Games I'm working on

Started by Justin C, October 06, 2014, 12:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin C

Instead of making another thread about my newest game I figured I'd just re-purpose this thread I made for Swarming.

Untitled Rogue-Lite Shooter
I started this project back in October, but then my dev computer died on me in November and I wound up shelving the game for a few months. I came back to it about a month ago and it's finally starting to resemble a playable game.

All art is just placeholder.

About the game:
This game will be a rogue-lite dungeon crawler. The player will explore procedurally generated dungeons killing randomized enemies and collecting randomized weapons and armor.

Death will be permanent, but there will be some kind of meta-progression. I'm still tossing around ideas for how it will work, but I am thinking it will be somewhere along the lines of passing a selection of armor/weapons from your playthrough and a portion of your acquired wealth onto the next character to run through the dungeon (probably an heir, but the story doesn't really matter at this point). So the inherited money (after a substantial death tax is applied) will be used to purchase permanent unlocks which will affect future playthroughs, and inherited weapons/armor can be selected as starting items for future playthroughs.

Video:
Here's a short video showing my progress so far.

(Best viewed at 60 FPS in Chrome)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-FM5D9dXQc

That video shows off some of what I have done so far: Basic enemies, basic weapons and weapon/ammo drops, procedurally generated dungeons and a basic minimap.

Right now the enemies just start chasing you if you come within a certain number of tiles of them. Once they see you they will chase you around the entire map until you kill them. Weapons have spread and recoil, so the faster you shoot the less accurate the weapon becomes (that's what the two yellow lines attached to the character are showing). The dungeon is generated on demand. In the video when the player goes through the door at the end the next map is generated then. Right now every single dead-end tile has a chest that drops weapons and ammo.

That's pretty much it. I'd talk about all of my ideas for the game but I'd be writing all day. Feel free to leave any suggestions you have here. Nothing is set in stone, so if you have an idea that I like it might eventually make it into the game.

Swarming: Eradication
Update (April 2015): The game has been improved a lot since I started this thread. The most recent version can be downloaded on GameJolt:
http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/swarming-eradication/35622/

This game was originally developed over a week or so for the OneGameAMonth challenge, but the development has continued a bit since then. I am not actively working on the project, but I do occasionally return to it to see if improvements can be made.

The game was written entirely in LUA using the Love2D engine.

How to play:
You have planets that produce space ships, and you send those ships to other planets to take control of them. Your goal is to beat the blue and red AIs and take control of the entire map. It's very similar to games like Galcon and Eufloria.

Bigger planets produce ships more quickly than smaller ones, but have more HP, making them take much longer to capture.

Controls:
Click and drag on a planet to choose the number of ships you want to select. When you have units selected you can click on any other planet and they will go there.

If you want to move all units from one planet to another you can click on the planet of origin, hold and drag to the destination, and release.

BetaSpectre

So its like Solar Max 2; I like this concept TBH.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Justin C

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 06, 2014, 02:19:14 AM
I just looked it up. It's the same style of game, yeah.

Shinzy

Green & Blue edition

;D
Really reminds me of Phage Wars and Civilization Wars at Armor games
played the heck out of both veeery loooong ago

Justin C

Quote from: Shinzy on October 06, 2014, 05:29:47 AM
           Green & Blue edition

;D
Really reminds me of Phage Wars and Civilization Wars at Armor games
played the heck out of both veeery loooong ago
Swarming: Eradication is a fitting title, and Google doesn't turn up any games with similar names. I think I'm stealing it. :P

a89a89

Justin C

Quote from: a89a89 on October 06, 2014, 03:02:44 PM
Will this work for mac?
This version won't, sorry. For the next release version I will include the .love file so it can be run on Mac or Linux. You'll have to install the Love2D game engine before it will work though, since there doesn't seem to be any way of making a stand-alone distribution of a Love2D game for Mac or Linux.

Coenmcj

Quote from: BetaSpectre on October 06, 2014, 02:19:14 AM

My thoughts exactly. :)

I'll give it a shot when I get home, I've always liked these sorts of games and I need something to preoccupy me inbetween Rimworld sessions.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Justin C

I've improved the game a bit, and I have added it to GameJolt so people can actually play it.

http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/swarming-eradication/35622/

Patch notes:
Quote- Added a third (Red) faction. This should increase the variation a bit and make it less about just trying to be more efficient than one AI.
- The AI will now move a minimum of 3 units when attacking. This should make it easier to out-micro-manage the AI if you really want to. It also makes the game a bit more aesthetically pleasing, and makes the AI seem a bit more human.
- Diminishing returns have been added to the squad sizes for attacking and capturing planets:0 The first 50 units will have an attack power of 100%; the next 25 will have an attack power of 70%; the next 25 will have an attack power of 40%; and every unit after that will have an attack power of 10%. This makes end-game fights and planet capturing last longer, and it also increases the amount of damage a smaller fleet will be able to deal to a larger fleet before being wiped out. This also gives you one more way of being more efficient than the AI.
- The map solar system is now bigger than the size of the window, and I added camera scrolling with the middle mouse button. While currently the map will still be roughly the same size every game, this opened the game up for the possibility of arbitrary map sizes later on.
- Added music: Spacial Harvest by Kevin MacLeod. It's a relaxing ambient song, and it matches the slow pace of the game pretty well.

Also, I'd appreciate votes and reviews on GameJolt very much. ;D

Xminor1

If you aren't trying to get this greenlit on Steam, I highly suggest that you do. This game is awesome.
Kill All Humans!

I know that I exist... do you?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Justin C

Quote from: Xminor1 on October 15, 2014, 12:52:22 AM
If you aren't trying to get this greenlit on Steam, I highly suggest that you do. This game is awesome.
I'm glad you enjoy the game! ;D

No, I don't plan on attempting to Greenlight it. It's fine for GameJolt, but it has a long way to go before it's good enough for Steam. And even if I ever got it to a point where I'd be comfortable releasing it on Steam, I really don't think there's a market for the game anyway.

It could definitely use your support on GameJolt though!

SacoMato

Cool game, Justin.
I'd buy a game with this concept for my android devices.

Justin C

I just updated the OP with another game I've put a couple months worth of work into. There's no demo just yet but I have some gameplay footage. I'm looking for feedback and suggestions.

Also, Swarming was recently updated on Game Jolt.