new trading system

Started by windruf, October 12, 2014, 03:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windruf

to be blunt: it sucks.
it is the same old trading system only now everything is small and altogether. and because silver is too on list, it will disappear when you scroll down and you have to scroll back to see if you haven't gone over your credit. or trader's. and the worst thing there was on old trading system is there: the damn selling tons of stuff is still long patient winding.

now suggestion:
put silver on frame, so you can always see it
add filters: so you can choose, what you are looking for instead of scrolling complete list
add a way to enter number of items we want to sell or buy: for example: click on number will open small dialogue where you can enter a number and press "sell" of "buy"
or "buy max" or "sell max" based on number items trader has and your silver or vice versa.

stefanstr

The only thing I miss is a sell/buy all option. Waiting for 10 seconds to sell those 20000 pieces of cloth isn't fun.

I like your idea of filters.

Pop up windows? No thanks.

Teovald

I don't think the interface is THAT bad. 
Silver should probably work as a sticky header (showed as the first item and stick the to top when you scroll down) as well as already selected items. 
What really bothers me with how Trading works is that it encourages you to build a big central open-air stockpile. 
What I would love to see : 
you can trade any item in one of your stockpiles. 
When the deal is accepted, you have a limited time (let's say a couple of days, it should not be too constraining) to move all the traded goods to the trade beacon (automatic task for haulers).
When everything is here, the goods beam up and what you asked for is beamed down. 

Alternatively, The trading ship could land (or land a barge). That would look very cool but would mean a lot of extra assets.

keylocke

Quote from: Teovald on October 12, 2014, 05:34:51 AM
Alternatively, The trading ship could land (or land a barge). That would look very cool but would mean a lot of extra assets.

that would be awesome though, along with trader caravans from nearby colonies.
'coz the "beam me up scotty" trading system is kinda iffy. it mostly feels like a placeholder feature.

edit :

although if any ship can land, i guess the colonists can just hitch a ride away from this rock?
but then again if items and slaves can be sold via beam-me-up, then colonists can really just hitch a ride anytime they want.

i still don't get why people don't just hitch a ride from traders.

Damien Hart

Quote from: keylocke on October 12, 2014, 06:15:56 AM
Quote from: Teovald on October 12, 2014, 05:34:51 AM

that would be awesome though, along with trader caravans from nearby colonies.
'coz the "beam me up scotty" trading system is kinda iffy. it mostly feels like a placeholder feature.

edit :

although if any ship can land, i guess the colonists can just hitch a ride away from this rock?
but then again if items and slaves can be sold via beam-me-up, then colonists can really just hitch a ride anytime they want.

i still don't get why people don't just hitch a ride from traders.

You'd be taking a lot on faith accepting random strangers from a planet that's covered with pirates on board your ship (slaves would be alright, because they'd be restrained and kept imprisoned). On the other hand, as a colonist, you'd be taking a lot on faith that the trader isn't going to detain you and sell you off to some slavers.

If I were trapped on a planet where pretty much everything wanted to kill me, I don't think I'd be willing trust a random ship passing by, would you?

The interface isn't nearly as bad as you make out windruf. I do agree, the silver being always displayed and the option to type quantities would be awesome, but I much prefer the list display over the tabs.

windruf

"Pop up windows? No thanks."

maybe not a pop up but after a click on number it becomes an textfield right to it "sell" and "sell max" buttons and left to it "buy" and "buy max"

Damien Hart

Quote from: windruf on October 12, 2014, 09:51:52 AM
"Pop up windows? No thanks."

maybe not a pop up but after a click on number it becomes an textfield right to it "sell" and "sell max" buttons and left to it "buy" and "buy max"

You'd probably need two fields, on in a "buy" column, one in a "sell" column. That or separate pages/tabs for buying and selling, but I think people seem to prefer the one page interface.

Oh and keylocke, the "beam me up Scotty" system actually is a placeholder. Which is probably why it feels like one.  :P

keylocke

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 12, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
If I were trapped on a planet where pretty much everything wanted to kill me, I don't think I'd be willing trust a random ship passing by, would you?

if the choice was between risking your lives on a random trader ship or a doomstack of mechs banging at your front door. i'd rather have the choice to hitchhike a ride out of there, don't you?

i just think that building ships for "escape" as the end goal is kinda shabby if there's so many traders just casually passing by.. sure i believe that choice should remain an option, but i don't believe it should be the only end game goal for players.

meanwhile, a downed colony ship is bound to have rescue ships looking for any survivors, especially in a high traffic area where traders just come and go every week or so..

besides, risk are everywhere anyways, i'm just wondering why the "option" to hitchhike isn't even there since that choice is for the players to risk? trading usually requires trust anyways, and money can usually pay for passage for a few stranded colonist.

so is there an actual legitimate reason why hitchhiking isn't an option?

