Could I sync saves across multiple computers with Dropbox?

Started by tarickstonefire, October 11, 2014, 06:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarickstonefire

Hi! Have searched for 'sync save' and 'dropbox' and 'save location' but to no avail so...

Is it possible to use Dropbox and symbolic links to sync the save files to multiple computers so I can keep playing the same map wherever I am? I've done this with several apps and games, but the first problem is finding where the save files are! On my Mac the 'show save location' button does nothing, and I don't see them in user/Library/Application Support or in user/Documents, the usual places for them...

Cheers!

Timber

That could work but will require you to pay attention to syncing the files properly.

If you are having trouble finding the save files for Rimworld there is a .txt file in your game installation folder titled Readme_SaveFiles.txt . Here's a quote from it if you are lazy:

QuoteSave games and config files are in these folders, depending on your operating system.
WINDOWS:   C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld
(On Windows, the AppData folder may be hidden.)
MAC:       Users/[username]/library/cache/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld
LINUX:       /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld

I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

tarickstonefire

Not lazy, just blind! Thanks!

Yeah I know you gotta be careful DB syncing like that - close one down before opening the other and all that. Should work though... Hopefully!

milon

You could also sync the auto-saves, which _might_ help out.