[Mod request] Birth mod

Started by Axeyos, October 05, 2014, 06:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axeyos

I have idea for a mod.
If it is possible please make a mode that you can make children , then they will grow and get random statistics.Is it possible?

MisterLock

1.I don't think so.
2.Why would you even want this?This is not the sims...Rimworld doesn't cover a duration of around 20 years.It would take waaay to long for that supossed child to develop!Between all the raider atacks and the random animal wave atacks caused by physic drones and your colonists going mental,I don't think the child would even reach past infancy.
3.Overall from my 2 points...A really bad Idea,I don't want to sound harsh,but it's better not to even try making this mod,you have raider incap chance.Use it.
To each his own.

Kirid

There is already a thread about this. Sex and Babies Quite a bit of good discussion and opinions.
Quote from: MisterLock on October 05, 2014, 11:58:43 AM
This is not the sims...
This is the common lame argument against the idea.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Visitor000

well i say that it would be good to the STORY if colonists had children or relationships, because rimworld is all about story, and hay maybe being on a planet that is not earth means longer/shorter years.
why have the baby mobile, put that baby in a crib. and no this is not the sims this is rimworld a colony SIMulator, and im pretty shore that colonies had babies
I am a creator of Worlds. I give birth to children of varying backgrounds. I manipulate and torture at a will, causing pain and suffering to all those around me. But am also merciful in some cases, bringing joy and prosperity when I see fit.

I am an Author.

Dickhat

1.I don't think so.
2.Why would you even want this?This is not the sims...Rimworld doesn't cover a duration of around 20 years.It would take waaay to long for that supossed child to develop!Between all the raider atacks and the random animal wave atacks caused by physic drones and your colonists going mental,I don't think the child would even reach past infancy.
3.Overall from my 2 points...A really bad Idea,I don't want to sound harsh,but it's better not to even try making this mod,you have raider incap chance.Use it.

Seeing how this game is heavily based on DF ( it's even written in it's homepage ) and family trees and having children is a huge part of having a good dorf fort I think we can expect in the future to have some sort of family/birth system in the game even though "it's not the sims".  ;)

Evul

Save the children! The raiders are here!
That could be a interesting scenario. Cause the game now ageing and children could be nice dimension. But could add a new raid type. :)

Evul

Quote from: Kirid on October 05, 2014, 05:09:40 PM
There is already a thread about this. Sex and Babies Quite a bit of good discussion and opinions.
This is not the sims...
This is the common lame argument against the idea.

Agree it's not a argument against anything. Cause this game aren't anyone other game it's Rimworld. Simular or no a game comparison is not a argument against or for anything.

Anyway this is a mod forum and i have probably moded that if I could.

nerevar

I feel like a good way to go about it would be to have a building or drug that accelerates the growth of children, just to get things on the same day to day timescale, wouldn't do to take 18 in game years to get a usable character.  Maybe like a cloning vat type thing, with appropriate research ofc., or just chems you buy from traders.

Would really love to see births, but I'm guessing it would be a lot of work.

Evul

Yeah i thougt somthing like that ^^

Angie

That's the nice thing about Mods- if you want the offered enhancement, you can use it. If you don't, you don't have to. The argument about whether or not kiddies are feasable or desirable should go away at that point.

I, for one, like the added dimention of relationships and possible offspring- and maybe being on a planet that is "not Earth" may cause human youngsters to grow rapidly like a wee little sapling wiggling it's way up, like those sped-up National Geographic videos, and once they hit say 16/18 "years" of age, they acclimatize and regulate to yearly birthdays like the rest of the old farts. They could do simple yet increasing tasks along the way, and start from small to normal amounts of food as they grow.

Varnhagen

Historically, childhood is fairly new concept and started out in the wealthier upper classes of the 19th century. With increasing national wealth in the west most children enjoy a state of childhood today, which doesn't require them to work, while in large parts of the world it still holds true that children are needed to provide some sort of income to the family household.
I'd say, make 'em worker bees from the age of 4. Kids that age understand simple tasks. No need for fast-ageing, but for balancing the game to have it going for that long in the first place. I think children are of minor importance right now. The game needs to be beefed up content- and mechanics-wise first.

benk0913

It will require relations system, otherwise colonists will focus humping all day instead of working.
And your colony will be spammed with tons of age 0 colonists that will hump each other too.

Shitscrazy

Anyways, its a super cool idea and a good way to get more colonists in to your colony. Just make the aging alittle faster so the new born colonists will be efficent in some way.

And it's not a difficult thing to make tho'.

Dickhat

Quote from: benk0913 on October 08, 2014, 06:05:02 AM
focus humping all day instead of working.
And your colony will be spammed with tons of age 0 colonists that will hump each other too.

Just like cats in dwarf fortress.

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Ouan

I will have to check out the other forum part for its discussion, but I think a baby mod is a cool idea. I know that most peoples' fortresses (ahem... colonies) do not go past two years before they either become static or you find a new mod that you "have" to install which breaks the colony, but I think this is a great idea for a mod to work on now so that once the relationships matter, we can make friend/ enemy relations as well as the whole baby making machine (or cat madness).
I love playing through a colony each update vanilla and then going deep into the dark corners of the mod community to make the least buggiest modded colony possible, and I think this would be great. Perhaps it could work as the random event in the vanilla game where someone joins your colony (only happened to me one time with an A6 game, but it does happen). As for children growth, you might just change the birthdate cycling, so that each "year" in game, the colonists age 4 or so and make the "babies" get the ability to haul after one year and to start to get traits.. Cannibal/ Psychopathic babies that are fast walkers and workers will become a must have for all colonies.
Damn Pirates!