[A15] Less Incident Trolling (v1.4.3 / 26 Aug 2016)

Started by RemingtonRyder, October 15, 2014, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

RemingtonRyder

Just added v1.3.1. Raid sizes for Phoebe and Cassandra now scale only according to colony population, wealth is not considered. I know that this may not suit everyone's tastes, so please leave some comments about your gameplay experiences with this.

Additionally, colonists now score almost three times more points for the purposes of generating points for raids. After 1000 points, however, any additional points are subject to a curve function. To get 2000 points of raid enemies on Challenge difficulty you would need almost 8000M colonists.

jerome736

Interesting change. Any way you can show the actual difference in raid value calculations from vanilla to your mod?

RemingtonRyder

Like I said, in the mod wealth is no longer counted by Phoebe and Cassandra. In vanilla, any wealth that you had over and above 2000 would be factored in - specifically, building wealth is halved and added to item wealth, then wealth is multiplied by 0.0125 - so, for example, if you had 2500 wealth in items, and 3000 wealth in buildings, the points generated from that wealth would be 25.

Colonists in vanilla are factored in at 43 points each. In the mod, they're valued 117 each instead.

The resulting total is then adjusted according to the 'ramp up' difficulty and your actual difficulty setting.

In vanilla, the points value is then adjusted if it is above 1000 or 2000 points. Effectively, points are halved beyond 1000 and quartered beyond 2000. In the mod, I take the fourth root of points beyond 1000. Maybe that's a bit too much. You tell me! :)

The idea is that you don't get punished for using your wealth to make the colony safer, but raids will still scale based on population.

Edit: I've started testing a slightly different way of working out the points beyond 1000.

RemingtonRyder

There's a new version today (v1.3.3) which extends the population-only raid size calculation to Randy. However, the actual size of raid Randy sends at you will continue to be quite random.

If you don't play Randy Random then no need to download. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zxypher

Love what you've done with the incidents and I agree the scaling for colony wealth was a bit weird but the current scaling with this mod installed so far isn't challenging for me. I currently have 9 colonists and 6 good turrets and the raids of even Mechanoids are laughable. (Just had to fight off a raid of 2 whole Scythers! :P) The most dangerous encounter I've had so far on Challenge difficulty is 3 Centipedes and 2 Scythers on a raid. If there is some random factor to the challenge of a raid I may just be getting unlucky...

I'd suggest possibly exploring the idea of Turrets still counting and maybe even some minor wealth scaling (Since good weapons/armor make a huge difference but I'm not sure how you could figure that in.)

Thanks for your hard work.

RemingtonRyder

Yeah, I guessed that the difficulty scaling might be a bit off. Thanks for testing it out. I think that the most obvious answer is to allow a little bit of scaling from buildings. Item wealth is not a great measure of how well-developed the colony is, because a stockpile of corn doesn't really equate to a sniper rifle, but buildings (like walls and so on) tend to give a rough estimate of the size of the colony.

Mechanoid raids will tend to be smaller because each mechanoid needs more points to spawn in than the average human.

Limdood

is it possible to only count item wealth from weapons and armor?

I know the game is capable of telling the difference, as the traders are already configured to buy only certain things (combat supplies traders in particular...anything you can sell to a combat trader should count towards raid wealth somehow...if it can be).

I might try downloading this mod to play a turret-less game when i start another of those up.  In the meantime, i don't want to build a turret-defended colony and then get tiny raids.

Zxypher

Quote from: MarvinKosh on November 12, 2015, 10:04:16 AM
Yeah, I guessed that the difficulty scaling might be a bit off. Thanks for testing it out. I think that the most obvious answer is to allow a little bit of scaling from buildings. Item wealth is not a great measure of how well-developed the colony is, because a stockpile of corn doesn't really equate to a sniper rifle, but buildings (like walls and so on) tend to give a rough estimate of the size of the colony.

Mechanoid raids will tend to be smaller because each mechanoid needs more points to spawn in than the average human.

Very true, I have faith you'll get it "The truth points to itself." after-all.

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Limdood on November 12, 2015, 06:21:53 PM
is it possible to only count item wealth from weapons and armor?

Not as far as I know. Traders buy certain things because it's configured in the XML. Wealth tracking is done somewhere else, and only presents the options of Buildings or Items, alas. Perhaps the CCL guys or Tynan can get wealth tracking of particular item types in there.

I've tested a variation of the point calculation which adds 25% of the building wealth over 1000 to the raid points. On the easier difficulties (easier than Rough) this is 12.5% instead.

The building wealth is otherwise not subject to difficulty scaling, so a turret (for example) adds the same points to the calculation on Rough or Extreme Challenge. The overall points are still curved after 2000 points in total though.

Needs more testing before I release it though, so that I can be sure it actually makes a significant difference. :)

MisterVertigo

"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

m112

man this game is not playable without this mod, hopefully it gets updated soon

RemingtonRyder

It's the first thing on my agenda for today! Unless the latest episode of High Rollers is up on YouTube, in which case I'll be watching that. :-)

Lomano

Such luck, much love, wow.

Lomano

Are you working on Alpha 13 ? This game is unplayable without this mod.
This mod is awesome. Thank you.
Such luck, much love, wow.