[A11b] Enhanced Defence - 0.19.1 - 07/07/2015 (New Poll)

Started by Jaxxa, October 06, 2014, 03:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should this be separate mods or one big mod split into modules. (Read Page 30)

Keep it as it is
101 (49.3%)
Split it up into separate mods
104 (50.7%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Jaxxa

Quote from: kingtyris on March 13, 2015, 01:46:48 PM
Not sure if its a bug or if I simply misunderstood, but I was under the impression that the fortress shield should prevent drop pod attacks within their zone of cover? Yet I had an army of mechs drop right in on my fortress shielded trade zones.

That is the theory of how it should work. Unfortunately there looks to be a bug that can clause some to come through, but at this stage I am uncertain how I can fix it.

Quote from: silentlord on March 16, 2015, 03:20:47 PM
just installed this and wondering how does the autoloader hopper work. when i click it and go to place.... its red no matter where in the map i place it, or even the turrets. on them, around them.

Currently the Autoloader is only needed by the Stargate module.

Quote from: mrzjadacz on March 25, 2015, 04:05:52 AM
So, repair mode is useless in  Shields other than SIF?
Yes, although you should only see the option for it on the SIF shield. Not all shields have all options.

Quote from: mrzjadacz on March 25, 2015, 04:05:52 AM
Block direct block only bullet from outside shield to inside, or everyone? I saw that my colonists Sometimes bugging and need to shoot down shield before they can shoot in to enemies.
The direct block should block everything coming into it, friendly or not. If you get into the situation of needing to fire through one you can use the toggle direct option to let everything in. SIF shields work a bit differently and should block all hostile fire and allow all friendly fire regardless of direction.

Quote from: rditto48801 on March 25, 2015, 01:33:45 PM
Hello.

I really love this mod so far, although after having some recent issues, I tracked down two bugs to ED.
To ED-Vehicles to be more specific.
Hey rditto, Glad you like the mod.
Bug #1:Log spam, regarding InstallScytherKnifeProtrusion.
Sorry My bad, ED-Vehicles is still a work in progress and not ready for release. I meant to remove it from the release version but have forgotten a few times.

Bug 2:

Sounds like it is also related to ED-Vehicles being enabled.

Minor issue.
Personal Nanno Shield sells for $0.50
Checking the xml files, I saw the Nanno and Nano version both have a market value of 0.
Thanks will look into that. Although it is probably not a huge problem as there would be a bunch of better ways to earn money.
Question:
Is the SIF Shield supposed to ignore Embrasures?
I am guessing it is due to no way for it to tell the difference between friendly and hostile fire.
No it is not, that is a bug. It should protect Embrasures and block hostile fire in both directions and allow friendly fire to pass through.

Question 2:
Not certain about that, haven't tested it.
You MIGHT be able to keep both and rename the thingClass and Class to the newer version.

Opinion about the shields.
The small shields seem to use a lot of power compared to the standard shield.
Since they have 1/4 the shield radius, and cover maybe 1/16 the area, just using half the energy in sustaining mode seems a bit off.
Is there a reason for that? Such as just being a trade off for having it not be an obstacle and being smaller in terms of physical size?

Another question.
Would it be alright if I were to suggest some stray ideas I had regarding shields, and perhaps new shield types?

Thanks for the note. Haven't had heaps of time to actually playtest them and balance and content suggestions are always welcome.

mrzjadacz

Ok, I understood. I had in my bunker a few cells which was covered by more than one shield. I already reorganized it .

rditto48801

Thanks for the info.
I'll disable ED Vehicles then.

On the previous version (0.16.0, which I still use due to the whole nanno/nano typo fix thing), I never saw the SID 'shield effect' on Embrasures, only normal walls and doors.
Having SIDs on Embrasures is just the thing could use right now. For a panic room with turrets.

Edit:
Scratch that.
I got an SID built in my present colony and it is covering Embrasures. (edit 3: And sandbags, very handy. Intended or not? end edit 3)
Thinking back, the Embrasures that apparently weren't covered before in my previous colony were all within the areas of Small or Standard Shields, with the SID placed last. So I wonder if it was covered, just not showing the individual shield effects. or if it was an older instance of ED than I thought at the time. Whatever the cause, the issue is gone now.
end edit.

