Bullet in the brain

Started by Ink., October 05, 2014, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lechai

This is Rimworld!

Stuff happens and it's up to YOU to sometimes make hard decisions.

• Do you keep them alive (like a loved one) despite then not contributing much.
  • Do you sell them to a slaver in hopes that their new owner has the means to help.
  • Do you sell them to a slaver because you don't care and like money.
  • Do you harvest their organs so that they may save another life as a final act of sacrifice.
  • Do you harvest their organs because you don't care and like money.
  • Do you enact a mercy killing, bury them in a prominent place in your colony and then build a crypt around it for future generations to honour...

Welcome to the Story of Rimworld.

Mikhail Reign

Orion has served me well. A passion for cooking and growing, reasonable social and medical skill, forever an optimist and a taste for human flesh. During a raid she took a LMG round to the head. After a long sleep she woke up with a -7 impairment. While she was sleeping I removed a kidney and lung in anticipation of her either not waking up, or being euthanized.

But then, I had a thought, maybe she could still serve?

After a trial run being the warden (with a locked door, and butcher and cooking table inside - she provided her own meals from... uncooperative captives), and a brief stint as a medical hand (was always a grimace watching her slowly make her way over the the 'patient', who was not so voluntarily about to be an organ donor), she was moved to the storage room behind the kitchen. She would slowly make a few meals over the course of the day, or maybe go outside and plant some food.

Often she would get hungry on the way back - sometimes nearly starving (sometimes someone would take the last plate from the dinning room she had finally made it into and have to make a half day detour to the next room over) but she would never complain. Always the optimist.

Despite the fact that she never carries a weapon, she has even partaken in a few desperate last stands, slowly making her way inside to grab a rifle, to stand in the door way and cover everyone else as they fall back. Even racked up a couple of notches post-brain injury.

Eventually I put in a new door in the store room (that broke the symmetry to my base), specifically so she only had a 3 block walk to the dinner table and now she would actually get a decent amount of planting done. It was around this time (about 2 years in), that the colony noticed that. despite STILL running on a single lung an kidney, she had become a quiet a proficient farmer and cook. Since the base now was running in excess of some bionics everyone figured she had earned a break. A couple of new legs and arms later, and she was back up to 70% capability in mobility and manipulation, with dibs on the next set of eyes.. She doesn't quiet keep up with everyone, but it has made a noticeable improvement. Bet she wishes she had the upgrades before that tortoise ran her down and took her ear....

keylocke

or there needs to be a new furniture called Digitized Brain Storage (about 1 tile size each), where each one can hold the brainz data of the colonist assigned to it. which can then be used to "reprogram" an AI for brain transplant.

b0rsuk

Engie was quite possibly my best colonist, but she took a PWD bullet to the brain. Now she's 5/15. I thought about getting rid of her, or giving up. Another of my initial colonists, Vector the Kingpin, was smacked to death with a rifle. He lost a melee fight, and he was a 12 Melee brawler with a plasteel knife !!! I outmaneuvered an enemy and my tactics went to hell.

But she can contribute. She's tolerable at stonecutting and few people have time to do that. She can cook a meal. In really tough times she was feeding patients. She can sow, there's always more fields to take care of. The best thing she's cold-tolerant, so I don't really have to heat up her stonecutter cabin.

You can do a few things to help. Place the cripple's bed in the workshop room. Place a critical 1-tile food stockpile in there. Place wooden floors on her common paths to speed up walking.

Vexare

Quote from: ZestyLemons on October 05, 2014, 01:22:58 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure even with severe brain injuries, a colonist can wake up.

I remember someone posting a picture of some colonist that took an M16 bullet to the brain (-7) and eventually woke up.

By 'woke up' do you mean goes back to being completely normal again with improved stats and abilities?

My best medic took a bullet to the brain and was a vegetable wandering around doing next to nothing for quite awhile and she DID "wake up" after about a week I guess...but she was never quite the same. It was sad but I actually love this because it made her life and death much more memorable. After she 'woke up' from her near catatonic state, she was very slow and mentally retarded in everything. As others have suggested, we made her into the colony's cleaning maid until she got shot again by moving too slowly during a raid and we finally just put her out of her misery (euthanize option). :( RIP little weeble!

ZestyLemons

Quote from: Vexare on March 04, 2015, 03:42:09 AM
Quote from: ZestyLemons on October 05, 2014, 01:22:58 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure even with severe brain injuries, a colonist can wake up.

I remember someone posting a picture of some colonist that took an M16 bullet to the brain (-7) and eventually woke up.

By 'woke up' do you mean goes back to being completely normal again with improved stats and abilities?

My best medic took a bullet to the brain and was a vegetable wandering around doing next to nothing for quite awhile and she DID "wake up" after about a week I guess...but she was never quite the same. It was sad but I actually love this because it made her life and death much more memorable. After she 'woke up' from her near catatonic state, she was very slow and mentally retarded in everything. As others have suggested, we made her into the colony's cleaning maid until she got shot again by moving too slowly during a raid and we finally just put her out of her misery (euthanize option). :( RIP little weeble!

By 'wake up' I mean become conscious. Any colonist that takes injuries or the brain is permanently handicapped by their injuries, as brain injuries instantly scar and never heal. Eyes also instantly scar, but you can obviously replace those.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Zuban Artig

Some of the bionic and cyber mods have stuff you can mend a broken brain with. It's not removing the brain and putting in an AI core, but leaving the rest of the brain in, and put a computer inside too, to assist somehow.
The Cyberstorm mod has something like that for example.

CodyRex123

I think if you add bionic parts, their speed can be increase to AT least the normal.
Dragons!

Ykara

I never sell my colonists nor do I euthanize them. If someone gets shot in the brain, I normally do nothing and let do the work they have done before. Only if the colonist was a cook or a doctor I replace them with other colonists. And as soon as possible I craft them brain implants (I always play modded).