Animal Husbandry

Started by StatikMilk30, October 10, 2014, 05:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StatikMilk30

You should have the ability to make a herding zone just like a growing zone. You could herd animals found on the map and put them in said zone and breed them so you can have a stable source of meat. Then you would have to surround it with a fence of some sort. It could also have some negative affects, like if their is a psychic blast that makes the animals go crazy say rinos. If you are breeding rinos for meat then they will bust out of the pens or fences and will try to kill your colonist. Then you have to make stronger fences for stronger animals.

Avis

I know this has been suggested before, look around for older threads. I think there is even a mod that does this.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

EarthyTurtle

Indeed I actually made a post about this myself as a perk for making outside colonies. It's somewhere in the "How to bring the colonies out into the open again?" thread.

But I couldn't agree more animal husbandry would be awesome. Specifically I suggested that animals should only be kept outside, taking them inside would give them bad debuffs and eventually lead to their death. or even having paddocks only build able outside in open air.

ciditi

I like the idea of debuff for indoors hearding.  Maybe even make animals have psychotic breaks if kept underground too long.  But, I'd say let people build animal structure anywhere, but make the ventilation issues with being underground lead to poor air quality and eventually asphyxiate everyone. >:)

Igabod

keylocke

that mod is good, but it would be great to see animal farm "zones" similar to what they do in gnomoria as well..

basically each animal zone can have a max amount of animals that can be bred there per animal type. there's also an option to define max amount of male/females of that animal type per zone, and anything that exceeds the defined limits gets auto-butchered.

although this feature might turn hunting obsolete..

EarthyTurtle

Early game your not gonna have the means necessary to setup paddocks any way, so hunting would be your early game tool.