RPG + Endless Mode

Started by TheSilencedScream, October 15, 2014, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSilencedScream

LOVING the game so far, but these are my two primary suggestions:

1.) RPG mechanics - give us points to allocate to the skills, let us set the age and appearance, allow us to pick a weakness and strength, and let us set the background stories The balancing is easy; limit the number of points and for every strength, make us pick a weakness.

Personally, I base my colonists off my friends and myself, so I sit there and re-roll until I get something that satisfies me anyway; why not allow us to set our own story or even build our own challenge in this way?

2.) As I posted in General Discussions (and I'll flesh out here), I'd like an endless game. When your ship leaves and no more colonists are left, have that ship crash again in a completely new area. Keep only the colonists on your last ship (if you had more than one), and only keep the gear on their persons. Throw in a random injury as well.

What this does is allow players who have grown attached to their pawns to keep them, but also have a completely new area to explore and colonize. The main issue now is that, for the end game, you just turtle up and wait to die or ship everyone out to a game over screen. I want to keep playing, but I also want to have a reason to leave the home area, you know?

Any opinions/criticisms are welcome! :)
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

skullywag

Grab EdBs "Prepare Carefully" mod:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0

lets you set up your colonists and starting stuff as you see fit.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Shinzy

Leaving the planet to start again with same colonists you took with you has been suggested quite a few times! and yes! it'd be amazing ;D
would give some incentive to actually build the spaceship
cause now it just ends the game.. and I don't want to end the game =P

And do check out the mod Skully mentioned! it makes the first three+ colonists all the more special.. and you can finally have a colonist with one of those darned colorful hairs
I always see all the visitors and raiders have (I've never managed to capture one alive)

Matthiasagreen

I mentioned this in your other thread, but I will put it here as well so it is all in one place. The prepare carefully can also allow you to "restart" with your colonists as long as you remember/record exactly how they were, because you can recreate them (up to 10 colonists)
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

TheSilencedScream

Thanks for the mod suggestions, I'm definitely going to try them out. I would like to see the ideas incorportated, just because mods tend (not always) to have residual bugs that never get addressed.

Thanks again. :)
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Noobshock

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on October 15, 2014, 12:56:13 PM
1.) RPG mechanics - give us points to allocate to the skills, let us set the age and appearance, allow us to pick a weakness and strength, and let us set the background stories The balancing is easy; limit the number of points and for every strength, make us pick a weakness.

While the embark system from DF is very nice for the complexity addicted, which I'll immediately admit I'm part of, I have to say it does increase the tedium when starting a new game by quite a bit (anytime you want to make changes and not just load up a preset anyway). It would be nice to have here but it would involve a lot of balancing work (some skills/passions are much higher value than others), and the default should still be what it is now aka randoming 3 guys, because it's just easier to get in the action for the majority of players. Having the option to customize embarks would be great though. I think there's a mod that already lets you do this.