One of the merchants (I think it was an exotic goods merchant) was selling the Nanno Shield Class 1 for $0.50 each.
The ones I had (stockpiled in a storage room so they weren't degrading just from being worn) had a much cheaper price to sell to the merchant. (I think $0.08 each).
I wasn't planning to sell them, but being able to stock up on 6 more of them for 3 silver...

I have seen the Repair Mode option listed for shields other than the SID in 0.16.0, like the Standard Shield. It appears to just toggle the displayed shield coverage area on and off.
Even if it doesn't repair (haven't tested that), it's nice being able to toggle the visible shield area covered effect on and off.
Edit 2:
There are two Repair Mode icons for shields. One (SID only) shows the wrench type icon. The others and the SID also have a Repair Mode icon that looks like two green squares slightly overlapping at the corners with a green checkmark or red X based on how it is toggled. I am guessing it is a mixup with icon names.
end edit 2.
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

Dr. Watson. Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.

Jaxxa

Sandbags intended to be covered.

Yes it looks like the Toggle visuals accidentally had the text for Repair mode.
Will be fixed in the next release, but working fine except for the description.

rditto48801

Still no pirates for some reason, still getting an error of some sort that seems related to ED.
ED Vehicles is disabled.

From the output log.
(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Could not load reference to Verse.ThingDef named ShieldedHuman_Leather

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Could not load reference to Verse.ThingDef named ShieldedHuman_Corpse

Could not load reference to Verse.ThingDef named ShieldedHuman_Meat

Not sure if I mucked up something somewhere or not. Still on 0.16.0 due to having not had a chance to trying to get the old nanno shield stuff working with new nano shield stuff.[/

Edit:
Not getting the above error anymore. Seems to be a one time thing from after I disabled ED Vehicles.
I am guessing stockpiles placed before it was disabled still had those items listed.
Still no pirates though.
end edit.

Oh, here are some off the shield ideas I mentioned having, I thought they might have some niche to fill in ED.

Mini-Shield.
Very small coverage. Only covers its own space and the adjacent spaces (5 spaces total), and be able to stand on it.  Nothing to powerful, maybe 250 shield strength tops, quick recharge rate (maybe 5-10 points per second?). Very energy efficient in sustain mode, but an energy hog in charging mode. (100 sustained, 500 charging?). 10 second cooldown if depleted or when first powered up. It would be more akin to a 'shield wall' and protect only from direct fire, and so not protect from fires or indirect fire. A basic defense option for turrets and colonists, would be researched after the Small Shield.

Static Nano Shield (okay, could use a better name)
A small shield that can be stood on, protects from fire, direct fire and indirect fire, only covers the space it is in. 500 shield strength, 100 energy sustained, 200 charging, slow recharge rate (1/second), quick cooldown (5 seconds). Meant for defensive positions for colonists, to help protect a few number of defenders from larger numbers of attackers, and poorly suited for sustained battles due to the slow recharge rate. If not to OP, also protect from melee damage. Researched after Fortress Shield.

Umbrella Shield.
Variant of the Fortress shield. Protects from indirect attacks and fires. Does not protect against direct fire, does not do much to drop pods. Not very powerful defense wise, perhaps only on par with the Small Shield in terms of shield capacity and recharge rate, with the radius and cooldown time of the fortress shield, and energy drain equal to the standard shield. Meant more to protect areas from fire, and to stop limited indirect fire only long enough to get colonists and valuable items to a safer area.
For a secondary idea, limited protection from drop pods due to weaker power than a Fortress Shield. (if possible within reason anyways)
70% chance of landing normally.
20% chance of hard landing (an idea of impacts causing ripples in the shield, possibly knocking the pod off balance so retro rockets can't fire directly in the direction of travel. If possible, occupant spawns incapacitated or wounded.)
10% chance of crashing and being destroyed on impact (maybe the fire suppression system 'hits' a retro rocket when they fire, causing them to be off balance and flip the pod instead of slowing it down.)
Researched after Fortress Shield.

