[A15] Less Incident Trolling (v1.4.3 / 26 Aug 2016)

Started by RemingtonRyder, October 15, 2014, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Twelve word description: Less often eclipses, solar flares. Sanity prevails.

This mod reduces the chance for some incidents to fire and/or increases the time before they can fire again. It also makes some map conditions (resulting from incidents) more exclusive e.g. solar flare won't occur during an eclipse and vice versa.

It also delays the first instance of infestation, malaria and plague incidents.

Alpha 15
v1.4.3 -Dropbox -Workshop - Altered Malaria and Plague incidents to affect a smaller max fraction of colonists (0.33 instead of 0.5).

Alpha 14
v1.4.2 Dropbox Workshop - Altered Malaria and Plague incidents to not fire during the first year.
v1.4.1 - Alpha 14 update. Tighter map condition exclusivity than in vanilla. Infestation refire duration lengthened. All good stuff!

Alpha 13
v1.3.6 Dropbox - Alpha 13 compatibility (including day length). Infestations won't happen for the first 45 days.

Alpha 12d

v1.3.5 Dropbox

License

• You may include this mod in your own modpack. The responsibility of maintaining, adapting and supporting that particular combination of mods falls to you, however. This license still applies even if you do not include it in your distribution.
  • You may create your own derivative mod, as long as it does not have the same name as the original mod. Credit must be given.
  • You may not re-upload this to Steam without my permission.
  • Exception to the above. You may not include any of these mods into a monetised modpack or use them to create monetised derivative mods. This includes donation links.
  • You may use this mod as content in monetised YouTube videos without asking me first (see waiver note below). You do not need to credit me but I would appreciate a link to the modpack and/or a mention in the video's description. :)

• Ludeon Studios can use the contents of this mod freely in monetised RimWorld-related content without legal repercussions.

QuoteWaiver note

To YouTube,

The content creator using this mod does not need to ask me first to use it in their monetised videos.

Regards,

MarvinKosh

Kolljak

So.... you cant beat Friendly Phoebe is what your saying.

I play on Random randy Challenge mod its not that hard [the game is] to begin with why would we want to make it easier then easy.Not saying your mod is bad or anything its just i dont see the point when the easiest setting Pheobe Base Builder does this already.

Noobshock

It's almost more from a realism/flavor standpoint that it's bothersome than balance.

Eclipses/flares/blights every other day does get kind of silly and mostly just increase tedium. The real threats in the game are massive raids once you have a fair amount of colonists and wealth, not flares/eclipses.

If anything, I'd lower the incidence of those events, but make them a bit stronger/harder to deal with (they could just last longer) so that they don't happen that often, but when they do there's a fair chance of overlap with an attack.

Imo that approach is win/win. Less spammy eclipses/flares, but when they do happen "oh shit I better be ready".

Clibanarius

Don't be a dick. If there are mods out there like Right Tool For The Right Job that are flat-out cheating, this one shouldn't have its first reply be bashing it. Christ. Even I am annoyed by the flares being constant, I'd rather have the pirates on Sirius IV be persistent in their attempts to murder my colonists than a perpetual stream of annoyances and drops of materials all the way across the 400x400 map from my base.

Igabod

Quote from: Kolljak on October 16, 2014, 04:51:29 AM
So.... you cant beat Friendly Phoebe is what your saying.

I play on Random randy Challenge mod its not that hard [the game is] to begin with why would we want to make it easier then easy.Not saying your mod is bad or anything its just i dont see the point when the easiest setting Pheobe Base Builder does this already.
[TLDR] If you don't have something nice to say then shut the heck up!

Way to go on the constructive criticism (sarcasm)! I've come across several mods that I have absolutely no use for but you don't see me posting on there saying anything negative. If I do comment on mods I have no use for it's usually to offer ideas for how to add usefulness to the mod or to ask the maker to post more information about it. I've never outright said a mod is pointless. Because obviously it has at least some value to one person and the odds are with so many people playing the game that it will find some use in another person's game. Either offer up some helpful words of encouragement or shut your mouth.

That being said, I want to thank Marvinkosh for going to the trouble of editing the files to alleviate some of the more annoying parts of the game and releasing it for those who need help in that area. I personally can see the slave trader frequency increase being useful. I'm not sure what the previous chance was but it is not enough in most games. I hate holding onto prisoners for months and then finally getting tired of feeding useless prisoners and harvesting their organs only to have a slaver show up the next day. I personally don't care for the other changes myself because I'm actually doing pretty good at the difficulty right above Challenging and am probably going to move up to the highest difficulty on my next game. But I would definitely have found a use for that in my earlier games.

A suggestion for additional changes: Lower the chances of the plague and malaria and other illnesses slightly. And maybe increase the rate at which an immunity is developed a small amount.

MelanisticAlbino

Thanks for this!

It was really bugging me getting solar storms and eclipses every other day.

Minus

Thankyou! Thos solar flares really wreck me up more than any raids do. This is going to be very useful for me!

