[Mod request] Processing machines

Started by noone, October 06, 2014, 05:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noone

Alright, so here is a lazy attempt, but here it goes anyway ... ;)

I'd be keen to add some processing machines for the latter part of the game. The idea is that for the price of research and power, you can by-pass the need for colonists to be actually involved in the processing of X to Z. These machines would be fed by dedicated hoppers (so that you can use conveyor belts to feed them ;) ).

Specifically, I am thinking of 2-3 machines right now:
- a rock crusher: takes rock chunks, and turns them into sand tiles - i.e. it does the opposite of the fertilizer in turning ground into a desert. Really, I'm after a way of getting rid of rock chunks ... the desert creation part is for fun and balance ...
- an automated furnace: takes any 'organic' item (incl. corpses) material and burns it off. You'd need to supply wood as well.
- an automated smelter: takes anything 'metallic' (weapons, slag chunks) and turns it into usable metal pieces. You'd need to supply wood as well (and lots of it ...)

These would probably be ~3x3 in size with distinct designs. I am on the edge of coding it myself, but I now that I won't have time to maintain these through future alpha's, and I'd hate to see this mod go straight on the Wall of Forgotten Mods ... ;)

So here's my shout out to anyone out there keen to collaborate and implement something along the lines above !

EDIT: come to think of it, the automated furnace should also be smart enough to strip colonists before burning them, so you can get the clothes out easily.

noone

I had some spare minutes and put together some possible art (needs some refining) for the machines I have in mind (i.e. the rock crusher and the automated apparel removal unit = AARU).

I thought I'd post it here and use this as an excuse to bump this thread once ... won't do that again I swear ;) If anyone is keen on coding these, I could generate more art along these lines. Note that they're supposed to be 6x6 (and not 3x3 as mentioned above). In the long term, I would hope to animate these structures (pistons going up/down and the wheels rotating).

These could be fed by hoppers, or directly from the A2B belt unloaders.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]