Can someone explain how accuracy works ?

Started by Spare74, October 10, 2014, 12:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spare74

Hello,

As said in the title, how does accuracy work exactly ?
I have some pretty good shooters missing everything on non covered target while some shitty shooters hit enemies behind cover ...
It seems a bit random from time to time.
How does sight affect accuracy ? how does the shooting skill etc

michal3588

Every point of shooting skill decreases chance for miss per square of distance. After that its random:). When you have 70% chance for accurate shoot you can hit with first one, 3rd or even 15th as well if you have bad luck :). Unless you are savage raider. Then you have 100% chance with bow on any distance :D

Rahjital

Accuracy works on the basis of multipliers. Base accuracy is 100%, but there are negative multipliers that bring the chance down. There are always the skill and weapon multipliers, which determine how accurate the colonist and weapon are at a certain distance. There may also be more multipliers depending on the situation, such as bad weather or cover.

Let's say you have a healthy colonist with Shooting skill 10 firing her M-24 at a rider hiding behind some rocks at the distance of 20 tiles, at night. The accuracy calculation is 100% * 67% (colonist skill at 20 tiles) * 86% (weapon accuracy at 20 tiles) * 60% (shooting in darkness) * 40% (cover) = 13.8% accuracy.

PS: You can always see the chance of your colonist hitting a raider by selecting them and hovering your mouse over whoever you want to shoot ;)

Damien Hart

Some people have observed that raiders seem more accurate than colonists in equal situations. There's a thread about it somewhere.

Just yesterday, I sent two m24 armed colonists to engage a siege party with 1 m24. He was standing in the open, my colonists were leaning around mountain walls. We never landed a hit, he blew off both of one colonist's arms, and killed the other instantly with a headshot. All three were healthy, my colonists were skill 11 and 12, he was 9, and there were no traits that affected shooting for anyone.

This wasn't a one off situation either.  :-\

Spare74

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 11, 2014, 02:42:36 AM
Some people have observed that raiders seem more accurate than colonists in equal situations. There's a thread about it somewhere.

Just yesterday, I sent two m24 armed colonists to engage a siege party with 1 m24. He was standing in the open, my colonists were leaning around mountain walls. We never landed a hit, he blew off both of one colonist's arms, and killed the other instantly with a headshot. All three were healthy, my colonists were skill 11 and 12, he was 9, and there were no traits that affected shooting for anyone.

This wasn't a one off situation either.  :-\

That sucks, the raiders outnumbers collonist, no reason to make them super soldier. It just pushes us to use meatbox :s since it get some more strategy out of the fight

ShadowTani

Colonists with bionic eyes are really awesome for snipping, just saying. ;3

Goo Poni

Quote from: ShadowTani on October 11, 2014, 03:04:47 PM
Colonists with bionic eyes are really awesome for snipping, just saying. ;3

Even so, raiders often come in large and completely disposable numbers. If there's 20 of them and 10 of you and everyone's a crap shot, they're still rolling twice the number of attacks than you. They have more chances to hit you and any hit on your colonists will exaggerate that while you have try and drag it back to equal footing.

putsam

I have a colonis w/ 2 bionic eyes and a R4 and he hits anyone in full cover within 15 tiles

ShadowTani

Quote from: Goo Poni on October 12, 2014, 12:47:31 PM
Even so, raiders often come in large and completely disposable numbers. If there's 20 of them and 10 of you and everyone's a crap shot, they're still rolling twice the number of attacks than you. They have more chances to hit you and any hit on your colonists will exaggerate that while you have try and drag it back to equal footing.

Now I personally never use M-24 and such on actual raids, I mostly only use a small team of snipers on sieges and mechanoid ships. I just pointed out that those with bionic eyes are really good at that; they often win any one-on-one sniping duels with the snipers on the siege team for example.