Fungus

Started by Halinder, October 04, 2014, 04:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halinder

If you've ever paid attention to grass or flames in Rimworld, you may notice they occasionally let off small 'spores', which float around trying to find adequate soil or flammable objects. What if we had this kind of stuff for fungus? If the spores reach a dark area then they'll begin to grow there, forming a massive blob that can suffocate mountain colonies if not taken care of. It could be a nice surprise for one of the locked away rooms, too.

Johnny Masters

Fungus, or aggressive vegetation that need to be weeded (with flamethrowers preferably), are a cool addition.

Cyclops

Flamethrowers too, are a cool addition.

Wex

An underground fungus eating at machinery and power cables? That would make a nice incentive for not "Dwarwing"
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Klitri

This would mess up so many mountain colonies, but I like that, it adds some form of balance to the game. The fungus idea is a great idea, perhaps it could poison colonists that are close to it if they're just standing around it inhaling the spores.

Fruit loops

+1 on this idea I would like to see it also taint the food or eats the power cables like "Wex" said
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

putsam

+1 this idea it'll help bring colonies into the open again

Halinder

Just saying Tynan. Making mountain colonies less easy like you were talking about. Juuust saying :P

MajorFordson

Oooooh I'd LOVE to see underground plants.

Also as others have said, aggressive plants that can start to grow into your flooring or buildings if not controlled.

As well as physically active predatory plants, making the jungle even scarier! Or maybe desert sand trap type plants, like the Sarlaac in star wars!

kingtyris

This... is a good idea.

Halinder

Bump for the sake of actually really wanting Tynan to see this.

stefanstr

One of the best ideas I have read on this forum so far. +10000 for this to happen.

skullywag

1. add new plant def
2. Mess with what ground it can grow on
3. mess with the seedshoot values
4. stick new plant in a biomedef

done. simples.

Also my MoreWeapons and MoreTurrets mods have a flamethrower.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Coenmcj

After reading this, I thought about something like creep from starcraft, give the plant a fast seeding rate and make the "spores" invisible. The plant taking up the entire cell
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Wex

To not make it unbalanced though, it should be limited to places with no sunlight (Fungi don't grow in sunlight) and have sunlight destroy it. Also, It would be fun, if left unattended, it clogs up rooms and corridors, to the point mining is necessary.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison