Started by Igabod, October 12, 2014, 05:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: thrakkemarn on October 14, 2014, 07:04:48 PM
GIMP is the best! Much like this mod!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

Quote from: richeygator on October 14, 2014, 07:34:37 PM
Quote from: Igabod on October 13, 2014, 06:35:14 PM
I'm going to focus on making new melee weapons maybe and possibly some medieval armor things.
yes....dear god,so much yes ;D

I already got a handaxe and a pointy stick done. The pointy stick will be just a step above thrown rocks in damage and stuff. Haven't done anything except those two textures so far. I'll work on the def files for them once I get a lot of textures done.

Quote from: ousire on October 14, 2014, 08:01:38 PM
I'm really glad to see something that adds in outdoor lights! It's annoying that even the growing lamps have issues in the rain, so my colonies always end up so gloomy looking at night.

Could we please get a list or table of the different lights and their construction/power cost?

You ask and you shall receive. The original post has been updated to include the necessary information. If you have suggestions on how to better improve the stats for balance then please share. And if I left any info out that you want please let me know.

ousire

Thanks for the table! It's great getting to get some actual stats to compare against each other for the lamps. I love the sound of the outdoor lamps covering so much space. You'd just need one or two to light up your whole outer area!

You appear to be missing a few energy stats for some of the lamps though :p

Igabod

Quote from: ousire on October 17, 2014, 01:34:19 AM
You appear to be missing a few energy stats for some of the lamps though :p

heh, woops. I usually proof-read everything carefully but I guess I failed this time. The OP has been updated. Those are 50 energy use.

Igabod

Yep, another update folks! This version includes an advanced sunlamp which lights up even more area with the "brightly lit" so you can grow even more hydroponics stations. The numbers may need some tweaking and the texture will most likely be replaced with a custom one in the future. For now it just uses the standard sunlamp texture though. Let me know what you think. I am very open to feedback.

Montanio

Great work, really helps with lighting up large patches of area without spending wayyyy too much on energy costs. I'm guessing perhaps there could be further research that can be done (that costs alot of time) that further reduces energy usage? Maybe LED researching? Could perhaps make them a further unlock with even higher costs?

Igabod

Quote from: Montanio on October 24, 2014, 12:29:47 PM
Great work, really helps with lighting up large patches of area without spending wayyyy too much on energy costs. I'm guessing perhaps there could be further research that can be done (that costs alot of time) that further reduces energy usage? Maybe LED researching? Could perhaps make them a further unlock with even higher costs?

I thought of doing that but didn't want to add too many research topics. I'll consider it again though. I don't think I would reduce the energy costs a whole lot more though. At least not for the indoor lights. The outdoor lights do have a bit of wiggle room though so that's likely the only area I'd expand upon with further research. What were you thinking would be an appropriate research time? 2000 is the highest I have encountered so far but that seems a bit extreme considering 600 is the highest on this mod. Thanks for the feedback.

Montanio

My guess is that research time isn't really a persistent cost as it is static. You really only need to invest some time on it. Therefore advanced lightning (more so than the ones in the mod) should just have higher costs as those scale linearly. This should be desirable due to the fact that they use less energy, which is hard resource to increase upon later in the game without mods.

Igabod

Updated for Alpha 8. I'm working on updating the rest of my mods as well and they will be out either today or tomorrow.

Igabod

A new update folks! Now included are wall lamps. It is a wall that emits light rather than a lamp that is placed on the wall. Let me know if there are any issues with it. I haven't done any testing other than to see if it works.

MaxtheINFINITE

If an advanced sunlamp uses 750 wats...
I'm not sure,BUT IT CAN use alot more than an improvised turret

Which scares me,ALOT.
B20A TD05-16g 276hp. Daily driven.

Igabod

Quote from: MaxtheINFINITE on January 02, 2015, 04:38:53 PM
If an advanced sunlamp uses 750 wats...
I'm not sure,BUT IT CAN use alot more than an improvised turret

Which scares me,ALOT.

yes, it does use more than a turret. But it takes a lot of energy to power a standard high pressure sodium growing light in reality too. It puts off a lot of lumens and the problem with creating light from energy is that a lot of energy is lost in the process. With an automated turret all you are powering is a small servo and a mini-computer processor. The bang of the gun gets it's energy from the gunpowder in the ammunition. So it only makes sense for an industrial sized growing lamp to eat up more energy than a crappy turret that was slapped together from random pieces of metal and wires and gears and other odds and ends.

