Tynan, will you help other solo devs?

Started by Topper, June 19, 2015, 03:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topper

In addition to Rimworld I also play a game called Stardrive 2. It shares the distinction of having a 1 man dev team with rimworld. Alas Stardrive's dev doesnt seem to be as organized and stable as Tynan. He is having a really hard time of late, especially with a celebrated reviewwe giving the game a bad review. I was wondering if Tynan could share some of his organizational skills with Zero over at Stardrive2. The game has a lot of flavor and potential but needs management, direction. Thanks!

Coenmcj

I believe that Daniel and Tynan communicate from time to time on Twitter and other places, I know that they're following each other for the least part. :)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

nmid

I've been thinking about trying out stardrive2 for a while now.... sad to hear this development.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Well, I don't mean to rip on a persons work but StarDrive [2] seemed to me like a game which shot under the bar.  That is, better games came out long before with one man dev teams.  Specifically, the Space Empires franchise comes to mind and is my "benchmark" for space 4X games.  So far, nothing has come even close to it's level.  StarDrive 2 is slmost on par with Space Empires V and I would rate them as equals except SD:2 doesn't offer anything which SE:V doesn't and it's a decade too late.  SE:V came out in 2006, it's now 2015 with SD:2 adding nothing new to the genre, in fact (imo) SD:2 offers less than SE:V in many respects.

I don't write reviews but I wouldn't rate StarDrive very high at all.  Just because you say your game is great, it doesn't make it true.  Fancy graphics do not make a game and even then SD:2's graphics aren't any better than SE:V.  Everything I've seen in SD:2 has already been done in other games.

Earlier titles (not all are one-man dev) which are better imo:
Space Empires franchise (PC, latest title released 9 years ago)
Escape Velocity franchise (Mac, Nova Mac/PC released 13 years ago)
StarCon (AKA Star Control) franchise (First released 25 years ago)
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.