Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GarettZriwin

Quote from: Jin Hai on May 16, 2016, 01:41:19 PMUnrealistic, but as simple as it could be.

I think that list of not realistic things in Rimworld is pretty long.  ;)

Not that Rimworld is one of games where realism is top priority.  8)

Anduin1357

Since when did any game made realism a priority anyway? =.=
I don't like handing any kind of control off to an AI because the AI is not me and I am not the AI.

I'd sooner handle the raiding party than stay at the colony to manage who knows what is more important than ensuring the lives of my colonists on an away mission.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: Anduin1357 on May 16, 2016, 02:22:41 PM
Since when did any game made realism a priority anyway? =.=
Operation Flashpoint, Red Orchestra(To certain degree, it is not simulation after all).

Just because making things real for some games will kill fun does not mean it will for others.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Anduin1357 on May 07, 2016, 07:00:40 AM
Quote from: b0rsuk on May 07, 2016, 05:28:17 AM
MAKE IT A MMO!
Desyncs are a huge problem for deterministic games. If things become server based, we need a server build and require players to have lots of bandwidth.
Having 10s or 100s of players in one map would be a huge bandwidth and cpu time sink.
My post was a satire.

milon

*Checks date of OP*

des

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 2013, 06:12:32 PM
Not that multiplayer is planned or anything.
Multiplayer was confirmed though guys  ;D

milon

Bad troll!  :P  Multiplayer was confirmed as not being added.  Which is why this is a suggestion and not a general discussion.

blub01

Quote from: Xealyth on May 19, 2016, 11:01:08 AM
The way I see, the co-op aspect of Anno 1404, where two people can control one "civ" would probably work best in Rimworld. In fact, it's almost a perfect iteration for this game. No reason why it shouldn't/wouldn't work.

yes, but considering that tynan doesn't even plan multiplayer right now, our suggestions have to be as simple as possible if we want them to have a chance of being implemented at all.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

milon

They don't necessarily have to be simple - they just have to fit with what RimWorld is.  There is a dedicated stickied thread for the 'simple' suggestions, though, and it's called Cheapest suggestions (because, from a dev's perspective, they're easy to implement).

Toggle

Quote from: Xealyth on May 21, 2016, 11:05:46 AM
"Not that multiplayer is planned or anything."
I still don't think the idea is completely scrapped or out of the question. If multiplayer (co-op, whatever the online mode would be called) were to be ever added, I wouldn't expect it for a long long time. This I understand... there are more important things to focus on for this game. Just food for thought if anything.

The thing is, multiplayer would require a system tied into a lot of the currently existing things. So it probably would become harder to add it the farther in we go.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Nitro1248

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but...

We could have multiplayer like Civ 5!  ;D

That would be fun, with chat and maybe using commas console to trade?

I can just imagine the chat
"mmmmmmm, we are enjoying your dead colonist SOOoooo much over here"

Toggle

But Tynan isn't even considering it at the moment I'm pretty sure right now, as it's in Alpha and that would be a major update that would take over everything else he would be doing.

Toggle

Quote from: Xealyth on May 28, 2016, 03:06:52 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 27, 2016, 10:56:20 PM
But Tynan isn't even considering it at the moment I'm pretty sure right now, as it's in Alpha and that would be a major update that would take over everything else he would be doing.
Exactly... my point still stands.

Your point was he should factor that in for adding it?

My point was it's unlikely he will ever add it, at least before the game's out of alpha and "finished".

Sandyyy

Welcome for my self, i'd say. Name's Sandy.

Lets speak about multiplayer now, after the steam realease. Why after it? Because the probably huge money bonus that Tyn got; I've seen some others game amassing 300.000 U$ in a month, on that early access stage. Idk if it is going to help or to even let you to recruit someone to help all the work... But let's start the discussion.