Loki88

Would you consider giving the grow lights some heat throw like they would in real life? This is one of my "core mods" that all my colonies ( minus test colonies) have :) also is it intentional to be able to build the outdoor lights indoors? You'd need some seriously high ceilings to pull that off (that being said I'd need to redo my indoor lighting plan :P )
Last on my questions list, is there a way to stop the lit area from the advanced outdoor lamp cutting off? If I get a chance to get a screen shot later I will post it. It seems to be some kind of render issue when the lamp is built, wherever my screen edge is when the lamp is built is where the visually lit area ends (the game still counts the cut off dark area as "lit" ) it did the same thing in vanilla but the base model outdoor light doesn't do it.

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on January 02, 2015, 08:37:52 PM
Would you consider giving the grow lights some heat throw like they would in real life? This is one of my "core mods" that all my colonies ( minus test colonies) have :)

Well that's already in the works actually, well a new UV Heat Lamp is anyway. It puts off a small amount of heat, enough to keep the plants growing at a bare minimum plus a few extra degrees for a safety buffer. It lights the same exact area as the vanilla sunlamp but it is unlocked in the Advanced Sunlamps research along with the Advanced Sunlamps. I have one issue to fix which throws off an error message but isn't a game crasher or anything, and I have to do the texture for it. I'm currently just using the vanilla sunlamp for it as well as for the advanced sunlamp. The advanced sunlamp is also being modified so that it can be used outdoors without causing fires in the rain. So basically the only things stopping me from releasing this are the lack of a suitable texture and the need to correct whatever mistake is throwing up the error message I saw in my last test.

Quote from: Loki88 on January 02, 2015, 08:37:52 PMalso is it intentional to be able to build the outdoor lights indoors? You'd need some seriously high ceilings to pull that off (that being said I'd need to redo my indoor lighting plan :P )

Originally it was done intentionally, but mostly because I didn't know how to restrict an object from being built under a roof at that time. I do know how to do that now however and I'll consider making that change in the next update but it's not high on the priority list since if it bothers you to build them indoors you can simply not build them indoors.

Quote from: Loki88 on January 02, 2015, 08:37:52 PMLast on my questions list, is there a way to stop the lit area from the advanced outdoor lamp cutting off? If I get a chance to get a screen shot later I will post it. It seems to be some kind of render issue when the lamp is built, wherever my screen edge is when the lamp is built is where the visually lit area ends (the game still counts the cut off dark area as "lit" ) it did the same thing in vanilla but the base model outdoor light doesn't do it.

No need for a screenshot, I'm well aware of this bug. Unfortunately it's not something in my mod causing it, it's a problem with the base game itself. If it irritates you as much as it does me seeing that problem then you can usually solve it by saving and loading your game again or saving quitting restarting the game and then loading that save. I've seen it happen on both of the outdoor lights. Never saw it on the vanilla lamps though but I suspect that is because they don't light up such a large area and the area they do light up is never on the edge of my map when I place them. Anyway, there is nothing I can do to fix it myself unfortunately. Sorry about that.

Loki88

None of that makes me love this mod any less, just picking your brain since I like your mods :P

Igabod

Version 5.0 is released! I've made some changes to the Advanced Sunlamp so that it can be used outdoors and not start fires in the rain. I've also included a new UV Heat Lamp which is pretty much a sunlamp that emits a small amount of warmth to keep your plants at or near optimal growing temperatures. It provides the same amount of brightly lit area as the standard sunlamp but it provides slightly less area of "lit". It currently uses the same texture as the advanced sunlamp does (slightly different color light though) but I'm currently waiting on someone who has offered to do the texture so it will be (hopefully) included in my next update. I also made a few tweaks to numbers here and there and some other small changes that the average user won't even notice.

As per usual, remember to delete the old Advanced Lamps folder from your mods folder before installing this one.