Geothermal Plant - Research

Started by Jarkiro, November 06, 2013, 09:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarkiro

Hey guys,

i like the fact that we have different Powerplants, but imho the GP is a bit overpowered. You get 4000W instead of the 1700 of a Solar Plant. But it works 24h. The Solar Plant has roughly 40-50% uptime, plus the energy you lose during a eclipse. So roughly you get 800Wd from a SP for 80 Metal and 4000Wd from a GP for 250 Metal. Of course you need a geysir, but when you are lucky and you have one close to your base, you won´t have any energy problems. 4000Wd (reliable) is enough to power to supply 8 turrets, dispenser, com and a few lamps.

Suggestion: Make GP a research option for 4k-5k, so you won´t have it too early

Greetings

Jarkiro

CyborgTriceratops

I was actually thinking of the other way around, allowing research to improve the output of geothermal plants by 10/20/30%. While it does provide a fair amount of power, they can be hard to get to, hard to use, and they are limited to 2 per map, or so I seem to find.

nnescio

Quote from: CyborgTriceratops on November 06, 2013, 09:57:15 AM
I was actually thinking of the other way around, allowing research to improve the output of geothermal plants by 10/20/30%. While it does provide a fair amount of power, they can be hard to get to, hard to use, and they are limited to 2 per map, or so I seem to find.

I usually find three per map -- two out in the open, and one hidden inside the mountain. Of course, this is hard to verify on the newer versions (in older versions you can attempt to construct floor tiles in undiscovered areas, letting you find steam vents easily).

CyborgTriceratops

I haven't been able to dig any massive bases yet, as college, work, and other real life duties have kept me busy enough to only be able to play a few games.

Wopian

A research ability to improve battery storage would benefit this too. (or unlocks a higher tech battery building)

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

ShadowDragon8685

I really want research to improve the power of my geotherm plants, or else come up with some way to produce alternative energy sources.

I've got one geothermal plant and I tried building another, completely walled-in, out in the open, with the open path to my colony proper still open so the raiders would pass by it, but they stopped and lit the damn thing on fire anyway, almost as if they somehow knew there was something expensive behind that wall and not any of the other walls on the way to my killbox.

So obviously, keeping that maintained autonomously is going to be tricky, and/or require so many turrets that it'll be producing basically no net gain.

I get that Tynan wants to force us to get out of our pillboxes and go shoot at people in the open, but that's bloody suicidal, and keeping up numbers is hard enough as it is. I haven't gotten a new recruit in about five cycles now. And even then it was a useless blasted con artist. At least courtesans consider picking up a gun and shooting bad guys not to be beneath them! I'd rather have someone who don't do physical work but will man the battle line than one who will, but won't do anything useful in a fight.
Raiders must die!

Bobthefarmer1

Quote from: nnescio on November 06, 2013, 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: CyborgTriceratops on November 06, 2013, 09:57:15 AM

I usually find three per map -- two out in the open, and one hidden inside the mountain. Of course, this is hard to verify on the newer versions (in older versions you can attempt to construct floor tiles in undiscovered areas, letting you find steam vents easily).
I've seen 6 per map atleast.

Stormkiko

QuoteQuote from: nnescio on Today at 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: CyborgTriceratops on Today at 09:57:15 AM

I've seen 6 per map atleast.

Suffice to say I think it's random. My current map has one uncovered, but I'm doing some heavy mining and expecting to find more.