Ungrateful mod-user rant/mod-maker hype

Started by Matthiasagreen, October 10, 2014, 03:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthiasagreen

So as I read through mod releases I frequently see posts from someone who has downloaded the mod and it goes something like this.

OH EM GEE I used your mod and this part totally sucked/was too OP/was too weak...etc and I won't use your mod until you fix it....

Oh yeah? I am so sorry that this incredible mod that you probably can't even begin to understand what it took to buid which took you five seconds to download for free is not up to your satisfaction. Please tell me how you are going to withhold your highly valued opinion until I make it to your specifications.

I don't make mods, but I understand they aren't always easy and are usually time consuming to make. I personally appreciate the time you modders take to make this game better for the rest of us. So on behalf of myself and others who have manners above that of an eight year old, I say thank you! Hopefully the good things we say to you makes it worth it.

For the complainers,  I get that sometimes mods aren't exaclty how we want them, but it seems our options should be some small recommendations that the modders might listen to or make them ourselves.

Oh, and if you complain and have less than ten posts on the forums, (at least one of which has to be positive), I pretty much dismiss whatever you have to say.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Klldarkness

All I see is someone bitching about other people bitching. Welcome to the real world. Everyone is a detractor, everyone complains. It actually makes the world go round.

This thread is basically spam at this point, in my opinion.

Justin C

I see it all as constructive criticism. If people don't like my mod I like to know why.

mrofa

Maybe its a rant about other ppl ranting but thanks for compliments Matthiasagreen :D
All i do is clutter all around.

RawCode

minami26

Its ok, even tynan gets those comments haha.. but thankyou! Its all for tynan and rimworld anyways :)

Noobshock

Problem I have when looking at the mod release forums is most of the mods seem to be very quantity-focused (adding a LOT of items/systems, most of the time without too much thought as to how they will affect your usual game progression/flow, just for the sake of having more parts to play with), rather than quality-focused (adding a small handful of things or systems, but making sure they fit thematically, don't disrupt the flow of the game too much or turn balance upside down, have decent looking art that doesn't clash too hard with the surroundings etc)

Quantity focused mods are usually disappointing overall because they feel like a big bag of random stuff, often a bit on the silly side. Quality mods are what sticks and end up being used by most people.

Of course you could be the kinda guy that just wants a thousand extra parts to play with without regard for how they affect the metagame, fit in the universe, whether they look alright etc, but imo that's a rather immature approach.

Now don't get me wrong, more GOOD content is always good, but that usually takes a lot more time and iteration and is typically released in bits and pieces.

Minus

Funny, I've seen the complete OPPOSITE on this forum. I see people that don't understand a mod, or they compare it to another mod, or simply point out that there's a flaw. And then other users leap at them as if they'd just posted they'd killed a puppy.

It's people like Matthias who think they have the right to talk on the behalf of us modmakers and insult people that post negatively that make this entire forum feel less pleasant. I welcome negative posts, what I don't welcome are attacks against other users. Thankfully Tynan is a good mod and has been dealing with these people.

I don't want other people to get the same bad first impression of this site that I got. Of course I realise now that people here are actually mostly decent.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

skullywag

Yeah were mostly decent, apart from that Shinzy fellow...id stay away, hes slightly wierd...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

TheSilencedScream

Bitching about bitching.

But, on topic, I do think there's a difference between "this should be considered because of -insert reasons-" and "this needs changed and I won't use the mod until you do."

One is constructive criticism, the other is an ungrateful twerp.
I know absolutely nothing about modding, I'll be honest, and it makes me all the more appreciative of the people that do - you make an already great game into something even better. If I see something out of place, I'll explain why I think that way, but I understand that my opinion is just one of many and that many - if not most - might disagree with me.

But to be like "I'm not using it until you fix it," is just childish.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Shinzy

Quote from: skullywag on October 18, 2014, 09:57:06 AM
Yeah were mostly decent, apart from that Shinzy fellow...id stay away, hes slightly wierd...
I'm rubber, you're glue! Your face is weird, and ..sticks to you..? and it needs to be fixed or I won't look at it until it has, okay?
"Skreeech!" *throws pebble at Skullywag and vanishes into the distance with leathery wings flapping in the stormy skies* *Ka-tchooww! - thunder strikes, setting all the cables on fire*

I can't even remember seeing anyone being way too ungrateful and whining about something without any valid reason to, on any mod-thread that I've read

skullywag

Quote from: Shinzy on October 18, 2014, 05:38:55 PM
I'm rubber, you're glue! Your face is weird, and ..sticks to you..? and it needs to be fixed or I won't look at it until it has, okay?
"Skreeech!" *throws pebble at Skullywag and vanishes into the distance with leathery wings flapping in the stormy skies* *Ka-tchooww! - thunder strikes, setting all the cables on fire*

I can't even remember seeing anyone being way too ungrateful and whining about something without any valid reason to, on any mod-thread that I've read

How appropriate you fight like a cow!

(cant help it if anyone says I am rubber...monkey island reference for those that dont know) :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Shinzy

Quote from: skullywag on October 18, 2014, 07:31:26 PM
Quote from: Shinzy on October 18, 2014, 05:38:55 PM

How appropriate you fight like a cow!

(cant help it if anyone says I am rubber...monkey island reference for those that dont know) :)
And you fight like a dairyfarmer! no wait, darnit

'I'm rubber you're glue' is the ultimate most ineffective insult in the game. It's why I insist on using it =P

mrofa

QuoteI can't even remember seeing anyone being way too ungrateful and whining about something without any valid reason to, on any mod-thread that I've read

Yehh people here dont act like humans ... which means this is a alien rimworld forum!
So..
Drop your phazers and gimme all your plasma orbs :D
All i do is clutter all around.

minami26

Im actually a tribal cat shaman,, make more itams!!! Without thinking of how it affects the game!!! Ugaaa ugaaaaa!!