Suggesties for windows

Started by Mullie0, November 06, 2013, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mullie0

Suggestion for Windows

Abstract:

I think windows could be a great addition to the game. Especially if they add happiness and require a view. This would force bases to be more open and gives the enemies more options to attack the base.

Concept:

A window is built like a wall or door. For attack defense purposes it is similar to a sandbag except it might be able to stop the first round (to break the glass).

The colonists should really like to look outside and should feel trapped when they are in a position where they can’t see the outside for too long.

The window should give a larger bonus depending on the “view”. The more cells without anything in it (like walls or rocks) should increase the bonus. When people can see wildlife (for example boomrats, muffalos or cacti) from their windows the bonus should be even larger.

Sandbags should not reduce the view though still a bit. The view requirement should be rather large like 40 or even more squares to get a high bonus.

If implemented this could really force players to think of different base and defense designs and make building the base in the middle of a plains an advantage.

Personally I don’t like mining that much. I have spent a couple of days in a copper mine and I have to say it get really depressing not seeing outside. Also when watching the pre alpha trailer the gameplay seemed to be more focused on being outside instead of living like a dwarf in an underground fortress.

Thans you very much for Reading my idea

ShadowDragon8685

Why is everyone so hell-bent on making people build their bases in a manner which is suicidally easy for the raiders to break into?

This is not a suburban cul-de-sac, nor is it an Appalachian mining town or a big city.

This is an unplanned settlement on the border worlds, under constant attack by armed maniacs whose only goal is to murder you and everyone you like.

Screw having lovely views of the plains, you know what I'd find aesthetically pleasing and not-depressing in such an environment? Machine guns mounted on top of guard towers, sandbags and barbed wire, searchlights cutting through the night, snipers (of my own) up on top of the mountain ready to rain death down on the dumb bastards who always congregate in the lowlands, and maybe a few artillery pieces ranged in to fill the natural and artificial choke-points with hellfire and shrapnel.
Raiders must die!

Mullie0

Dear shadow

Even though I agree with you with that it is nice to blow stuff up and create choke point I think that by forcing the player to be a bit more open the game gets more interesting. Creating a chokepoint and have all the enemies dies there without some challenge is for me not that interesting.

Overpowering the enemy is in my opinion not a very elegant option as that turns the enemy into a endless horde (and why would they attack you if they could life a life you like)

Sundaysmile

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 06, 2013, 12:06:24 PM
Why is everyone so hell-bent on making people build their bases in a manner which is suicidally easy for the raiders to break into?

This is not a suburban cul-de-sac, nor is it an Appalachian mining town or a big city.

This is an unplanned settlement on the border worlds, under constant attack by armed maniacs whose only goal is to murder you and everyone you like.

Screw having lovely views of the plains, you know what I'd find aesthetically pleasing and not-depressing in such an environment? Machine guns mounted on top of guard towers, sandbags and barbed wire, searchlights cutting through the night, snipers (of my own) up on top of the mountain ready to rain death down on the dumb bastards who always congregate in the lowlands, and maybe a few artillery pieces ranged in to fill the natural and artificial choke-points with hellfire and shrapnel.

Then how about this?  Window's create natural light, meaning I could toggle my lamps off without them being a drain on my energy reserves, storing said energy for when I might actually need it.  It's efficient, it keeps the guns functioning and facilities working. 

Besides that option, I have a strong feeling that morale will become an important part of the gameplay anyhow, pleasing your survivors isn't just about keeping them alive (unless they're vat grown test tube babbies), variety of food, their surroundings, and quality of life will also be just as important. 

Afterall the worst enemy is the one from within.  Don't want your highest trained soldier to snap under pressure and leave when you need him most?  Or worse...  Start a killing spree inside your settlement.

ShadowDragon8685

You know what creates a hell of a morale boost?

Being an embattled minority. Seriously, take a small group, have them under frequent harassment/attack from outside, and they're very likely to knuckle down in the name of kicking the shit out of those outsiders.

Which is another reason those corpses and saw death morale penalties are annoying me. I could see it being bad if someone you like gets killed, but after enough attacks to become thoroughly desensitized, you shouldn't give a good goddamn about enemy corpses or seeing the death of the enemy; especially if you put him in the ground!
Raiders must die!

Wopian

Quote from: Sundaysmile on November 06, 2013, 12:42:00 PM

Then how about this?  Window's create natural light, meaning I could toggle my lamps off without them being a drain on my energy reserves, storing said energy for when I might actually need it.  It's efficient, it keeps the guns functioning and facilities working. 

Besides that option, I have a strong feeling that morale will become an important part of the gameplay anyhow, pleasing your survivors isn't just about keeping them alive (unless they're vat grown test tube babbies), variety of food, their surroundings, and quality of life will also be just as important. 

Afterall the worst enemy is the one from within.  Don't want your highest trained soldier to snap under pressure and leave when you need him most?  Or worse...  Start a killing spree inside your settlement.

Oh, that would be nice.

Windows along a corridor that looks out to open space and the lights inside turn themselves off when enough light is coming through. Then they turn back on when the sun sets or it starts raining and other weather. Could possibly be a different type of light that hangs over the floor like these + a toggle to force lights on:

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

starlight

We want to play a City Builder here, and with options like Phoebe Friendl y at least some people want to build it up.
This is not a Zombie Horror Survival Game.

