new trading system

Started by windruf, October 12, 2014, 03:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

not all trade needs to come from core worlds.

maybe in the future we can trade with nearby colonies or traders from nearby planets (months away. 'coz too many eclipse and stuff).. there might even be space colonies floating in orbit, since it's not explicitly said that none exists. (where do all those drop pods come from? i mean, aside from the wrecked colony ship dropping like ark falls..)

also how does communication work? i know there's no FTL, but instantaneous communication might be achieved via quantum tech (not sure if it goes against the lore though). to cut down on necessary time to travel for trade (inb4 quantum tech too advance : *cough* crypto-sleep pods. *cough*)

anyways, the amount of traders popping up doesn't make it look like the rimworlds have a lack of space traffic. and i'm not sure if traders from core worlds would even bother trading with people whom they can't even reach within their lifetime.

chances are, most traders comes from "somewhere" that is mostly a few weeks/months away from your colony, rather than years away..

Coenmcj

Fair point, It does make sense that perhaps core worlds wouldn't want to trade with someone so far out, although I assumed it would be a core world, Or atleast an Urb world. considering rim worlds are supposed to be low tech and/or uninhabited, making it somewhat unlikely it's a close by world/s that are sending these vessels.

Although judging by the amount of ruins on these rimworlds perhaps we're not as far out as we think?..
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

keylocke

honestly, i think the strict no FTL and the no aliens "rule" kinda gimps the rimworld lore a bit, so i dunno..

i'm hoping someone could come up with a brilliant solution to explain the faults and contradictions in the rimworld lore. so i'm guessing the lore is eventually gonna adapt to the gameplay or the gameplay needs to be tweaked to adapt more to the lore.

i'm mostly on the fence on this one..

Damien Hart

The idea behind the space traders was that they are passing by, on trips between two distant worlds, ie that trader is never coming back. The low number of name strings seems to have confused most people though, thinking that the same trader was reappearing.

Tynan has said he wants to tie trade in with factions, and he always said the space traders were placholder. Whether or not they disappear entirely, or become a much rarer, more valuable event is a mystery, but the space traders probably won't be the only traders forever, and that's where the preordering will fit in.

Quote from: keylocke on October 13, 2014, 03:59:15 PM

i'm guessing you're not a fan of most 4X kind of games.  ;D

at first i kinda figured it didn't need much debate, since it seemed appropriately suited for rimworld since all "stories" must end eventually (heck! even the neverending story ended. lol), yet the story goes on ad infinitum sans the player/viewer..

it's mostly a matter of how a player wants to leave the story behind that gives it a personal touch..

I enjoy 4x games like Sins of a Solar Empire, but then there is a certain sense of finality to see your enemies crushed before you, their ashes scattering in the solar winds.  :P
But then again, with a game like Sins, you can maintain a game practically indefinitely without ever actually reaching a conclusion.

You are right, it's definitely about players want to finish. The difficulty is giving both types of players their options, without locking them into any specific one (if you were going for the escape ship > crash > start anew ending, it wouldn't do to be given game over for reaching the right population count).

keylocke

iirc, you can still continue with the game even after a game over/victory screen. just think of "victories" as probable "achievements/checkpoints" if rimworld ever makes it to steam or whatever..

ie: several victory achievements such as : military + wealth + technology + population = total domination victory achievement.. etc..

it just gives more variety to the story. especially now that we can view info such as colony stats..

so like a cool, auto-logbook chronicling the date of when a victory checkpoint is achieved, dates when a colonist joins/dies/leaves.. all of those significant milestone events of the colony, should be seen in a stat page somewhere so people can just post it and share the story of their colony with others..

and so on and so forth..

Damien Hart

Quote from: keylocke on October 14, 2014, 07:20:22 AM
iirc, you can still continue with the game even after a game over/victory screen. just think of "victories" as probable "achievements/checkpoints" if rimworld ever makes it to steam or whatever..

ie: several victory achievements such as : military + wealth + technology + population = total domination victory achievement.. etc..

it just gives more variety to the story. especially now that we can view info such as colony stats..

so like a cool, auto-logbook chronicling the date of when a victory checkpoint is achieved, dates when a colonist joins/dies/leaves.. all of those significant milestone events of the colony, should be seen in a stat page somewhere so people can just post it and share the story of their colony with others..

and so on and so forth..

That works for some possible victories - population size, wealth count, raiders killed count, etc. - but not for something like the ship, where clicking continue most likely means you have an empty colony.

It would definitely make for a good challenge to see how many milestones you can achieve in the life of a colony, but I'd definitely like to see something along the lines of the "crash with your escaped colonists" scenario as well.

keylocke

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 14, 2014, 07:36:47 AM
That works for some possible victories - population size, wealth count, raiders killed count, etc. - but not for something like the ship, where clicking continue most likely means you have an empty colony.

It would definitely make for a good challenge to see how many milestones you can achieve in the life of a colony, but I'd definitely like to see something along the lines of the "crash with your escaped colonists" scenario as well.

yea, good point.

i guess it would be like a season 2 of an ongoing saga.. lol

ciditi

Quote from: Damien Hart on October 14, 2014, 07:36:47 AM

I'd like this as well.  I actually thought was going to happen the first time I launched the ship, instead I got the main menu :(.  I think this would also be a good solution to the problem of dwindling resources mentioned in another thread.  You could launch to a new area on the map, or a new world, fresh with a bunch more materials available mining, rather than resorting to constructing an "underground" mine.  Or make both options available, I dunno..

Milso

Quote from: windruf on October 12, 2014, 03:49:15 AM
add a way to enter number of items we want to sell or buy: for example: click on number will open small dialogue where you can enter a number and press "sell" of "buy"
or "buy max" or "sell max" based on number items trader has and your silver or vice versa.
This oh so much This!!
Selling 25K potatoes on my work laptop takes about 30+ mins

If anything add Ctrl increases is by 100X the current speed