[A15] Right Tool For The Job v1.16

Started by ItchyFlea, October 07, 2014, 01:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

You've got good points Noobshock. But I should mention that this mod was basically an offshoot of my work on my Neolithic Mod (really need to change the name at some point as it's inaccurate).

I forgot to add to the OP that this mod is under the CCASA. (Added it now.) Feel free to make the changes you're suggesting and post your version of the mod on the forums. If you'd like, I would even add a link to it in the OP of this thread. Trust me, if you can use a text editor, you can make the changes you're suggesting. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

daedelus

When you start the game, you can already mine and build stuff without tools. That sound realistic to you? Have you ever mined through rock for metal with your bare hands? This is one of those things in games where it's implied that you already have basic tools to do what you need to. Maybe I'm wrong and there's people out there that can dig through rocks with their fingertips, karate chop trees down into perfect 2x4's and having a pickaxe or an axe only makes the job go 20% faster. I wish I could do that. That said, having a slightly better metal pickaxe is unlikely to increase your efficiency by 20%. If you're gonna get that kinda bonus out of something you made from a chunk of metal and a stick, the regular tools should be made from plasteel and have a long crafting time..

The 150% for automatic tools could be considered realistic if it was balanced. In the real world, automatic tools like chainsaws and mining drills are pretty damn heavy. I'm not sure I know what an autohammer is or how it's capable of being the only tool needed to build a house 150% faster than the collection of tools the colonists had on their space ship, but that sounds pretty heavy too. I like the concept of automatic tools to speed things up but being that easy to obtain and weightless sort of kills it for me. I think if you're going to include the auto tools, they shouldn't just automatically be craft-able, certainly not with only one type of raw material that you found on the planet you just crashed on with no specialized training. If you're going for realism then tools like that were probably made in a large factory with very expensive machines not on a table you made with your bare hands that would likely resemble some neatly placed logs with some chunks of metal sprinkled on top.

Maybe put them on as an uncommon item for industrial traders to sell and also put a heavy movement restriction on them (especially the tool belt that can somehow hold 3 massive power tools), but I guess there are a lot of people that like getting the best stuff right away.

I'm just making suggestions, I understand if I get a few flames in reply. :)

I just think the numbers need to be tweaked because if you think about it, realism IS balance and there's a lot of variables to consider.

Noobshock

I'm really glad you didn't take it the wrong way since I did post a lot but really it's because the mod caught my eye for its simplicity and elegance (the kind of cool small extra feature mod people can easily pick up without being intimidated by too many changes at once). I just thought it would be a shame to not get the numbers "right", or at least somewhat right.

I'll see what I can come up with. If you want to be hardcore about lore consistency and not have metal costs above tables and the like, part of the opportunity cost should be diverted into a new workstation which can have its own conditions (like requiring a certain crafting skill level depending on the recipe like cooking, or needing some sort of "fuel" similar to the coal in DF). It's either that or a small silver cost, which would be great for "rationing" tools early game especially, but using silver as part of a crafting recipe creates another consistency problem, as I don't think Tynan has gone there and it doesn't look like he's going to, at least not as of yet.

If you have an idea for something which could credibly be used as fuel, feel free. Wood doesn't sound very satisfying, you don't just melt stuff by throwing it in a wood fire.

Igabod

I actually kinda like the suggestion that this not be an item you can make but can only find from industrial traders or something. You could then tweak the silver cost of the tool up or down as balance requires and the plausible explanation for the tools being really expensive is that you are on a planet really far from everything else so naturally the prices for things that are in demand would be higher.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Noobshock on October 17, 2014, 07:38:30 PM
-snip-
I'm fairly laid-back and you had proper constructive criticism, so I was willing to read what you said and consider it. Plus I'm a cat, so that might contribute to the laid-back attitude. Meow. :P

As for fuel, I had considered, many times, to have uranium as part of the crafting recipe for the power tools. Never really got around to adding that though.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Igabod

Quote from: ItchyFlea on October 17, 2014, 08:12:23 PM
Quote from: Noobshock on October 17, 2014, 07:38:30 PM
-snip-
I'm fairly laid-back and you had proper constructive criticism, so I was willing to read what you said and consider it. Plus I'm a cat, so that might contribute to the laid-back attitude. Meow. :P

As for fuel, I had considered, many times, to have uranium as part of the crafting recipe for the power tools. Never really got around to adding that though.

lol! radioactive power tools. They help you get the job done REALLY fast, but you might get cancer.

StorymasterQ

Plus I'm a cat, so that might contribute to the laid-back attitude. Meow. :P

Once and for all, Itchy, are you a cat or are you a flea? Or are you a cat with itchy fleas?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Igabod

Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 19, 2014, 10:39:21 PM

Once and for all, Itchy, are you a cat or are you a flea? Or are you a cat with itchy fleas?

Or are you a psychotic squirrel?

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Igabod on October 19, 2014, 10:44:22 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 19, 2014, 10:39:21 PM
Or are you a psychotic squirrel?

I'm a cat, with fleas, that sometimes make me itchy.

IIRC the psychotic squirrel was the first event I encountered in the game back in the pre-alpha.

harpo99999

and your pic looks just like my cuddle buzz(nickname) name was bozzley, unfortunately he got mouth cancer, and had to be put to sleep, and I STILL miss the big black cuddle buzz (all 20 pounds of muscle) and could even shake a concrete slab building with his second and third stage purrs, and I STILL want to scrach your chin

Noobshock

Here's my proposition:

"nuts & bolts" - new item available from industrial traders for 75 silver per unit (before any trading modifiers), industrial traders typically sell 2-3 units (this would need a texture). Nuts and bolts can also be found rarely in very small quantities (1-2) from pod crashes, for instance, and maybe as a semi-rare drop from mechanoids.

Basic tools cost 15 metal / 5 wood / 1 "nuts & bolts"

Tool belt buff speed reduced to 20% (switching specialized buffs to global work speed is a huge improvement on its own, no need to further increase speed)
Tool belt costs 1 Pickaxe, 1 Axe, 1 Hammer, 40 fabric

Advanced tools buff speed reduced to 100%
Advanced tools cost 50 plasteel / 3 "nuts & bolts"

Advanced tool belt buff speed reduced to 100%
Advanced tool belt costs 1 Drill, 1 Chainsaw, 1 Auto hammer, 60 LEATHER (exclude cloth, need stronger stuff to carry this much weight around)

Toolmaking - Replaces "Pneumatic Picks", 200 pts, unlocks the building Toolsmith's workbench and all basic recipes.
Advanced Toolmaking - New research, 800 pts, unlocks all the auto tools/belt recipes, requires "Toolmaking"

There you go. Basic picks are now a staple for your key miners (replaces pneumatic picks), everything costs you enough that nothing is really a no-brainer anymore, and industrial suppliers serve to limit the quantity of tools available.

Goes from being a mostly "please make the game easier" addon, to extra content that doesn't offensively break game balance.

Noobshock

FYI I'm almost done with my "take" on this, just gotta get the research unlocking recipes to work properly at this point.

For the nuts and bolts I picked up this from some sims game as a placeholder, which I'm assuming is not very kosher so I'll leave it out. I can't draw to save my life though so :/

ItchyFlea

iame6162013

This could make my game nice and hard *Evil laugh*
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."