Cannot wait until this game is on steam.

Started by Straykiller, October 09, 2014, 06:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straykiller

aside from updates being applied automatically, what I'm really hopeful for is that steam workshop be implemented so installing mods is a 1 click process. There are so many people making great mods and new ones continue to pop up. Having the workshop would allow for easy implementation of  mods. What do you all think? i know some of you hate steam but you can't deny its connivence. Are there any plans for this game to be released on steam?

TheXIIILightning

Mods are already quite easy to implement. All it takes is a simply Unzip followed by pasting the stuff into the Mod folder. ^^
The game will probably take A LONG TIME to get into Steam, so seeing as you'll get a free Steam key once it does, you can simply buy it now without a problem.
The game is already much better than most Alphas available on Steam at this time.

Straykiller

Ive had the game for a very long time, I'm just looking forward to the day its on steam. For someone who has very little time to play games, loading the forum searching through all the threads to download the zip files, opening the zip files and placing them in the mod folder, then doing it all over once the mod has been updated takes a considerable about of time. Steam just makes that part quick and easy.

TheXIIILightning

Now that is true. Just these past couple of days I had to update a Mod 3x...
Not that I'm complaining about the mods being updated, on the contrary, that's great! I guess it just relies for how long you're (people who haven't bought the game yet) willing to wait in order to get the full experience and a far easier time using Mods.

PS: The Changelog says that Tynan is developing an Auto-Updater for the game. Perhaps the same could be applied to mods by having the game linked to a particular tool in either to forums or some other source. (Like Nexus or something)

Tynan

It might be possible for me to allow simply placing the mod zip file in the mods directory. Would that help? You could then just download mods directly into the game /Mods dir.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TheXIIILightning

Quote from: Tynan on October 09, 2014, 09:48:27 PM
It might be possible for me to allow simply placing the mod zip file in the mods directory. Would that help? You could then just download mods directly into the game /Mods dir.

Maybe, maybe not. That could potentially become an issue for certain modders, but I do admit that it would be helpful in terms of file size. Though, could that potentially mess with the mods seeing as the game as to access the contents of the .zip folder?

Right now I simply download all the zip files into a specific folder, then extract them and paste the folder into the /Mods one.
I think the current method is rather good, because if someone wants to edit the file, they don't have to unzip and zip the folder to see if the game still recognizes the changes.

Drahkon

That's not really an issue, there's no reason it cannot be set to recognize the mod in either format. Leave it zipped to use it, or unzip it to modify/debug/develop.

Jaxxa

What I would like to see is the ability to reorder mods in the list.

keylocke

Quote from: Tynan on October 09, 2014, 09:48:27 PM

yea. just a quick way to check new mods after launching the game would be nice.
there should be a new mods tab, a popular mods tab, mods divided up by category, author, etc..

this should give a good incentive for going legit (for those who are still sitting on the fence), if you need a legit account to access the mods database, but without hassling legit owners by adding drms or whatever.

i'm sure you could come up with something cool and awesome..  8)

skullywag

I see no reason to not have the keep it zipped option. Would be a nice tweak. One less thing to do.

Also what's on the roadmap in regards to profiles so we can have multiple mod sets without multiple game installs, just querying, I know this could be a long way off.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

keylocke

Quote from: skullywag on October 10, 2014, 04:50:43 AM
I see no reason to not have the keep it zipped option. Would be a nice tweak. One less thing to do.

Also what's on the roadmap in regards to profiles so we can have multiple mod sets without multiple game installs, just querying, I know this could be a long way off.

ooh yea. i would also like that.

so i can have a profile of mods catered to a zombie apocalypse, or a caveman challenge, or improved vanilla, or whatever.

we can just save the right mod combinations for each profile.

----

it would also be nice if it checks which mods are updated or not and have a button to update it, without having to search for the forums to find and download new updates for each and every mod installed.

edit :

it would also be nice if it has a feature that checks which mods have a known conflict with each other. so that it can give out a warning or something.

skullywag

That would need a system and a standard in place on how to store the mod on the internet.

keylocke

Quote from: skullywag on October 10, 2014, 05:00:57 AM
That would need a system and a standard in place on how to store the mod on the internet.

yea, i guess..

maybe that's why i'm a bit in favor of steam workshops.. lol.
but i suppose it's mostly up to tynan.

right now, i rarely install mods for rimworld 'coz it's a bit of a hassle to do it for every new alpha.
so i wanted a system that makes it so much easier to install, keep track, and update mods with just a few quick buttons. (if online)

the option to install mods the old way should still be there. (if people still wants it)
but everything needed to be done manually is a bit of a drag..

Jaxxa

Quote from: keylocke on October 10, 2014, 05:08:48 AM
right now, i rarely install mods for rimworld 'coz it's a bit of a hassle to do it for every new alpha.

You think that's a hassle, try updating a mod for every new alpha.

It would be nice to have an automated update system, but I don't thing we will see it for a while, and do we really want Tynan spending his time on that now rather than developing the core game.

skullywag

Really? I've probably updated and added mods to my modded instance about 8 times this alpha already..it takes seconds. Are people really THAT averse to deleting a folder and replacing it with a newly updated mod.