[MOD] (Alpha 7) MaterialCrops - Grow stuff and things

Started by skullywag, October 07, 2014, 09:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Hey all,

This mod is supposed to be a supplement to mining and traders, it is not a replacement for them.

So a quick disclaimer:

Im releasing this now as im going to need feedback on this, I want to balance it as best I can, this is not the final release.

So onto the mod:

This mod adds 5 new plants:

IronWeed
GoldRoot
SilverLeaf
MeadowSweet
RubberFig

All can be planted in hydroponics or the ground. All have to be "pressed" in a new worktable (the Press). 4 of each will give you their material solution, which can then be used in another worktable (the Centrifuge) to extract the material out.

IronWeed, GoldRoot and SilverLeaf all get you the relevant raw material when centrifuged.

MeadowSweet is a natural plant high in chemicals used in the creation of Aspirin, this plants material solution gets you Aspirin, 3 of these plus 20 cloth can be used to create 1 Medicine at the last new worktable, the Chemistry Bench.

The Rubber Fig allows you to get a rubber solution via the Press, centrifuging this gets you resin, combining 2 resin with 2 fabric and 2 metal at the chemistry bench will net you 1 plasteel.

Their are 3 researches available 1 for each of the worktables.

The Press requires a cook, the Centrifuge and Chemistry Bench require doctors.

Please give me feedback on the amounts of ingredients in the recipes and anything else you think needs tweaking (some of the sounds and effects could be changed out for others).

Also if any artists are reading PLEASE feel free to go nuts and help me, I hate doing art as you can tell by the ripoffs of Tynans ive used lol!

DOWNLOAD FROM MY GITHUB:

https://github.com/Skullywag/Rimworld-Mods (download zip and grab the mod you need)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Girlinhat

What are the growing times for these?  If it's too short, then it's OP, but the vanilla mushrooms take like 45 days for producing cloth that's only a bit better than normal.  So are these crops that produce vastly important resources also balanced by time?

skullywag

currently same as potato but you need 4 to get 1 solution to get 1 material. So in the time it takes you to harvest 1000 potatoes, you can harvest enough for 250 metal, plus all the time taken to process it and time this takes away from other jobs as a colonist has to do it.

Its all easily changeable but i need mass feedback.

Girlinhat

I would think at least strawberry time.  Probably NOT mushroom time - I can rarely grow mushrooms to harvest because of power outages or solar flares.  Gold should probably takes exceptionally more time, as well.

How many are grown per stack?  If it takes 4 to make 1, but they grow in batches of 4, then that's already there...

skullywag

MisterLock

I understand this pretty much replaces the Ironweed mod?

Would you consider doing a cheaty version?Like when you harvest the plants,they just drop their respective resource,just like in teh Ironweed mod?
To each his own.

skullywag

Thanks to Shinzy the release will have some new plant art in it.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Clibanarius

This rules so hard, skully, thanks! It also replaces the need to have a medicine-specific mod like Apothecarius, which is beneficial for me, as I'm trying to knock down the number of mods I'm using, consolidating as many functions into as small a number of mods as I can. Thanks!

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Clibanarius on October 07, 2014, 04:02:21 PM
This rules so hard, skully, thanks! It also replaces the need to have a medicine-specific mod like Apothecarius, which is beneficial for me, as I'm trying to knock down the number of mods I'm using, consolidating as many functions into as small a number of mods as I can. Thanks!

That hurt :'(

j/k

What is that smell?? Do you smell Magical Crops? I like your mod and there are definately people who enjoy this style of play.

Clibanarius

Haha, sorry. I actually ended up doing the inverse after I thought about it: I don't actually want or need the harvestable resources, while I do want a complex way to get medicine crafted. That said, I still love both and will use each at various times.

skullywag

Quote from: JuliaEllie on October 07, 2014, 04:27:51 PM
Quote from: Clibanarius on October 07, 2014, 04:02:21 PM

That hurt :'(

j/k

What is that smell?? Do you smell Magical Crops? I like your mod and there are definately people who enjoy this style of play.

Magical Crops is a mod ive actually used a lot and have had some suggestion to the mod author implemented Mark719 is a top bloke, if I can make this even half as good as his mod for MC id be a happy man.

enslavedeagle

I really like the idea behind this mod, but I can't open the file. 7-zip gives me an error saying that the file cannot be opened as an archive. I tried 7-zip and Windows explorer.

Dragoon_103

i think the files need to be reuploaded or put on an external hosting site like media fire because the servers for the forums have been moved recently

skullywag

on it but it keeps timing out, waiting for the forums to sort themselves out.

edit - oh it worked this time.

skullywag

Updated the textures of the 2 new plants to better match at least the quality of Shinzys ones (not really but they are better then before ;)). Uploaded to my github now as well.