Nothing to write home about. Well maybe..

Started by chaotix14, November 06, 2013, 04:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotix14

So you are stranded on some moon orbiting around a gas giant somewhere in the infinite expanse of the universe. Surely after you managed to get communications with close by ships you'd want to send your family and friends the messege that you are alive and well. And of course after that initial messege you'd also want to occaisionally get letters from them and write some of your own, to keep in touch.
So why not call in the help of said passing ships, and put the hearts of your survivors at ease. I am sure they will relay your messege, for a small fee.

CyborgTriceratops

I like this idea, if it can also cause bad issues. I've seen military members get "Dear John" letters where their girl/boyfriend or significant other breaks up with them while they're deployed. I can imagine something like that or a "Your ______ has died of disentery" letters.

Sundaysmile

I'd happily support an idea which could bring a little chaos and drama to my colonists.  This would be a great addition to the game.

And on the plus side it could also increase happiness to find out what's going on at home. 

It could also open up new background traits for the colonists or even make existing ones more flavourful. 

JEBWrench

While I love this idea, I really do, there's one thing in the back of my mind.

Why would a ship that cares enough to deliver a message back home not do something about rescuing you?

Though, if it were done for a fee, that could work.

chaotix14

Quote from: JEBWrench on November 06, 2013, 09:40:57 AM
While I love this idea, I really do, there's one thing in the back of my mind.

Why would a ship that cares enough to deliver a message back home not do something about rescuing you?

Though, if it were done for a fee, that could work.

The same why exists when thinking about them trading with you. Why won't they do something to rescue this colony of stranded astronauts? Why can't you pay them to pick you up and bring you to the nearest civilized planet? I mean it's not like they can't pick up stuff from the surface of the planet, I've send them tons and tons of food and weapons.

It's a bit like a series about being lost on an uninhabited island. They don't build a boat and use that to escape the island, even when they have the capability and resources to do so, because that'll end the series. It's a bit of immersion breaking you'll just have to take if you don't want the game to end as soon as you have a good sum of money and a comms system.

Matty

The Rim World you are stranded on is on the "rim of the galaxy". And since faster than light travel isn't possible, it would take a long, long time for them to get any message and send it back, even if the ship were to bother taking the trip.

chaotix14

Seems rather busy for the "rim of the galaxy", lots of trading ships and raiders anyways. In any case, there are more ways to transport information than through physical transport with the ship. You can send it across the void of space via electromagnetic radiation,(radio waves, light, etc.) Relaying it from the ship to a chain of sattalites till it ends up at it's destination. Though a colony like the one you build would most likely not have the ability to build a transmitter powerfull enough, lack the power supply to use it and/or not know which way to point the transmitter for the sattalite.(whereas larger trading vessels are able to) Of course transmitting messeges this way will still take time, afterall it still takes 5 minutes for light from the sun to reach earth.

Besides that all, it's a game. And sometimes in games, they set asside realism to add game mechanics.(which basically they already did a bit seeing as how busy these colonies on the edge of the galaxy are, with all the raiders and traders that just happen to be in the neighbourhood)

Galileus

Quote from: chaotix14 on November 06, 2013, 11:00:50 AMIn any case, there are more ways to transport information than through physical transport with the ship. You can send it across the void of space via electromagnetic radiation,(radio waves, light, etc.) Relaying it from the ship to a chain of sattalites till it ends up at it's destination.

Radio waves are not any faster than light, and neither is light ;)

In any case there are two big problems with this idea. Firs one is amount of work - you would need to set up A LOT of modular messages (so that player doesn't read the same one too many times), you would need to tie in perks and backgrounds, make sure they don't exclude each another and set up how they intersect, should make a solid background over the whole world (otherwise these messages will be dry and irritating after 3rd or 4th one), test it over and over again and probably change 184 and a half time during development. Not only a terrible perspective in alpha, but not a nice perspective as an addon either.
The second problem is much, much more complicated. You're stranded. That's eet :) The whole atmosphere and set up is about your guys being stranded in unknown, surrounded by unknown and later slowly building alliances and watching as enemies gather around them. They are alone, scared, trying desperately to see this as a new beginning and cutting your ties to your past. It's either that or you die - those who can't find themselves in their new reality, die or go mad. And then you write to mum. She asked if you'll be home by 22:00. It simply breaks the narrative, and this is a no-no!