Damien Hart

Quote from: keylocke on October 12, 2014, 04:50:13 PM
Quote from: Damien Hart on October 12, 2014, 09:18:09 AM

if the choice was between risking your lives on a random trader ship or a doomstack of mechs banging at your front door. i'd rather have the choice to hitchhike a ride out of there, don't you?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but if someone in that place were actually willing to trust me enough to bring me on board their ship, I'd be expecting them to secretly be slavers. It's what I'd be doing...

I'm pretty sure he's said he actually wants to move away from the orbital traders to more land based stuff, so it may be that he didn't add that method of escape because of that.

keylocke

i was thinking if building a ship can be considered as a technological "victory". then paying oodles of moneys to gain passage from a trader can be considered as an economic "victory".

there should also be military victory, diplomatic victory, survival victory, expansion victory, population victory, etc.. plenty of options on how players would like to end the "story" of their colony.

-----

anyways. back on topic.

it would also be nice to be able to "pre-order" items that you want from passing traders. so if you need a specific item, just pre-order it with a minor fee, then when that trader returns you can buy that item from them.

Damien Hart

Quote from: keylocke on October 13, 2014, 08:26:07 AM
plenty of options on how players would like to end the "story" of their colony.

Personally, I don't like the idea of a final "victory" anyway. Regardless of whether it says you win or lose, a game over screen is still a game over screen.

Quote from: keylocke on October 13, 2014, 08:26:07 AM
it would also be nice to be able to "pre-order" items that you want from passing traders. so if you need a specific item, just pre-order it with a minor fee, then when that trader returns you can buy that item from them.

That would be great. And especially if it were like in DF where giving higher priorities to an item would mean even higher stocks and higher prices.

keylocke

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 13, 2014, 09:18:19 AM
Personally, I don't like the idea of a final "victory" anyway. Regardless of whether it says you win or lose, a game over screen is still a game over screen.

rimworld colonies die off eventually anyways (mostly due to increasing raid difficulties). i just thought giving different options on how a player would want to "end" their game would be a nice touch, rather than waiting for the inevitable..

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 13, 2014, 09:18:19 AM
That would be great. And especially if it were like in DF where giving higher priorities to an item would mean even higher stocks and higher prices.

agreed. pre-orders is a common practice between most traders anyway and it makes things more efficient.

Damien Hart

Quote from: keylocke on October 13, 2014, 01:28:41 PM
rimworld colonies die off eventually anyways (mostly due to increasing raid difficulties). i just thought giving different options on how a player would want to "end" their game would be a nice touch, rather than waiting for the inevitable..

I guess it's just the finality of it, without ever being truly final, especially considering the open-ended nature of RimWorld. Sure, you could manage to score a "Diplomatic Victory" by making friends with everyone, but then who is to say that a week down the track the local pirates won't decide your sprawling colony is ripe for the picking? Or if you managed to reach a certain population for a population victory, the day after the colony could be wiped out by the plague. Even when you're escaping in the ship, it could be intercepted by slavers, or the AI core could turn out to actually not have been converted, and eject all of your sleeping colonists as soon as it enters orbit.

It sort of feels like a lack of closure, like blowing up the Death Star without killing the Emperor - you know it's not over, but in this case, there's no sequel to carry on the story.

One of the more common suggestions just after the ship was added was the ability to take your escaped colonists and crash again somewhere else; I think if endgame goals like this were implemented, they'd fit a lot better.

keylocke

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 13, 2014, 02:41:43 PM
I guess it's just the finality of it, without ever being truly final, especially considering the open-ended nature of RimWorld. Sure, you could manage to score a "Diplomatic Victory" by making friends with everyone, but then who is to say that a week down the track the local pirates won't decide your sprawling colony is ripe for the picking? Or if you managed to reach a certain population for a population victory, the day after the colony could be wiped out by the plague. Even when you're escaping in the ship, it could be intercepted by slavers, or the AI core could turn out to actually not have been converted, and eject all of your sleeping colonists as soon as it enters orbit.

It sort of feels like a lack of closure, like blowing up the Death Star without killing the Emperor - you know it's not over, but in this case, there's no sequel to carry on the story.

One of the more common suggestions just after the ship was added was the ability to take your escaped colonists and crash again somewhere else; I think if endgame goals like this were implemented, they'd fit a lot better.

i'm guessing you're not a fan of most 4X kind of games.  ;D

at first i kinda figured it didn't need much debate, since it seemed appropriately suited for rimworld since all "stories" must end eventually (heck! even the neverending story ended. lol), yet the story goes on ad infinitum sans the player/viewer..

it's mostly a matter of how a player wants to leave the story behind that gives it a personal touch..

Coenmcj

The whole pre-order scheme wouldn't fit too well with the lore, seeing as how it takes many, many years to traverse between stars, and considering it's a rimworld, I have a lot of doubt they'll be able to return to their urb/coreworld origins before your colony is vaporised
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite