What are you playing while you wait for this game!

Started by Jakadasnake, September 24, 2013, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xTAMERx

Quote from: Yarkista on September 25, 2013, 05:12:08 PM
Ugh. I would love to get into dwarf fortress but it's just so difficult to jump into, are there any games like df but are easy to jump into?

no DF is unique, i never saw a more complex game than DF, and believe me, i*m looking the whole time for something similiar (so i found also Rimworld)  8)

more complex are some mods for DF, like masterwork mod or deons mods

Semmy

Quote from: xTAMERx on October 05, 2013, 05:48:08 AM
Ugh. I would love to get into dwarf fortress but it's just so difficult to jump into, are there any games like df but are easy to jump into?

no DF is unique, i never saw a more complex game than DF, and believe me, i*m looking the whole time for something similiar (so i found also Rimworld)  8)

actually masterwork makes it less complex.
Since you can turn alot of.
You should watch some youtube tutorials and you can easily get into df im not the brightest light on the earth and even i managed to flood my fortress a dozen times
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

xTAMERx

Quote from: Semmy on October 05, 2013, 06:45:10 AM

You should watch some youtube tutorials and you can easily get into df im not the brightest light on the earth and even i managed to flood my fortress a dozen times

i mean, if you want it more complex you shouldnt turn anything off  :)
with alot of youtube tutorial and the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/ , you can learn very fast the gameplay.
but be careful, once you get in, you*ll never be able to play/enjoy other games like before, coz you will allways miss the complexibility of DF  :D

Semmy

Quote from: xTAMERx on October 05, 2013, 06:54:52 AM
Quote from: Semmy on October 05, 2013, 06:45:10 AM

i mean, if you want it more complex you shouldnt turn anything off  :)
with alot of youtube tutorial and the http://dwarffortresswiki.org/ , you can learn very fast the gameplay.
but be careful, once you get in, you*ll never be able to play other games like before, coz you will allways miss the complexibility of DF  :D

even the gfx are complex d-:
i played it for 2 years without a mod. Than i saw the spritepacks and the game became a whole lot easier

There are many games but there is none like dwarf fortress. No other game will ever get close.
Games like Towns, Gnomoria, Dwarfs and many more have tried.
If you'r there for the production lines go try factorio. If you want a more futuristic df go play maiagame (also alpha)

Even dark souls was easy compared to df
Edmund Burke

DNK

DF is pretty easy once you realize that you can very easily seal off your fortress with a couple levers and bridges. After that, it's only as complicated as you make it. It also helps a lot to go into the config file and turn down max_pop to something like 20. The game becomes a real nightmare past that for a newbie. Then, just make sure you picked a good location for your fort, something with iron and a flux stone at least (coal also very important). Basic ironworking industry is highly important.

There's this thing called "lazy newb pack". Get it. It includes "Dwarf Therapist", which is such a necessity for making the game playable. It gets around a lot of the real PITA aspects of the prehistoric UI for managing your dwarves.

Semmy

Quote from: DNK on October 05, 2013, 11:33:48 AM
DF is pretty easy once you realize that you can very easily seal off your fortress with a couple levers and bridges. After that, it's only as complicated as you make it. It also helps a lot to go into the config file and turn down max_pop to something like 20. The game becomes a real nightmare past that for a newbie. Then, just make sure you picked a good location for your fort, something with iron and a flux stone at least (coal also very important). Basic ironworking industry is highly important.

There's this thing called "lazy newb pack". Get it. It includes "Dwarf Therapist", which is such a necessity for making the game playable. It gets around a lot of the real PITA aspects of the prehistoric UI for managing your dwarves.

you need more people else you cant do everything.
Edmund Burke

Pheanox

My main hard drive failed, so only limited to my SSD right now.  So playing Skyrim, Terraria, and Prison Architect mostly until I get more hard drive space.

Haplo

I found this nice little game named Pirates! on my steam accound and have been playing it for the last two days..
Attack ship with cannons, enter ship and fight with the enemy captain. Plunder and capture cities. Rinse and repeat..
Oh the good old days, where the games were so simple  ;D

Spike

Reloaded Dead Space 1 for another run through.  Man, they did such an amazing job with this one - quite immersive atmosphere.  If you see it on sale for cheap, I would highly recommend it.

As for Dwarf Fortress, the best description of starting out that I read went like this - you will play for 5 minutes, want to do something, and spend the next 30 minutes reading the wiki/forums to figure out how to do it.  Then you'll play for another 5 min, and have to spend another 30 minutes figuring out how it works.  It has a really steep learning curve, but once you get things down a bit, it is quite fun.  Also, tilesets help a lot, instead of using ASCII.

enystrom8734

Quote from: Spike on October 07, 2013, 03:35:28 PM
Reloaded Dead Space 1 for another run through.  Man, they did such an amazing job with this one - quite immersive atmosphere.  If you see it on sale for cheap, I would highly recommend it.

As for Dwarf Fortress, the best description of starting out that I read went like this - you will play for 5 minutes, want to do something, and spend the next 30 minutes reading the wiki/forums to figure out how to do it.  Then you'll play for another 5 min, and have to spend another 30 minutes figuring out how it works.  It has a really steep learning curve, but once you get things down a bit, it is quite fun.  Also, tilesets help a lot, instead of using ASCII.

Man, you need to be hardcore and do the ASCII. Its much more fun! Trying to see a kobold or goblin is much better :D
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Yarkista

Quote from: Haplo on October 06, 2013, 06:24:29 AM
I found this nice little game named Pirates! on my steam accound and have been playing it for the last two days..
Attack ship with cannons, enter ship and fight with the enemy captain. Plunder and capture cities. Rinse and repeat..
Oh the good old days, where the games were so simple  ;D

I have that on the PSP, never knew it was on the pc, I might just buy it.

I've also been playing an indie game called The Red Solstice, it's a top downish shooter that's in alpha, quite fun if I do say so myself.

daft73

I have a few games I'm cooking on the stove..whilst I wait:
    Europa Universalis IV  http://www.europauniversalis4.com/
    Rogue Legacy  http://roguelegacy.com/
    Terraria  http://www.terraria.org/
    Fallen Enchantress:Legendary Heroes  http://elementalgame.com/legendary-heroes

Semmy

steam marines

dunno why but roguelikes got something
Edmund Burke

GC13

I finished Legend of Grimrock yesterday, and am working on Hard Reset (finally, a game that works my graphics card a little). And of course, I'm still doing my Prison Architect and RimWorld videos.

I'm kind of torn on what to play after I finish Hard Reset. Should I install Battlefield 3?

LobsterSundew

FTL: Faster Than Light continues to be my most played game this year.

Eventually I need to finish Clark and Fez.
A backer of over 600 crowdfunding campaigns.