First Stage: Multiplayer from scratch.
  - We need to put a chronically devolution order for Tyn when making a multiplayer patch, which will consist about the start of the game until the escape planet. Where we'll be obviously speak about the new features on the Alpha14.
- Connection: Peer to Peer. For just a simplistic sake. Why the hell would a Dev start a multiplayer by a massive server? Upkeeps, programming time, all care. Even when we speak about balancing.
- Game mode: CO-OP. When we would start a new multiplayer game, we need to start from the simplistic. CO-OP would stop any "balancing problems"!
- Time Methods: Globally, PAUSE, 1X, 2X. With my pc I can handle the major map size without any lags at the 2X. And the time should be the lowest you choice. Pause would exist, like at Total War. Everyone's like to get a pause, however it rarely its used! We could mirror its coop campaign, making the season ceases when a player leaves (it's just 2 coop) or we could go to 4 players or even 8! Just let the colony frozen when players leave. There is no why to dislike about that, in fact that others game have the same method.
- Story Tellers: A small upgrade on them, allowing that same types of events happens on both colony's. (solar flare, volcanic winter).
- Type of game: "Everyone in yours house": This game is about creating a colony and managing it. No why to leave this!
- Victory Conditions: We would put a "Neutral map" where every player would get a 50x50 area to build. It will be a normal map, of course! All the map would be avaible to mine, hunt, however just could be build on that 50x50 area. Them, would add a "Ship Building Area" where everyone could donate parts and resources to build the ship! Everyone needs to escape, and players should work together to do that.
  * OBS ON THAT ONE: Later by, could add raids to that "Ship Building Area" where all players should work together to stop them. A central 100x100 should be cleared, and build on defenses to hold it. Resources to that area would be just carried by alpacas, mufalos, elephants, etc; where it would take 2~3 days to arrive, while the Pawns just 1 day, and instantly ~ 4 hours if using a rider animal *
- Players Help: Caravans system already exist. Players would send caravans for their Friends with items and prices for that ones. They could die in process, so a strong caravans would be better. Just animals could carry good amounts of items!
- Caravan (Player Driven): Wastes 4 Hours of preparation + 2H X Distance {Cell} , and player would choice the staying caravan time, to the maximum of three days. Obs: They won't consume other players food by any block methods, and other players couldn't buy prepared meals. (Or the player could put a meal with the price of 99999999 coins, lol).
  - Raids: The player could send assistance, like the IA allied tribes, a mechanic already existent on the game, however by a player assistance.
  - Start Method: Server would choice it.
  - Mod: A good use. Tyn, if you reads that some by, remember that I love you, and with steam workshop, there will be a lot of modders. (Explaining mods: modders would develop yours own ways to work that at start, letting Tyn wastes his times on other things.
  - Sync Problems at " Neutral Zone" : Prob won't exist at all? It a strategy game , where the commands should be addressed before the matters really much.
  - Players Assingments: Their relations would be the SAME To all IA Tribes. If someone Jerks, it would be prob your players, or you is just one of the crazy guys that play Total War Coop Campaing with strangers. Sort of expect I think.
- Massive thread? Yeah it is. I'm working to convince that MP would be used.
- Player Joining: they would join when they really wants. Why would you care about that at all? If you are already playing with Friend1 for an hour and a Wild Friend2 appear, would you start a new game? If not, they join on that on-going world.
- Multiplayer Saves: Host and non-hosts should save all the worlds and colony's! And them when they are rejoining, they would choice and download the colony of choice, and play it like a "single player" sending out just the necessary. When it's going to close, the "save button" would download all colony's again. That would let players hacks, but you going to play with friends, right? ( If this pin got confused as fu** , English isn't my "mother thong", I'm a Brazilian, and I could write all this again on Portuguese for someone translate )
- Add me on steam: Sandyyy
If I takes to much to reply here, prob I'll be by there.

I think it's all. If I missed something, just say, and I'll Annalise it for all.
Really Tyn, thanks for that game, I'm following you from Alpha1. Until alpha 5 I didn't get that this game was going to be freaking good!

Colonists would be a Selling Commodity. Some times I kill my own crew just to have a less mouth to eat. Yes, that seems a little psychopath...

Schorschie