Previous topic - Next topic

Zknar

The game will have a multiplayer?

Yarkista

The Ataraxist

Yarkista

Quote from: The Ataraxist on September 25, 2013, 03:13:07 PM
Not initially atleast.

Indeed, but multiplayer would be odd on this type of game.

ZebioLizard2

Would it? It seems like how it would be done in Tropico 5, with several cities in a small area.

Yarkista

Quote from: ZebioLizard2 on September 25, 2013, 03:42:00 PM
Would it? It seems like how it would be done in Tropico 5, with several cities in a small area.

Huh, I change my opinion, I think multiplayer could in fact work if it used that sort of thing and a bigger map.

Tynan

It's an interesting idea, but at least six months away. Probably never, but as I say, still an interesting idea. It is technically possible.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 2013, 04:51:32 PM
It's an interesting idea, but at least six months away. Probably never, but as I say, still an interesting idea. It is technically possible.

Multiplayer confirmed! ;)

Right, that's all we can ask for.

Kalesin

Although technically everything is possible, the game mechanics will not be complicated?

What if I've seen i is interesting is certain social characteristics. For example, in Godus, followers (equivalent to the colonists in Rimworld) have Godus players names. A settler yours would flee, to leave dle planet or whatever and end up in another player's game would be interesting, or such other colonies to establish trade with other players of being offline.

Jakadasnake

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea. Would it just be like the ship split in two and now you have two groups of settlers that don't know where each other are? There's going to be an end game before multiplayer (most likely), so this might add an interesting dynamic. It creates so many possibilities, though, that it might be better suited for a sequel.

ZebioLizard2

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 25, 2013, 05:23:55 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea. Would it just be like the ship split in two and now you have two groups of settlers that don't know where each other are? There's going to be an end game before multiplayer (most likely), so this might add an interesting dynamic. It creates so many possibilities, though, that it might be better suited for a sequel.

Alpha Centauri as an example, both a political & Ideological split, as well as ship fragmenting could all be reasons. Even if everyones together, not everyone is going to agree on whose leading for various reasons.

Jakadasnake

I suddenly have this strange urge to watch Lost...

Tynan

If I did multiplayer I think it would be in a co-op context.

Making the game into a competitive RTS would really break a lot of the core concepts driving the design. Namely: it's not about winning, it's about the story.

A competitive context would break because the game isn't close to being balanced (what with all the random events and degenerate strategies). In this context competition becomes meaningless.

If we had several players working together, however (say, on the same colony, or in allied colonies close together), they could experience the AI Storyteller's stories together, maybe help each other in times of need, stuff like that. And we wouldn't have to balance the game for PvP.

Jakadasnake

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
If I did multiplayer I think it would be in a co-op context.

Making the game into a competitive RTS would really break a lot of the core concepts driving the design. Namely: it's not about winning, it's about the story.

A competitive context would break because the game isn't close to being balanced (what with all the random events and degenerate strategies). In this context competition becomes meaningless.

If we had several players working together, however (say, on the same colony, or in allied colonies close together), they could experience the AI Storyteller's stories together, maybe help each other in times of need, stuff like that. And we wouldn't have to balance the game for PvP.

That makes sense. I didn't expect it would feature a directly competitive element. I suppose I just imagined it would be more akin to having the two players on their own just like in a single player game, but with the knowledge of the others' existence. Might offer incentive to try and explore towards another person or force a more nomadic play style between the two until they are able to meet up and join forces. If the two develop independently one might pull ahead and try to stage a rescue of the other team.
Working adjacently certainly would offer its fair share of interesting dynamics as well. But yeah, I couldn't really see this being a PvP experience.

Tynan

I suppose there's no real need to even set a goal on it. After all, we don't do that in SP either. Just put several groups in the map and let them do as they please. If they're friends on Ventrilo they'll probably cooperate. Or maybe not.

Not that multiplayer is planned or anything.