Children (not breeding)

Started by Kain21, October 15, 2014, 12:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kain21

Remember this is NOT a topic about breeding this is about children.

With that done lets get started. I think children should be in the game but they can't do as much as adults until the age of 12. Without breeding the way you would get children is with the starting colonists and random events. Children won't be able to do as much as adults would be able to do or not be as skilled in it.

Here is a list of what children would be unskilled in:
Smart labor
Hunting
Building
Mining
Social
Medicine

Also having children around will give mood boosts and major penalties if they dies (thanks to spectre)

Now for the ideas given directly to me or ones that I thought of with the constructive criticism, the children will learn skills faster and gain passions for certain skills as they grow.
Say little Pat is 8 years old, he starts mining, he has a chance to gain a passion for mining and will develop traits that work with mining such as increased strength so he can haul more metal back to the stockpiles. His mining skill will also increase faster than an adult due to the fact that he is learning at a young age

Also having children around will give mood boosts and major penalties if they dies (thanks to spectre)

Spectre

Killable children?! Instant censor everywhere. Nah, just joking.

What would the difference be between children and colonists that simply refuse to do certain things? As this is a game about survival I'd just get rid of any children in favour of a new recruit that can do more things without me feeling my food is going to 'waste' feeding children.

You also say that they don't get more skills until the age of 12, say you were given a child at the age of 6, that's 6 years of feeding, defending and housing a sub par colonist.

I suppose you could give a positive mood for children being around and a massive penalty if they die, but still I'd just wall them off somewhere and let them starve. Or eat them.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Kain21