a way to remove bad traits/backgrounds

Started by Svullo, October 15, 2014, 07:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svullo

hi tynan. first i just want to say i love rimworld, it's a really great game. but there is something that's bothering me that i would like to know if you have any plans on fixing. and that's all the traits and backgrounds that cause colonists to not be able to do certain kinds of work, or give them negative effects like slowpoke, which reduces walking speed.

i think these are great, but not if they're permanent. surely if some random people crashed on a planet and one of them was an aristocrat who refused to do manual labour, the other two would quickly grow tired of his precense, since they'd be forced to do the work he won't. in real world, they would eventually either beat it out of him, or tell him he doesn't eat until he starts pulling his weight, or they'd simply kick him out to die in the wilderness.

my point is that i think the game sorely lacks means to "correct" these obviously defective individuals. like if someone refuses to do dumb labour, you should be able to beat the hell out of them until they stop refusing. or starve them. if they don't want to work, they don't get to eat.

or if it's some deep rooted psychological issue like someone who is an extreme pacifist and refuses to use violence, or someone who had a traumatic childhood and can't fight fires, then you should be able to use a different colonist with a high medical skill to give them therapy which has a chance to remove or add traits and work abilities of the player's choosing. like if the player wants to re-enable certain types of work, they can. or if they want to add the jogger trait, they can do that too.

bascially therapy, if used long enough, should be able to re-enable all disabled work types that a character may be suffering from, as well as add or remove traits so that you can give them the traits you want. i really hope you add something like this in the next update, or if you feel it's too much work, could you please at least open up traits and backgrounds to editing via xml files so we can mod it ourselves?

thank you, and keep up the good work.

Spectre

I don't really see it as a psychological issue that prevents them from doing certain types of work, it's just the people themselves.

If I were a Rimworld colonist, I'd be pretty useless. I don't know how to mine, cook lavish meals, shoot etc. At best I'd be stuck in a field sprinkling seeds around and the moment the food runs out I'll be sent 'to the farm' never to be heard from again except as a particularly lean bit of meat.

In regards to Nobles and such not being able to do dumb labor, it's still a personal problem, they simply refuse to haul things because they think it's beneath them.

Now it's up to you as the player to either keep them around snobbing up the place or turn them into an appetizer (Christ, my mind is on cannibalism today. What is wrong with me...) but like i said it's completely up to you, no one is forcing you to keep any colonist, so if you find them useless simply get rid (You could...erm... sell th... eat them. You could eat them.)

Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

TheSilencedScream

It definitely needs looking at.

I find it funny that I have colonists who won't haul, but they'll take bodies to the incinerator, they'll take rocks to cut into stone, they'll take scrap metal to be melted down, and then they'll take the resource to my stockpile.

You'll do all that, but you won't carry any berries for me? :(
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Wex

You forgot hunting. My assassin is plenty capable of hunting. He kills, grabs the deer, starts hauling toward the butchering table, then something clicks. He remembers he can't haul, drops it, and go to sleep.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Svullo

Quote from: Spectre on October 15, 2014, 11:40:17 AMIn regards to Nobles and such not being able to do dumb labor, it's still a personal problem, they simply refuse to haul things because they think it's beneath them.
Is eating also beneath them? We should be able to starve the fuckers until they decide that they'd rather not starve than not perform dumb labour.

Quote from: Spectre on October 15, 2014, 11:40:17 AMNow it's up to you as the player to either keep them around snobbing up the place or turn them into an appetizer (Christ, my mind is on cannibalism today. What is wrong with me...) but like i said it's completely up to you, no one is forcing you to keep any colonist, so if you find them useless simply get rid (You could...erm... sell th... eat them. You could eat them.)

Well, i would really like to have more options than that. My only options shouldn't be to either live with it or kill them. There needs to be a middle ground. Some in-game system to reform them. There should be both soft and hard tactics in that regard. You can either use hard tactics, like starving them or beating them until they stop refusing to do certain kinds of work. This will be a lot quicker and more effective than soft tactics, but runs the risk of causing mental breaks or making them commit suicide or something. Then you have soft tactics, which can be things like therapy or simply trying to convince them with words. Then maybe a kind of middle ground option could be brain implants, which would be 100% effective but costs a load of silver and medical supplies. Or something.

It doesn't even have to be this detailed. These were just a few suggestions i came up with. I'd be happy if Tynan just slapped the quickest, simplest and dirtiest reform system on the game, as long as we get SOMETHING. Because right now your only 2 options are living with it or killing them, as i said before. And i don't like either of those. I want to be able to capture incapacitated attackers without worrying about whether or not they have any ridiculous permanent traits that fuck up my colony and that i can't get rid of. I want to just be able to capture all the survivors, and then begin the slow process of reforming them into productive members of my little community.

TrashMan

Quote from: Spectre on October 15, 2014, 11:40:17 AM
I don't really see it as a psychological issue that prevents them from doing certain types of work, it's just the people themselves.

If I were a Rimworld colonist, I'd be pretty useless. I don't know how to mine, cook lavish meals, shoot etc.

You'd learn.
There's a difference between "not knowing how" and "not being able at all".

There are always tricks to learn in every profession, but the basics are simple for any human being. ESPECIALLY hauling and mining and other basic survival things humans have been doing since the dawn of time.

If you can't manage that then you're polluting the gene pool.

As for actually correcting that behavior. That should be out of player control and for the colonists to do. Based on their personality and other factors they may beat the offender up, pressure him or just give up and let it be.