Meals spoiling too quickly

Started by codyo, October 04, 2014, 06:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyo

It would be nice if meals did not spoil so fast. I thought it was a bug after seeing my stockpile of 60 simple meals vanishing within two days then having my colonists go hungry because of it.

Meals should be lasting weeks before they spoil, or add like a refrigerator to store meals much longer.

Peanutcat

Why would you keep 60 meals around? It's enough to have maybe 3-5 more than you have colonists

Varnhagen

Multiply your headcount (colonists + max prisoner beds) by 2.5 and set your stove bill to "Do until". This way you'll have one and half day that your chef can spend questing against the pirate menace without spoiling meals or anyone going nuts.

A refrigerator would be a mighty cool addition. My food stockpile is always called "larder" and my dead animal repository is a "cold store". Even though the sun is burning hot on the carcasses.

thestalkinghead

Quote from: Varnhagen on October 04, 2014, 07:25:51 PM
Multiply your headcount (colonists + max prisoner beds) by 2.5 and set your stove bill to "Do until". This way you'll have one and half day that your chef can spend questing against the pirate menace without spoiling meals or anyone going nuts.

A refrigerator would be a mighty cool addition. My food stockpile is always called "larder" and my dead animal repository is a "cold store". Even though the sun is burning hot on the carcasses.

yeah cool   ;)

raw materials (butchered meat) don't spoil i think, but if they do eventually a fridge would be great

codyo

Quote from: Peanutcat on October 04, 2014, 06:54:54 PM
Why would you keep 60 meals around? It's enough to have maybe 3-5 more than you have colonists

Having a stockpile would come in handy by now, since I now have 6 prisoners to feed and 8 colonists.

Johnny Masters

Would be neat to cook more than one meal at a time, so cooking could take longer depending on the number of plates you'd want, but then it would be ready for all, no wasting needed. I know, kinda like the sims, but seems feasible.

JonoRig

Well realistically you wouldn't prepare the meals individually, so a grouped meal cooking makes sense. Also, you don't cook your dinner weeks on advance and then just eat it without sticking in the fridge and recooking it, so it makes sense it would spoil in a day or too, I'm mighty sure I wouldn't enjoy a potato soup, let along one that was left on the floor for 5 days

daft73

Agree with the rest. I have a small amount of food at all times. With 3 colonists I never make more than 12. I just up the count every few new colonists. ;)

codyo

Quote from: JonoRig on October 05, 2014, 05:14:27 AM
Well realistically you wouldn't prepare the meals individually, so a grouped meal cooking makes sense. Also, you don't cook your dinner weeks on advance and then just eat it without sticking in the fridge and recooking it, so it makes sense it would spoil in a day or too, I'm mighty sure I wouldn't enjoy a potato soup, let along one that was left on the floor for 5 days

Realism doesn't always make games fun though.