More importantly, all people need to live and over a period of time they get de-sensitised to stuff.
Create windows and (if you are so concerned about firing raiders) lets have the option to board them when an attack comes.
Or auto-board.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: starlight on November 07, 2013, 08:19:53 AMWe want to play a City Builder here, and with options like Phoebe Friendly at least some people want to build it up.

Then why is Cassandra throwing non-stop raids of 16-20 raiders at me? My two biggest challenges are finding the metal to manufacture more equipment racks to toss their craptacular guns on and getting the bodies buried and the sandbags rebuilt before the next bloody wave hits!

QuoteThis is not a Zombie Horror Survival Game.

No, it's worse. Traditional zombies don't have guns, molotov cocktails, or light fires.

It's not a Zombie Horror Survival Game. It's a Borderlands Psycho Survival Horror Game.

QuoteMore importantly, all people need to live and over a period of time they get de-sensitised to stuff.
Create windows and (if you are so concerned about firing raiders) lets have the option to board them when an attack comes.
Or auto-board.

Yes, because inviting them to just break down the boarded-up window instead of forcing them to either go through a sturdy wall or crawl over sandbags is such a fantastic idea. The only reason I'd install windows is to lure them over to the blasting charges.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 06, 2013, 03:24:41 PMSeriously, take a small group, have them under frequent harassment/attack from outside, and they're very likely to...

... kill each another over the smallest of things. Also, being restrained to a small space for prolonged measures of time is a serious and dangerous condition. Read up about how they fight with in in submarines, and in this game we don't have professional soldiers that have been trained to survive for years in such conditions.

That being said... even if it was "military super-base building simulator", your argumentation is simply wrong. It's true windows are a serious threat and heavily weight down on success chances - for raiders. Buildings provide a large area of manoeuvrability with zero visibility from the outside - for an attacker that is on open ground - in desert, so REALLY open ground - this is a catastrophe. To get inside, a assault soldiers need to cover hundreds of meters while being perfectly visible and with no suitable cover. At the same time defenders are greatly protected, their moves are invisible to the enemy and they themselves have perfect visibility.

ShadowDragon8685

You know what else there is in a desert surrounding a mountain? A perfect opportunity to get your ass sniped off by a sniper you didn't see concealed on the mountain. But until we get concealment mechanics and Z-levels to give our snipers a height advantage, that doesn't really matter, since the damn raider snipers will always trade fire with your guys.

There's also a lot more raiders than there are colonists, both in an immediate and in an overarching sense. With the raiders having that advantage, and the advantage of all being super-experts at murdering people and not caring if they all get slaughtered just as long as they kill one of mine, is it any wonder that I'd quite frankly rather lure them all into an ambush than trade fire over open terrain?
Raiders must die!

Galileus

And what is just perfect for ambushes? Windows! Seriously, even in medieval times it was a sound strategy. And again, with the ball on side of raiders in numbers, there is absolutely no reason to throw away a solid advantage in terrain. As for snipers, again, better off with windows. He takes out one guy through a window, rest can get to cover right away. Much more sound tactic would be to take them off while they are off in the field, when they can't get to cover easily.

I'm afraid your arguments on strategic value of windows are simply wrong. Take a minute to read about that or even better - go visit some nearby fortifications, and you'll know what I mean.

ShadowDragon8685

Medieval windows had certain advantages, though. For one thing, they tended to be up high, so a jackass with a sword couldn't run up to them and stab you when you were shooting out of them. For another, they were far too narrow for said jackass to jump through. They were also very narrow from the outside, whilst funneling widely inside, permitting the shooter inside to have a maximum field of fire whilst making return fire nearly impossible and making somebody breaking through said window absolutely impossible.

They were also made of stuff that was strong enough that a grenade wouldn't go through it, or set it on fire.
Raiders must die!

Produno

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 06, 2013, 03:24:41 PM
You know what creates a hell of a morale boost?

Being an embattled minority. Seriously, take a small group, have them under frequent harassment/attack from outside, and they're very likely to knuckle down in the name of kicking the shit out of those outsiders.

Which is another reason those corpses and saw death morale penalties are annoying me. I could see it being bad if someone you like gets killed, but after enough attacks to become thoroughly desensitized, you shouldn't give a good goddamn about enemy corpses or seeing the death of the enemy; especially if you put him in the ground!

Lol, youve been watching too many American films ;).

A small group constantly getting harrased and attacked.. How could that possibly boost morale? Your freinds are dieing or dead, your possibly next and theirs what seems to be an endless horde of maniacs trying to get in and kill you. The constant sound of gunshots and explosions. People screaming. Mind games. Sleep depravation. You know what happens when you have sleep deprevation?

As for desensitizing, how come theres thousands of soldiers from wars who need councelling? Infact why even get trained to mental breaking point in the first place? The point your colonists become 'desensitized' is when they go crazy and start killing everyone.

Anyway, back on topic :). It would be nice to have shooting holes in your walls, or say metal sliding windows than can be opened or closed and even locked for that matter.

Galileus

Quote from: Produno on November 07, 2013, 04:48:38 PMAnyway, back on topic :). It would be nice to have shooting holes in your walls, or say metal sliding windows than can be opened or closed and even locked for that matter.

Hahaha, I love how you just rendered the whole "breaking in through windows" problem in one fell swoop after all my rhetorics :D Thumbs up, the more things we can click and watch change slightly the better! :)

Aisomasu

What about barred windows? Loopholes? Bulletproof glass walls/windows?