[MOD] (Alpha 7) Balanced Tools (v0.9)

Started by Noobshock, October 23, 2014, 11:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

This is basically a rework of ItchyFlea's "right tool for the job". The simple goal is to add opportunity costs to Tools so that they're not just a way to make the game easier, but rather items you'll want to craft only for specific colonists to take advantage of nice buffs, but for a price.

With that in mind, there are now two new research items, one to unlock the workbench and basic recipes, the other to unlock the higher tier auto-tools and their significant work speed buffs. Most tools now require at least 1 Nuts & Bolts, a new resource item you'll obtain from industrial and exotic traders as well as dead Mechanoids, and the costs have generally been tuned up.

Shinzy, who provided the textures for the original mod's tools, was kind enough to contribute a new workbench and texture for the nuts and bolts.

There are 2 things left I ideally want to add: the possibility for Nuts & Bolts to drop off of Centipedes (but not always) (done) and to show up in pod crashes. I'm still trying to figure out how to get those two done and any help in that department is welcome.

Feedback is also welcome, not guaranteeing I'll agree with it but I'm definitely open to discussion.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Noobshock on October 23, 2014, 11:45:15 AM
There are 2 things left I ideally want to add: the possibility for Nuts & Bolts to drop off of Centipedes (but not always) and to show up in pod crashes. I'm still trying to figure out how to get those two done and any help in that department is welcome.
Look at this file for how to do the first one: RimWorld Alpha 7c\Mods\Core\Defs\PawnKindDefs\PawnKinds_Mercenary.XML (Specifically this tag: <inventoryOptions>)
AFAIK the potential to show up in drop pods is based on the trading price of the object.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Noobshock

Update! Mechanoids (particularly Centipedes) are now your 2nd best source of Nuts&Bolts, and turns out I had broken the workbench with a reference to Wood added at the last minute instead of the proper "WoodLogs". My apologies and please don't hesitate to let me know about blunders like that so I may fix it ASAP.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Itchy.

Kirkules

Any chance an Alpha 8 version is in the works?

old_sinh