Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

even in a co-op game. i will make a pact with the other player to try our best to kill each other's colonist.

like force targeting the ground and applying all of the sweet degenerate strategies we can muster.

we will do it for the lulz and great justice. so say we all.

Anduin1357

I would like to point out a thread I made specifically on discussing the innings on multiplayer as a mod or vanilla feature. Would anyone care to take a look?

DustBust

I'd have to agree with Tynan and say it would be more practical as "Ally" cities working together and dealing with the story teller and enemies rather than balancing out a PvP scenario.

LCCX

Quote from: Anduin1357 on April 20, 2015, 09:20:52 PM
I would like to point out a thread I made specifically on discussing the innings on multiplayer as a mod or vanilla feature. Would anyone care to take a look?
Yes, I would. Thanks for the link.  :)

fatalcasper45

When I think of multiplayer in rimworld, I think of the same map but different people could "capture" different tiles on the map expanding your colony to where you could have multiple colonies.

Probably would get very difficult to manage your colonies but a fun idea.

You could then send groups of people to raid other towns or make truces with them, etc.
Thanks,

Zane Lohoefener

Anduin1357

How many players can you fit in a 400 x 400 cell map?

Drago

i think it woulld be awsome to have muiltipalyer to the game you can add that sens that a player could be there to help you out if you need it or he could kill you and claim all the land or would be great for friends to work together to survive trade who know maybe even make it possiable that you can attack the raiders base with your allies on the global map  or have local trade with the ai around your base

Razvan92

I think that a Multiplayer for RimWorld would be geat. But also I know that it would take a lot of work to be achieved in order to make the game enjoyable.
- Trade system (Wich includes transition of the resources at free will)
- Defensive and Agressive operations system
- Chat System
- Stats System
- Stability System
- Save System? (do you want to play the same game for a long time? I think you do)
- Lan or Internet based?
- What happends if you crash/power failure/accidental quit? System
- A lot of questions that need solutions. That is how great games are made. Bethesta Game Director said.
And then I think it is way more important for the game to develop the SP thing, there are a ton of things that need to be added into the game before even thinking of Multiplayer. My personal oppinion.

keylocke

at the cost of sounding like a broken record player :

the influence range system of black & white just seems perfect for rimworld multiplayer.

influence range : is basically a "zone" that starts from a player's crash site, which slowly grows/shrinks in size based on their colony's wealth and population.

players can only build/deconstruct/claim structures that are within their influence range. (hence preventing griefing strategies)

the exception to this is when 2 or more influence range overlaps with one another. players can then "grief" and pull-off degenerate strategies, but only within the areas where their influence range overlaps.

-------------

it's a bit hard to explain and visualize unless and until you've played black & white games.

the concept of influence range itself is good. sadly the other gameplay mechanics of black & white makes it a bit ridiculous. (typical molyneux-move of overreaching)

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: keylocke on June 27, 2015, 09:58:01 PM
at the cost of sounding like a broken record player :

the influence range system of black & white just seems perfect for rimworld multiplayer.

influence range : is basically a "zone" that starts from a player's crash site, which slowly grows/shrinks in size based on their colony's wealth and population.

players can only build/deconstruct/claim structures that are within their influence range. (hence preventing griefing strategies)

the exception to this is when 2 or more influence range overlaps with one another. players can then "grief" and pull-off degenerate strategies, but only within the areas where their influence range overlaps.

-------------

it's a bit hard to explain and visualize unless and until you've played black & white games.

the concept of influence range itself is good. sadly the other gameplay mechanics of black & white makes it a bit ridiculous. (typical molyneux-move of overreaching)
I would love to see a multiplayer, where you can share supplies and you get a slightly bigger map you build with your friend (which i can only imagine is what it would be limited to) Have to bases he/she controls one and you control the other, separate people separate bases.
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

NemesisN

Co-Op would be awesome no doubt....2 colonies in one map working together

I hope this get implemented would make the game even more amazing then it already is
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

keylocke

if rimworld multiplayer is only for co-op games, i'll probably look for another player who'd agree with us "force-attacking" each other. just for the heck of it.

why should multiplayer just be limited to co-op? i think there should also be options for pvp.  :P

Songleaves

I think the easiest way to implement multiplayer would be to allow players to select an option to allow for human raiders, and allow people the gameplay mode where they just raid colonies. Essentially you would select "Raid Mode" or whatever, and then the server would look to match you up with a player who has selected that they want to receive human-controlled raiders, and then give the human raider a set amount of points based off the colony's wealth/defenses and gameplay mode to distribute into forming an attacking force, and then just drop down the attacking force into the other players base with the understanding that after a certain amount of your raiders have been lost you lose control of your raiders and they will automatically flee.

No matter how good the AI gets, its always going to be exploitable, having smart, human-controlled raiders would make defense a lot more challenging and interesting, and would also feel much more rewarding if your traps work on a human.

Toggle

I think the only possible route of multiplayer would be simcity style, so you'd land on the same planet which you would make multiplayer, you could send supplies "Offers" to their colony, which they answer and accept or deny all the resources. It would take the resources you've offered and give them back when they deny, and they'd have to reply within a certain amount of time or it would cancel to prevent just sending all your stuff to them to keep it there as storage. Even this has a flaw, explaining the time difference, although you could just ignore the time. And time, playing at different amounts, is the big problem for being on the same map. I don't want to have no access to a pause button and be stuck on the lowest speed.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

killer117

Id like a mulitplayer with two people. U pick a map size at the start like normal. The game then halves it between the two players. So say ur friends not on and you want to play, you get half the map to use, that way you cant grief his stuff in single player, but can still play that map. And you can build stuff on both sides, just you cant use that stuff in singleplayer. And the time controls could be the same as EU4. Where one player clicks it, and it changes for thirty seconds, before the other players aloud to change it back. This lets both players mess with the time speed, but they can also not keep it that way if the other person dosent want it. They could also be different factions, and useing the same system as other factions to interact. They can just message each ither, but in the comms they can exhange goods, which will have to be in trade beacons, like traders, and will drop down to the other guy. They could also manually change thier relashionship. So they could switch to being hostile if they want, then duke it out for fun. And raids from the A.I will be double strentgh, and will split themselves between the two colonies. If thr players want to build one colony together, they can disable the map splitting And could designate thier building together, meaning the maps off limits in singleplayer, and that pawns can use all bedrooms, and items, and productions, not just those in thier area.

I have other ideas, but this is the gist of it
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.