Scope of the game

Started by CheekiestBreekiest, October 10, 2014, 11:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheekiestBreekiest

I'm loving Rimworld atm however I'm a touch confused on some things. I've read a bit of the lore and poked into these forums a lot. This has lead to numerous people saying the overall scope isn't something like DF where you'd be micromanaging 50+ individuals. Rather, the goal is to build and escape ASAP with ~10 colonists. Is this true? What's the general opinion of this?

I feel like the design of Rimworld just doesn't support that kind of gameplay. It feels to me to be a lot more like DF with no real "end", developing a great attachment to your little village/city. I would love to take the colony from a crash camp to sprawling city. While we are currently limited to 10 or so colonists by the Storyteller and couldn't do so, I feel like the game should be able to support large cities. Will this ever happen, or at the least will we have mod support for something like this?

Damien Hart

There are mods for high population, but the engine starts to stuggle with higher populations.

RimWorld was originally geared toward having your small colony of a dozen or so people, and developing attachments to them and their story, but the current balance of the medical system leaves them feeling (at least for me) pretty much disposable.

The ship is optional, but it's the only endgame goal so far. You can probably expect core gameplay to be fleshed out before endgame stuff though, because that's where Tynan has been mostly focused so far.

milon

Thus far, Tynan has stated he's been trying to get the combat elements solid.  He's also said that they're pretty good now, and he'll focus more on the other game elements.  Unfortunately, I really can't remember where I read that...

Shinzy

At the point when the relationship stuff is a thing
you might not even want to have colony of 50+ people

..unless you can make them into two rival gangs and play out RimRomeo and Juliet
While battling mechanoids, raiders and natives and diseases

I think the focus still is on the small colony where you know everyone by name
and see how much they can go through
(I haven't touched the spaceship after the one playthrough after the thing was put in game)
I just like to see how things play out