Opening doors

Started by BinaryBlackhole, November 06, 2014, 01:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinaryBlackhole

Okay heres my idea you can open auto doors without making a colonist go through them this means that doors wont be destroyed every time a raider comes along because doors are supposed to slow down raiders buyyu get bored rebuilding them every time.

Wex

Putting aside grammar and syntax, what is suggested here is actually a good idea.
I build a stone autodoor for my main colony entrance. Many and many times over.
Would it be so hard having a button to keep it (and all doors) open?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

BassMonroe

You mean manually opening a door if raiders are attacking it to let them through?

Yeah i'd support this :)

Johnny Masters

Doors slow down raiders? I always felt they are more like welcoming mats. But yeah, direct control of doors would be nice.

JimmyAgnt007

Just like in Prison Architect, instead of waiting for guards you can just click them.  Id like this, doors are handy for delays but once they do their job its nice if you dont need to wait for them to be knocked down and forced to rebuild later.

Johnny Masters

Yep, at least they shouldn't be entirely destroyed, just damaged beyond use. That is, once suffered enough damage, they would remain opened until fixed. Unless there's an explosion i guess

JimmyAgnt007

Currently learning how to play Dwarf Fortress I now think on the topic of traps.  A door with a claymore on the other side, raider busts it open and boom.  might need to rebuild but at least its worth it.

BassMonroe

What about adding a self destruct to the door and choosing the type of blast it gives off when it is destroyed e.g.

*Raider kicks door in, door explodes with frag explosion possibly killing him.
*Mech breaks down door, door explodes with EMP explosion immobilising it.

P.s sorry for hijacking this thread, one idea leads to another ;)

Evul

I've been thinking on something like this to!
A way to make the door Owned, Colonist only and Public. would be awesome :)

Coenmcj

Would owned apply to prisoners so that we can make some proper prison cells?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Thorin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"