Cannot wait until this game is on steam.

Started by Straykiller, October 09, 2014, 06:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

seconds?

i usually have to track down the new thread for a mod that i installed in a previous alpha.

so if i installed an alpha 6 mod, i now would have to track down the new thread for the alpha 7 version for that mod, and i would have to do this for EVERY mod that i want to get updated. (consider updating more than a dozen mod, that constantly gets updated with a new "fix")

whereas a full-fledged updating system would check and tell me :
* which mods have new updates
* which mod updates have a conflict with each other
* which similar features are in different mods
* etc..

if it makes things more efficient, then why not?
* a centralized place where people can upload their mods.
* this database could have a feature to be able to compare different mods to check potential conflicts and flag them. (or just a feature where people can flag mods with known conflicts)
* etc..

i agree, that developing it shouldn't be a priority, but i hope that it gets there someday in tynan's to-do list..

skullywag

Oh it wouldn't be difficult to do up to the part about conflicts (thats a little more indepth) but a simple check of the about.xml for a version number would allow an update check (a simple one) but wed need everyone to update to the same place or at least upload somewhere where a file can be parsed for the version number.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Omenpapa

There is this thing, called Nexus on the internet I hear :) I think instead of having a dedicated forum for each and every mod here, the dev should just simply point ppl towards nexus.

In case u dont know what im talking about. Nexus is the prime place for a lot of games' mods, including Skyrim, which game has the biggest mod community as far as I know. The site provides freely to use a mod manager called NMM, which does feature version checks, updates, conflicts, categories etc.

U can freely upload and manage any mods there w/o problems. The only thing which can be bothersome is that u have a limited download speed, unless u pay the monthly fee for the site. U can download with 1mb/sec w/o it tho, so its not totally useless.

There r a couple mods there too currently for rimword, heres the link: http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/?

U can click on the files at the top side of the screen, which gives u a list based on the voted mods in order.

skullywag

Theres a discussion going on on the forums right now regarding the nexus and how some people plain refuse to use it, so people know of if it but I dont think its gonna get wholly adopted.

vagineer1

Quote from: skullywag on October 10, 2014, 07:17:00 AM
Theres a discussion going on on the forums right now regarding the nexus and how some people plain refuse to use it, so people know of if it but I dont think its gonna get wholly adopted.

The Nexus is by far the best place to get great mods for games. The only problem I've heard of is the moderators on the site are kinda bitchy. If you don't say great things about the mods you will get insta-banned.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

skullywag

Dont get me wrong I have an account there (used to mod fallout) but I DO NOT interact with the community there at all. I think if in the mod section we had the ability to upload slightly larger files we could host them here, but this is dependant on Tynan wanting to host that much data in the future.

milon

Quote from: keylocke on October 10, 2014, 05:36:40 AM
whereas a full-fledged updating system would check and tell me :
* which mods have new updates
* which mod updates have a conflict with each other
* which similar features are in different mods
* etc..

if it makes things more efficient, then why not?
* a centralized place where people can upload their mods.
* this database could have a feature to be able to compare different mods to check potential conflicts and flag them. (or just a feature where people can flag mods with known conflicts)
* etc..

In the meantime, this sounds like a simple Wiki page.  A sortable table or two would do the trick, me thinks.