Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

British

Quote from: Ontogenesis on October 08, 2013, 01:22:59 PM
Also, have you ever considered map 'cells'? I.e. you step over one side and another cell loads. It would be one way of expanding the map drastically while saving on CPU. The loads are ugly, but it is a cheap way of making a large map.
Besides not having much to do with multiplayer, it's being discussed :P
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=147.0

LexC

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
If I did multiplayer I think it would be in a co-op context.

Making the game into a competitive RTS would really break a lot of the core concepts driving the design. Namely: it's not about winning, it's about the story.

A competitive context would break because the game isn't close to being balanced (what with all the random events and degenerate strategies). In this context competition becomes meaningless.

If we had several players working together, however (say, on the same colony, or in allied colonies close together), they could experience the AI Storyteller's stories together, maybe help each other in times of need, stuff like that. And we wouldn't have to balance the game for PvP.

Perfect, if you ever add Multiplayer please please please do it this way :)

Ben

How about a squad system?

Each individual on the multiplayer is given the initial, three I believe, starting survivors and create separate mini-camps. There's no competitive edge, only the competition to get certain forage-able items before the other with restricted areas for building so trolling or just a clash of ideas doesn't occur. Then they can see each others stories develop as well as their own with a text chat to discuss the matters of each others characters aswell as initiating trade. Co-op does sound a lot better.

GC13

Have there been any building games that have had multiplayer in the past? I'm trying to figure out how multiplayer RimWorld would be a fun, interactive experience that has players playing with each other rather than beside each other. This isn't Minecraft where building stuff is time consuming and having multiple people helps.

Ben

I'm just pushing forward an idea for if it does go through. Personally I highly doubt it because servers are expensive for a single coder, even at his level of skill it doesn't even come into it, it's just pricey.

As for your idea of a building multiplayer, I agree it would be the most fun to have building as a group of people next to each other, but it's unmanageable. There'd be no system to keep trolls out who just want to build around everybody's compound to trap them in, or people who's designs just collide. There's no way for the game to recognize those two types of player.

Pheanox

I know that I, personally, wouldn't play this game co-op if it follows the form of each person is in charge of a landed colonist.  It just wouldn't interest me.  I would much rather that each player get their own colonists and work on their own bases, or work together on a large base, being able to trade resources and work together.  Honestly my wish would be that each person landed on a different part of the map, and the biggest interactions is trading and perhaps sending colonists to each other, maybe being able to hop on to your friend's map during raids to help with defenses.

BananaFromHell

I have an idea for the multiplayer (don't know if there will be multiplayer, but I want to share this idea)

First of all the maps should be bigger, because I can imagine that bases can be pretty big in the later stages of the game.
You can have this game in which 2 players (or more if you are able to make that happen) build bases near each other, and they are not able to interact with the characters of the other player. What you can do is trade with each other. You are able to have a shared energy system and the random events are stronger and more things happen during the random event.

I don't know whether you ever played Borderlands, but the enemies get stronger the more players are in the game. So if you have 4 players the enemies will be stronger, tougher and harder to kill than in a 2 players game. This would be awesome if this would be a feature in the multiplayer as well!

Thanks for reading and I hope this was usefull in some way

AdamBlackbird

I really like the idea of a co-op multiplayer. I think having sections of the map / building on the same map, with each player controlling their own group of colonists would be best. It should probably be hosted by one of the players, and likely not more than a few players at a time. I think most of the interaction would come from trading, helping in defense of eachother, and maybe even building a joint complex, with different players taking on different jobs.

I'm perfectly fine with this being a way-out-there goal for past official release, but I would also like to point out that it is mostly just adding the connectivity, developing multiplayer wouldn't detract from single player too much, as you're essentially still playing the same game, with all the same features.

TvoEx

I would love to see Co-Op Multiplayer implemented.
Now i realize this is a maybe and even if it was going to be added it would be at least half a year away but i wouldn't mind the waiting, it would be worth it.

(
Adding more teams that work together and each is controlled by a player.
Adding a variable maybe for each built object with the team that built it so that one person couldn't just sell all your items.
Maybe add an option on the stockpile to Share resources with the other team or not
).

That and the Uncertainty Veil (Fog of War) idea to make the map appear far larger than it actually is. Those ideas could work well together.

Personally though, I would recommend modability first to truly allow your awesome community make content without Tynan spending tireless hours making it.

