[A15] Less Incident Trolling (v1.4.3 / 26 Aug 2016)

Started by RemingtonRyder, October 15, 2014, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shhfiftyfive

serious request here....

i'm not sure if this has been asked. is there some way to remove the new cheat that the enemy mortar team has been given?

in a9 they are getting endless supplies of shells and food, so they will never attack your base. this i consider game breaking. when they run out of food or mortar shells, the game just drop pods in another full stack. indefinitely.

since they have unlimited food and ammo, even if you mortar them in return, they will not leave their spot to attack you, even though they should be going crazy after spending days eating off the ground and sleeping outdoors on the ground... and fighting off the fires that you create by using incendiary mortars on them. but nope. they stay put.

you will have to leave your base and fight them on their turf to kill them off. this makes your turret defenses useless. and also heavily promotes just building a base in the mountain to avoid their attacks.

i even tried to compete with this (was obviously running out of shells of my own) by using the new longer day/night cycle to go steal their shells and food at night while they sleep. but it wasn't enough ammo to get me through the game. there really needs to be a way to craft shells in the vanilla game.

OldVamp

It may be working as intended, but
what was intended is not working.

RemingtonRyder

You can break the siege by killing them from afar. I'm not saying that it's easy to get hold of a couple of sniper rifles, but that's my preferred way of dealing with them. When you've killed enough of them, or you blow up their mortar, they will make a run at the colony as usual.

electrichobo

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 20, 2015, 09:01:32 PM
There have been some storyteller changes in A9. Could I ask which one you're using so I can do some more testing?

Randy in builder mode.

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: OldVamp on February 21, 2015, 12:29:03 AM
machining table, add bill, create shell
i'm talking about early game progression here. the amount of time it takes to research that far is not something you can do in the first few months. i mean if the very first thing you research is mortars, and the very 2nd thing is machining... you're still gonna get raided by enemy teams before any of that comes to pass.

i am regularly getting raided by 2-3 enemy groups within days of each other, sometimes before i even build a fricken research table or a single turret or get more than 3-4 colonists. the first  months of cassandra is giving zero fucks right now.

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 21, 2015, 12:57:53 AM
You can break the siege by killing them from afar. I'm not saying that it's easy to get hold of a couple of sniper rifles, but that's my preferred way of dealing with them. When you've killed enough of them, or you blow up their mortar, they will make a run at the colony as usual.
not from my alpha 9 experiences. alpha 8, sure. try that in alpha 9. i've killed nearly all of them in combat, and the remaining guys will just loiter around the mortar camp. they do not care to ever come attack my base. they'd rather stay there and receive free food from drop pods.

and as i mentioned, cassandra is sending multiple factions to attack me nearly simultaneously. its like one faction is spying on me and knows when i am pre-occupied (actively fighting another group) and so the storyteller sends another group to come fight me while my pants are down.

this has literally happened to me every time i get into a fight: either immediately, or within 2-3 days, another group will come along to capitalize on the fact that my guys need rest/food/meds. it is completely ridiculous.

what happened to the one attack per month? why are they so agro and attacking me at the most opportune time? back to back.

trust me. on alpha 8 i regularly beat cassandra extreme, with no fertilizer pump, no grow zones, no hills or mountains. all in anticipation of alpha 9.... but alpha 9 cassandra is blatantly cheating compared to alpha 8. i don't understand why so many raids are happening per month. it shouldn't be a thing.

ManWithNoName

@shhfiftyfive - Unfortunately this is how Tynan wants the game it seems loads of micro management and unlimited supply drops for besiegers i don't understand it myself.

I too have fell victim to the besiegers they came to attack my last base it was 10 v 4 i didnt have the weapons to attack them nor knew that besiegers now stayed around so i thought i would wait them out. On top of which my four guys were terrible at shooting and two of them were old one with cataract's. I try and wait it out 5 minutes later another faction appears and aggos' them i get the message they are attacking followed by one they are retreating followed by incen mortars landing on my head.

few days pass and the same faction are besieging me from another area of the map its a no win situation its either be mortared to death and run around trying to rebuild and put out fire, or be shot to death.  :-\

Your besiegers will not leave the map, do not run out of food and will not attack when aggro'd So you are force to fight a bigger army or be continually besieged by multiple attackers.  :-\

RemingtonRyder

@electrichobo I suspected as much. Randy may well randomise the random chances of events, overriding a low or zero value.

I can maybe look at tweaking Cassandra's major big bad frequency, but like I said, things have changed in A9 so perhaps you ought to scale back the challenge rating to go be yourself a chance to adapt.

But I'll keep an eye out for this never-ending siege, sounds buggy!

Edit: There's a new version of Rimworld out today. I worked a little change into Cassandra's storyteller def and added it to the mod, and I'm updating the top post. Bear in mind, this is untested as yet but, if it works the way I think it should, you'll have time to breathe which reflects the intensity of the threat cycle. Or, not. Untested, remember.

kingtyris

I don't know if your mod is doing this, but I'm playing a colony on Cassandra challenge mode, and I have yet to receive my first raider. Turning the mod off now to see if the mod is indeed the problem. I'm running alpha 9d

Epyk

Quote from: kingtyris on February 22, 2015, 01:10:54 AM
I don't know if your mod is doing this, but I'm playing a colony on Cassandra challenge mode, and I have yet to receive my first raider. Turning the mod off now to see if the mod is indeed the problem. I'm running alpha 9d

This mod doesn't change raid chances.
Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

RemingtonRyder

Traders are random. I did up the chance of a slave trader passing by, though. Also in the latest version, the mean time between random events was increased for Cassandra.

But basically, you're waiting on a roll of the dice.

Mechanoid Hivemind

I am seeing the same thing my colony is like 2 months in and i havnt had any raids yet i am gonna post this in the bugs section
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

RemingtonRyder

You could try this mod. I made it not long ago for someone who asked. It increases the chance of a raid.

Avtomatik

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 22, 2015, 05:28:32 PM
You could try this mod. I made it not long ago for someone who asked. It increases the chance of a raid.

By  how much?
Do you need a new game for it?

RemingtonRyder

Takes it from the original 9% to 13.5% and, no, you don't need to start over. Also, it's compatible with this mod, so you can use them together. :)

RemingtonRyder

Very minor update today following the release of Alpha 9e, guys, just some changed XML tags in the original StoryTellerDefs file is all.