A random idea that just popped into mind.
A Shield Booster. Not very energy efficient device, basically boosts the recharge rate of shields it is adjacent to, although the larger the shield the less effective the boost.
Basic energy use 25 idle, 250 assisting shield recharge.
Buffing Small Shield, 2 points per second, max 2 buffing a single Small Shield.
Buffing Standard Shield, 1 point per second, max of 4 (so all 4 sides)
Buffing SID/Fortress Shield, 0.5 point per second, max 4 for SID, 8 for Fortress Shield.
Basically an alternative to building several shield generators covering the same area.

For the Small Shield, still thinking it might be better to halve its present energy drain in recharge and sustain mode due to the small coverage area. (500 recharging, 250 sustained)

One other thing I was curious about.
Do the shields have any sort of 'armor' by any chance?
Would it be possible to make them configurable in game to take less damage from one type of damage (such as electric) but take more from other types of damage (such as sharp)
Or perhaps to have optional upgrades or variations that could give them protection from one or more types of damage?

What would happen if I were to build two SIDs covering the same length of walls/embrasures/doors? Do effects stack, such damage be split evenly between then, or maybe just have one take all the damage until depleted before the other one starts stopping damage? Or some other effect?

edit:
I had a Mechanoid Centipede shoot an incendiary round into my defense bunker, through Embrasures covered by the SID shield.
It was still at 2k shield strength at the time.
Everything else and all other incendiary rounds were stopped.
Bug? Or just a darn lucky shot like someone parking an arrow through an arrow slit from the other side at a hundred paces on a windy day?
end edit.
Always (less than) eager to stockpile 3 metric tons of steel to replicate a useful gun.

Skyler

Quote from: Jaxxa on October 06, 2014, 03:29:39 AM
I have not had much time to playtest this, so let me know any balance or other issues that you find.
I am having issues with the personal and regular shield mods I cannot place either of them and when I go to place them where it should say 100 steel it says unchosen material please help!

Jaxxa

Quote from: Skyler on April 01, 2015, 04:34:06 PM
Quote from: Jaxxa on October 06, 2014, 03:29:39 AM
I have not had much time to playtest this, so let me know any balance or other issues that you find.
I am having issues with the personal and regular shield mods I cannot place either of them and when I go to place them where it should say 100 steel it says unchosen material please help!

Please read through the FAQ. If that does not fix it then post the information requested at the end.
https://github.com/jaxxa/RimWorld-Enhanced-Defence/wiki/FAQ-Problems

rditto48801

An idea popped into mind as I have been dealing with a shortage of stuff like synthread, and was staring at my omnigel stockpile.

The idea.
Allowing the Replicators to make textiles.
Cloth: Made at Mk I Replicator. Maybe base of 2-5 cloth per 10 Omnigel?
Synththread. Make at Mk II Replicator. Maybe a base of 10-20 per 75 Omnigel?
Hyperweave. Make at Mk III Replicator. Maybe a base of 5 per 100 Omnigel?

For a related idea, a Synthetic Leather, perhaps made at the Mk II Replicator.
Basically an 'average' quality leather in terms of stats, except with above average insulation and good armor against sharp. Maybe get a base of 10 per 75 Omnigel?

AntiMatter

Adds a Stargate System, Allows for the Transport of Personnel and Supplies between Colonies.

how!? how did you come across the method of this? please do indulge me! my curiosity is over the wall!
so let me get this straight. if i have a stargate in two of my colonies but they're not on the same map (say different co-ordinates) it will work?

haven't tried it out i took a looooong month off RW
sometimes, all you need is to get out and push.
-Jeb kerman

filippe999

Is it possible to make synththread from omnigel with a sufficiently high tier of replicator?
Just read the wiki, it's not possible, can you add that in?

skellitor301

You know, that stargate addition would be a great bridge for multiplayer. Where people play on the same world, just on their own colonies, and they work together/against eachother through the stargates. If against, they could either drop in or hack their stargate

Ninefinger

f0xh0und696

Inertial Mage

i bet it wont but is this version of alpha 9 able to work with alpha 10

skullywag

No it wont be. Youll have to wait for the update.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?