Not saying your mod is bad or anything its just i dont see the point when the easiest setting Pheobe Base Builder does this already.
Pheobe also gets rid of raids though, so it's not the same. But I can see why you'd think that.
Quote from: Clibanarius on October 16, 2014, 08:13:40 AM
Don't be a dick.
Quote from: Igabod on October 16, 2014, 11:03:13 AM
Way to go on the constructive criticism (sarcasm)! Either offer up some helpful words of encouragement or shut your mouth.
And the only people to actually be rude, are the ones calling someone else rude. Hypocrites.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

RemingtonRyder

Okay, um to answer the second poster's question, yes, I can pretty much handle anything that Cassandra throws at me.  But, after a while, the whole eclipse-flare-eclipse crisis gets a bit old.  It would certainly be nice if the storyteller used more than just two sticks. ;)

But also, if there are modders considering making some new incidents to add to the mix, then you sort of need to ease back on some of the existing ones, otherwise you could end up with that awkward moment when you're fending off hordes of ravenous boomrats, your prisoners have organised a break-out, and a crashed pod has started a huge forest fire... and there's a frickin' solar flare to boot.

I mean, call me crazy if you will, but even Superman had a hard time with two missiles going in different directions.  I am but a mere mortal. :)

caffienatedjedi

I like this. Seemed silly that solar flares happen regularily enough to frequently factor into how well a raid does. The idea of making it much rarer means its a more special moment when the turrets fail right when the raiders attack. Combine this with more events that create subtle problems and it creates a much more diverse story.

Kolljak

i personaly wish they had a way to stop lighting and solar flares... eclipses can be countered with batteries. the others cant.

Clibanarius

Quote from: Minus on October 16, 2014, 02:08:29 PM
Thankyou! Thos solar flares really wreck me up more than any raids do. This is going to be very useful for me!

Not saying your mod is bad or anything its just i dont see the point when the easiest setting Pheobe Base Builder does this already.
Pheobe also gets rid of raids though, so it's not the same. But I can see why you'd think that.
Quote from: Clibanarius on October 16, 2014, 08:13:40 AM
Don't be a dick.
Quote from: Igabod on October 16, 2014, 11:03:13 AM
Way to go on the constructive criticism (sarcasm)! Either offer up some helpful words of encouragement or shut your mouth.
And the only people to actually be rude, are the ones calling someone else rude. Hypocrites.
"So.... you cant beat Friendly Phoebe is what your saying." THIS would be the cunty-ass line he used to ridicule the OP. And he couldn't even spell properly when issuing said line. Nor you with that incorrect comma. Learn the English language before you pretend you understand it well enough to post something online. Maybe if you actually understood it you wouldn't have missed how mocking someone's skill at the game is actually an insult.

User was warned for this post.

RemingtonRyder

Aw, man.  I must be going blind, I totally missed those grammar errors.

If there's something I've learned over the few years that I've been modding XML, it's that numbers matter.  Fifty-odd downloads equal fifty-odd thank-you notes. :)

Tsilliev

Thanks for the mod Marvin,it was getting a little annoying indeed, now if it comes to realism, we have only 1 eclipse in 1 year, and in game time how many eclipses do we have? Lets not speak about solar flares that come every 12 years(in reality).

There is only one explanation why we encounter so many eclipses/flares, its because 10-50 moons are orbiting around the planet and the planet itself orbits around 10-50 suns LOL (or its the biggest sun you have ever heard about).

Quote from: Kolljak on October 16, 2014, 07:37:04 PM
i personaly wish they had a way to stop lighting and solar flares... eclipses can be countered with batteries. the others cant.
There is the shields mod, it stops bullets but the modder should also include making electronics operate in its area of field.

edit: I have tested the mod, at the 6th day I got a solar flare, but the OP is that every day, a slave ship arrives, sometimes 2 times per day, sometimes it doesnt, but now I am 15th jan and I built the com station with power at 10th of jan and I got like 4 slave ships already, should be like at least 2 weeks between slave ships, maybe lower it to %2-3?
And an idea would be to bribe or to give incentive to the slave drivers in order to come more often.

I will keep playing now and record the days at which slave ships arrive because the above dates are from memories except 15th jan, atm its 15 jan.
its 3rd feb no slave ships so far.
2nd of march a new slave trader arrived, seems fine.
9th march another slave ship.

RemingtonRyder

The way I see it though, often times when a slave trader arrives, you may not have any slaves to trade, or you might not have anything to trade for what they have in stock, or they don't have anyone that you want.

When you reach a certain size of population, slave traders are going to stop coming by anyway (yes, even if you just want to sell, not buy).  I'll see how it goes, anyway. :)

Girlinhat

Can you do anything about the annoying electrical explosions too?  I'd personally like them just removed from the game.  They don't add content, just tedium, as suddenly you have to rebuild a few power conduits and repair damages.  Plus it's the only event that you cannot defend against - solar flares, eclipses, and raiders (even drop pods) all have a method to counter, but power explosions are just cheatingly annoying and unstoppable.