Debris and corpses removal

Started by Cincinnatus, November 06, 2013, 03:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cincinnatus

I would like to be able to remove corpses and debris from the map.

To do this there should be incinerators and rock-crusher machines as buildings.
Both buildings would need power and produce dirt.

chaotix14

I agree there should be an easier way. Some building to handle the destruction of unwanted materials. It however shouldn't be available without some research though.

The current way of destroying debris and corpses is less than effective, and involved the use of several blasting charges around dumping grounds. Which in my oppinion is both wastefull of the metal and quite dangerous.

Dragula

Corpses can be stored in graves. Make sure there is room to place blasting charges. Pop the charges and voila, empty graves again :)
Usually need two charges for a corpse to disappear.
You do ofcourse have to set priorities right for colonists to haul corpses.
Rubble can be stored in dumping areas.

Semmy

Rubble makes an awsome defensive line.
Slows the suckers down costs nothing but hauling.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

hwoo

A youtuber I watch made a 6-6 room. With a metal tile outside. Placed a dumping ground inside the room. And detailed it to only take bodies. Then he would Molotov it. Rinse and repeat. Easy. As for debris? F knows.

Goeshi

Quote from: hwoo on November 06, 2013, 04:12:35 AM
A youtuber I watch made a 6-6 room. With a metal tile outside. Placed a dumping ground inside the room. And detailed it to only take bodies. Then he would Molotov it. Rinse and repeat. Easy. As for debris? F knows.
Molotoving graves seems to empty them of corpses too. Much easier, and it means you don't leave the bodies visible (upsetting your settlers) in the meantime.

hwoo

Very true. Guess I just love the incinerator room idea haha.

nnescio

Quote from: hwoo on November 06, 2013, 04:12:35 AM

You can blow them up with frag grenades. In previous versions it used to be easier as you can stack multiple debris on a single tile by selling and reassigning the dumpsite on preexisting debris, but I guess Tynan closed that exploit now.

Another alternative is to use cave-ins involving thick rock ceilings (as opposed to thin ones, as those leave rock rubble behind) as an atomsmasher to wipe out anything you placed underneath, 'though it might not be worth the amount of setup needed and has the potentially to instantly squash any hapless colonists caught under the cave-in.

It could be practical if it doubles as a trap for raiders, but that would still take far too many digging to be worthwhile under most circumstances.

But yeah, I agree with Semmy, debris is quite useful as a replacement for sandbags. Takes no resources to make, doesn't need maintenance and can repair themselves due to a current bug where their HP values are not saved properly and are instead initialized to their maximum when you reload the game. Sure, it penalizes your colonists with the "hideous environment" moodlet, but any colonists near the frontlines will probably see too many deaths and corpses (and bloodstains) for that not to matter anyway.