Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninboja

Don't worry not a native speaker my self, my message might have sounded a bit aggressive too and on the point that the game should get finished first before they start working on multiplayer is completely right since it started as a SP game it should have the SP polished before it gets to the MP.

Rockhumper

Having different colonies managed by different players on the same map would be absolutely awesome!!!!

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - I have merged your new thread with the long existing one. We do not need another thread about multiplayer. Please use the search function next time to check if a suggestion/topic exists before creating a new thread. Thank you.

Iqew

Damn! I got an idea (not sure if it's already been said tho. I ain't reading 16 pages worth of comments). This will probably never happen but it's nice being able to say my ideas.

So, my idea is that a server would have a rimworld just like the vanilla game. Once you join a server, you get to choose a hex where you'll set up base and a faction.

The server should have restrictions or pick the faction for the player based on the number of players that already joined a certain faction. Tribal should be optional since it comes with disadvantages.The Faction leader will be chosesn by the server depending on who in a particular faction is the wealthiest.

Once you choose your hex, you get your standard character creation thing with 3 characters (depends on the server most likely). Everything else is pretty much vanilla.

Still, it would be pretty different especially during raids since you're up against an actual human.

Whenever you are offline , an AI will defend your base in an event of a raid. Speaking of raids, there should be limitations on who can raid who. It would be really unfair if someone with a 10-man army all with charged rifles and power armor raided someone who's on his first rimworld year. The restrictions will be based on wealth so the wealthy can only attack the wealthy and the underdogs can only attack the underdogs.

DavyBobby

Quote from: Iqew on March 21, 2017, 07:49:57 AM
Damn! I got an idea (not sure if it's already been said tho. I ain't reading 16 pages worth of comments). This will probably never happen but it's nice being able to say my ideas.

So, my idea is that a server would have a rimworld just like the vanilla game. Once you join a server, you get to choose a hex where you'll set up base and a faction.
Tynan said himself earlier that if multiplayer was added, it would be co-op, not pvp.
The server should have restrictions or pick the faction for the player based on the number of players that already joined a certain faction. Tribal should be optional since it comes with disadvantages.The Faction leader will be chosesn by the server depending on who in a particular faction is the wealthiest.

Once you choose your hex, you get your standard character creation thing with 3 characters (depends on the server most likely). Everything else is pretty much vanilla.

Still, it would be pretty different especially during raids since you're up against an actual human.

Whenever you are offline , an AI will defend your base in an event of a raid. Speaking of raids, there should be limitations on who can raid who. It would be really unfair if someone with a 10-man army all with charged rifles and power armor raided someone who's on his first rimworld year. The restrictions will be based on wealth so the wealthy can only attack the wealthy and the underdogs can only attack the underdogs.

Alien :)

I like the idea of multiplayer specially if there is pvp :)
plunder all your legendary wooden chairs...

I think that coordinated random events should be the same for all players.
but...
What happens if a player leaves the game? IA takes your control? definitely say goodbye to your chairs.

dieee33

Unlike most ... I prefer PVE. A perfect cooperative. The world can only be active if one of the players is active. Each player has different characters but if one is not active you will have all of them.
This would attract the attention of more buyers in steam.

I'm sorry for my English -google translator.

Neotic

Dude if you want your suggestions taken seriously you should take the time and effort to see if someone has already posted something similar it's not hard to read 16 pages  ¯\_ಠ_ಠ_/¯
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

DavyBobby

Quote from: Neotic on May 04, 2017, 04:02:03 PM

Dude if you want your suggestions taken seriously you should take the time and effort to see if someone has already posted something similar it's not hard to read 16 pages  ¯\_ಠ_ಠ_/¯
It's 200+ posts. *Facepalm*

Anduin1357

Everyone's all going for low hanging fruit and skimping on even explaining what matters to devs the most, technical discussion.

Which is why the layman is never gonna convince the devs with layman ideas.

Pavlooo

I do not understand why co-op should not be a thing. The most simple and efficient way to implement it would be to let one player become the host and the other player join or leave any time he wants, so that the host and the guest(s) can control the colonists of the same colony. This way the hosts save files do not get disrupted and he can play on his own when the guests left.This would make the game so much more popular that I seriously do not understand why nobody wants to implement it.

JimmyAgnt007

Because programming it is a HUGE and DIFFICULT investment of time and effort for a game thats not finished yet.  Ask again when its no longer an Alpha, there was a link to Tynan commenting on the issue. 

EthanSpurlin

I know that RimWorld is developing all the time, and I want to express a a thought I have had.

MULTIPLAYER- This would be a new world attracting a lot of new people into the game. This would work by everyone entering a loading screen whether it may be local or hosted of up to 6 at most. Everything would be in real time, but people will be spreaded out over the world. You would win by entering space leaving the rim world or by eliminating all other tribes. Time to research and travel through caravans would be increased by 4-6x depending on host to make the game move faster. What ludeon could do to make money would be to add scenarios personalized to the user. What I mean by this is adding rig explorer maybe pirates and the lost tribe. Pirates would be able to move quicker in the world and start with more members, but they can only win by eliminating all tribes making this a interesting view on multiplayer.

Tell me if you want more details on certain aspects or if you love the idea. Maybe in the future they could add this even to mobile devices?? Who knows...

Calahan

@ EthanSpurlin - ^^ Your idea (multiplayer) has been suggested to death already, although you at least get credit for outlining how it might work rather than just saying "Add multiplayer!!!" like some people do. Anyway, I have merged your new thread with the long standing existing one suggesting multiplayer, as we do not need any more new suggestion threads for this.

Also, can you please use the search function in future to check if a suggestion has already been made before creating a new thread for it, as per the forum rules. Especially for something that is very likely to have been suggested already (since the chance of you being the first person to suggest MP for RimWorld was zero). Plus, can you please try to have a thread title that is related to / is a summary of your idea, as "Future game idea" offers nothing in that regard. Finally, please don't use all capitals for thread titles. Thank you.

Edit - I've moved two recent posts from the "Frequent Suggestions Topic" thread to here as well.

banterface

What I think about this: if players play on one map, you should divide the map into time zones, where time during the day may be different, but at the end of the day one player waits for the completion of day from another player.

In order to enter the territory of another player, you will have to synchronize your time with him as before the intervention, and during. This is awkward, but, in my opinion, not so serious fee for multiplayer.

FrodoOf9Fingers

There's no multiplayer in the game as of yet.

But, maybe someday Tynan (or some dedicated modder with haxor C# skillz) might make multiplayer an option.

What formats would be best for multiplayer?

Would you prefer the players land in the same area, or in different areas?
Same faction, different faction?
Build the same base, using each other's resources, or keeping it separate and competing for resources?
PvP?
Different storytellers?