can't seem to be able to build anything outta wood(except floors).
No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.

nerevar

I'm guessing from the "trailer" video for alpha 7 that you need to have the wood in one of your stockpiles before you can order a wood structure built.  The same will apply to metal, stone etc.

So make a stockpile, have your colonists haul the wood into the pile, and the wood wall should become available to build.

OpposingForces

um, this i already know. but thanks for the feed back. the issue was i didn't know about the change to were you have to click metal wall then pick wooden from the selection box. not a big fan of this change.
No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.

Robovski

Yeah, you need a material in the stockpile to be able to build with it (it seems) assuming you have the tech to build with it (say, stone, which must be researched). Then you have to click the box for the material every time (this is apparently going to be fixed in build 8).

EnderWigin

Yes, UI for material selection definitely need to be reworked.

Haplo

As I said in another thread I think it has it's charm.
It could be overhauled a bit, but I think, that it would be enough to place the selection of the metal to the RMB and let it show on the LMB only as long as no material is selected.
The other thing, with the removing when it isn't available is a reminder for me to do something about my material shortage :)

Dr. Z

The material don't actually has to be in you stockpiles, but somewhere on the map, and you don't need to reaserch stonecutting to build things of stone. If you tear down ruins you can immediately build things out of stone.
Prasie the Squirrel!

gamy

i didn't understand the first time, i should click on the metal walls button to get choice of wooden wall. I think the building menu on alpha 7 is horrible.
Each time i want to build a wooden wall, i have to click on the wooden wall and reselect again the wooden (even if the icon was on wooden wall). It's clearly not intuitive and boring. And this for each time i want to do a wall, a door, a table, bed...
I think it has to be change for more ergonomy, user friendly, useful way

Shinzy

Quote from: gamy on October 11, 2014, 11:19:37 AM
i didn't understand the first time, i should click on the metal walls button to get choice of wooden wall. I think the building menu on alpha 7 is horrible.
Each time i want to build a wooden wall, i have to click on the wooden wall and reselect again the wooden (even if the icon was on wooden wall). It's clearly not intuitive and boring. And this for each time i want to do a wall, a door, a table, bed...
I think it has to be change for more ergonomy, user friendly, useful way

It should be fixed for next alpha if I've understood it right
But for now there's a UI mod that let's you do just that, if you turn the option on! (select material with right click and only place with left)
Look for EdB's interface in the mod section, it really makes things more convenient

gamy

Quote from: Shinzy on October 11, 2014, 11:27:39 AM
It should be fixed for next alpha if I've understood it right
But for now there's a UI mod that let's you do just that, if you turn the option on! (select material with right click and only place with left)
Look for EdB's interface in the mod section, it really makes things more convenient

ah thank you, so i m going to try edb interface

Wex

I miss the log wall. Decent hit points, fast to build. Istant cover, if you have a little time.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Shinzy

Quote from: Wex on October 12, 2014, 10:25:27 AM
I miss the log wall. Decent hit points, fast to build. Istant cover, if you have a little time.

Oh I never used that for anything except decoration
And I miss it, too