What's with the walls?

Started by KugelBlitz, October 30, 2014, 10:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KugelBlitz

So why did the walls change in Alpha 7? They were perfect in Alpha 6. I enjoyed the way they "stuck" to the rock face when building in a mountian. It made base-building especially satisfying because it looked so good. Now the walls no longer stick. On top of that, the side of the wall which is touching the rock face is considered "outside" while the inside is still inside. My walls went from beautiful to ugly in one day, and what's extremely annoying is when the base is under siege the mortar shots now hit the walls due to it (that's my guess).
I thought the whole point of building in a mountain is to be safe from mortar... I can't see a single good reason for these changes or maybe I'm just a bit slow.

My pic shows that even my colonists agree with me on this one.
http://imgur.com/3mOlRoy

Please do one of two things. Either tell me why the change or fix this drek!

BetaSpectre

Fill in the gap between the wall and rock. Is what the OP is saying basically right?

I agree TBH, its not like we can see past walls IRL anyway so no harm done.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Cimanyd

In A7, there aren't specific different wall structures ("stone wall" etc.) at all, just "wall" that can be made of different stuff, so that little feature didn't stay around.

This is a way to make walls (all walls, not just stone or metal walls, since there is no such thing as a stone wall anymore, just a wall that can be made of stuff) link with rock, by editing the ThingDefs Buildings_Structure file. I'm using that method.

Tynan said here "I didn't realize this would disturb so many people. I can fix it though." so A8 might change it.

(Funny, I had thought only stone walls merged with rock in A6, and I liked that, but after looking at the files for this post, it was both stone and metal, just not wood. I never tend to use metal walls, just wood for the early game and stone once I get far enough to research and craft it.)

Quote from: KugelBlitz on October 30, 2014, 10:32:47 PMOn top of that, the side of the wall which is touching the rock face is considered "outside" while the inside is still inside. My walls went from beautiful to ugly in one day, and what's extremely annoying is when the base is under siege the mortar shots now hit the walls due to it (that's my guess).
I thought the whole point of building in a mountain is to be safe from mortar... I can't see a single good reason for these changes or maybe I'm just a bit slow.

I'm not sure what you mean? I was under the impression it was only a visual thing, not something that would affect gameplay. If you mouse over a square that isn't undiscovered, you can see what kind of roof is over it. If it's overhead mountain, it can't be hit by mortars. (mortar shells that hit it will just make a satisfying sound effect and not do anything)
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Headshotkill

Although I noticed it too I think if it's a lot of work we should focus on other features first, however if it's a quick fix then I would like it being fixed.

skullywag

Mortars hit simply because you do not have "overhead mountain" above you i.e. roof "isThick" nothing more.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

caffienatedjedi

I believe the mortars hitting through mountain roofs is part of rebalancing to keep everyone from just digging into a cliff and turtling. Cannot confirm though.

Kelian

Quote from: caffienatedjedi on November 02, 2014, 05:22:09 PM
I believe the mortars hitting through mountain roofs is part of rebalancing to keep everyone from just digging into a cliff and turtling. Cannot confirm though.

I still don't see what is wrong with this. It's a perfectly logical and solid strategy. If you don't want to turtle there is plenty of open range on the world in non mountainous biomes to build outside on.

It's really personal preference and shouldn't be forced on players one way or the other.

Vas

I do like it better when the walls aren't separated from the natural rock.  They should undo this change.  I wouldn't spend time squeezing in behind my wall, working on that side to make it all nice and pretty and solid wall like if I'm not gonna be on that side, I'd just build my wall smushed up against the rock.  I kinda think mountain bases are ugly now.

As for building a base inside a mountain, it is a solid strategy, and personal preference.  It really shouldn't be anything forced on players.  Though I'm not exactly sure what you guys said was forced, because this topic is about walls mixing with natural rock.  :P  Not walls blocking mortar fire.  Half read it, very tired.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

BassMonroe

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't tynan say he'd fixed this for the next alpha? I'm sure i saw it on the changelog a couple of weeks back.

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: BassMonroe on November 06, 2014, 08:41:02 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't tynan say he'd fixed this for the next alpha? I'm sure i saw it on the changelog a couple of weeks back.

If you look up to Cimanyd's post, he mentions the places that Tynan said he would fix it.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...