EDIT:
PS: Sorry for bumping the thread, I did not mean to do that. I just wanted to put my thoughts and ideas somewhere.

dogboy357

I am posting on behalf of 3 people, including myself.
My friends and I are very excited about the game and have been trying to brainstorm ideas, and multi-player seems to be the most brought up in our little circle. We have discussed the idea of team survival / co-op a little bit. Mostly we talk about what kind of defenses we would set up as a group, and what would be the best way to survive, but we have a couple ideas.

Since we have seen that there is already a team system in-game, you could add a team for each player, but have them all friendly towards each other. Also, colonies should not have difficulty trading with each other as you could use the comms station, and the trade system that is already in place to request a trade with another player.

GeoMint

(if multiplayer is/was an option) It could be nice to have 2 seperate colonies on the same "game" obviously on different rim worlds. Which could tie in with the use for vehicles to expand and explore. For example if Rimworld A has better fertility and Rimworld B has better Power potential, the two colonise could meet and negotiate trades/pacts/alliances etc.

Naddox

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
If I did multiplayer I think it would be in a co-op context.

Making the game into a competitive RTS would really break a lot of the core concepts driving the design. Namely: it's not about winning, it's about the story.

A competitive context would break because the game isn't close to being balanced (what with all the random events and degenerate strategies). In this context competition becomes meaningless.

If we had several players working together, however (say, on the same colony, or in allied colonies close together), they could experience the AI Storyteller's stories together, maybe help each other in times of need, stuff like that. And we wouldn't have to balance the game for PvP.
Maybe a multiplayer mode where 1 player is the survivors and the other player is the storyteller? The storyteller would have to collect points to be able to do certain things and doing some would give points. E.g. Sending the survivors a merchant would give the storyteller 500 points. Sending a raiding party would cost 100 points per raider.

I think that could make for some interesting gameplay, obviously having cooldowns on stuff so that the storyteller can't spam merchants and such and possibly have a requirement for certain things to be sent, like amount of time has passed or player has X amount of survivors, ect.

Nocebo

I envision multi-player in RimWorld sort of like this.

This is a very light form of multi-player I guess. I would prefer a way of just having contact with other colonies. Rather than being able to see everything others are doing, or having them mess with my world. Read on if you are interested in this vision.

Through the Back Door:
Running multi-player on RimWorld right now could be done with very little extra work. There is no need to get a live feed from other colonies or even play on the same map. Players will start out in a lobby of any size, the game then registers all the "contact details" for each player. (Their IP and ports and all that) The players then get access to building a Com Station for each of the other players. To establish contact. Also players can make a new building, a launchpad, to send off (limited) equipment and/or colonists. As far as game mechanics goes, the sending off of items would be relatively light, kind of like selling items in trade. And receiving the items/colonists will be exactly like trading and random events already present.

The AI Story Telling:
The AI could be modified to simple see how many people were in the lobby and adjust accordingly. Or a special AI could be created for this very "game mode".
In this system there could even be the option of Factions or Roles and Allegiances, where raiders fleeing from 1 camp, might seek another "neutral" camp for healing. This could add a whole array of new "random events" for the AI story teller(s)

On the Screen:
Very little will have to change on the screen, there might be little tweaks to the trade window for when you are trading with other players. But for the most part the game will look and feel exactly the same.

Example:
The player(s) start a new game in a lobby.
The game starts.
Random events happen as they normally do.
Camp A and B construct a Com Station and establishes contact with each other.
Camp B does not have enough metal to finish defenses against raiders.
Camp B has a colonist go to the Com Station to file a request.
Camp A receives a new AI story event saying a metal shipment needs to be sent out.
Camp A constructs a launch pad while Camp B builds a beacon.
Camp A then sends off metals. Which create an AI story event at Camp B's beacon.
Camp B survives the raiders and decides to send a Pistol as a thank you to Camp A.
Camp A gets a nice AI Story Telling event that they helped a colony and receive a pistol.

This game is a massive inspiration to me and it might just become -the- game I have always wanted to create myself. So I felt urgently compelled to share my thoughts, and probably more in the future.
Supporter of The Mad Boommuffalo Project!

Drago

hi my name is Drago

ive been gaming all my life and will still do so untill my graveand in to the next wrold i feal that they should implement multiplayer a co-op or a ffa would be nice like dungeon siege where u can work as a team or destroy the opposing team i truly belave that if multiplayer is added to this game it would be on a hole new level if the developer does not add multiplayer i truly beleave he would be shooting him self in the foot

Semmy

Moved topic towards suggestions since it seems more in place there
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke