auto-doc bed(a way to do surgery to self)

Started by richeygator, October 16, 2014, 07:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richeygator

ive always found it quite annoying that you cant just(as a challenge)run a 1 person colony
i propose a way to allow colonists to DIY there health ;D
1.you could only-replace organs,treat self,or install peg legs-nothing beyond that
(also HOOK HANDS ALREADY but thats a whole other thing ;))
2.it would have its own special quality-even lower than the default lowest
3.to not lose consciousness instead of applying anesthetic
it would just be HORRIBLE PAIN :'( that gave a large negative thought quite a while after

it shouldn't be(in any way,shape,or form)a good idea-but it should still be an option

Edit:
the auto-doc bed is now the main idea of this thread
credit to mystic for the auto-doc idea
(i will update this as i get suggestions
cant think of a better way to explain this-so ill just quote him)
Quote from: Mystic on October 17, 2014, 09:43:14 AM
Now ... maybe there could be an (incredibly expensive) "auto-doc bed" that could be purchased on rare occasions from an exotic goods trader.  This wouldn't be as effective as a good human doctor, and may not be able to perform every type of surgery, but might be a fallback in such an emergency situation.  I wouldn't be entirely opposed to something like that being in the game, as long as getting one is difficult and a major, major expenditure.
Wow,this is actually a way better idea
Although personally I would rather have it researchable
And cost a lot of either resources or power
Quote from: Wex on October 19, 2014, 06:53:08 PM
Can you imagine an automedic bed malfunction?
hmmmm,maybe 2 different versions
1.that's (relativity) easy to build,average research cost/power,
but quite a high chance of lethal or major malfunction
2.a high research,resource,and power build
but a much higher chance of success
Quote from: RawCode on October 20, 2014, 03:06:44 AM
this will remove medics from game completely.

who need medic when can simply rush to autodoc?
the idea would be that even the "2" bed would be vastly
worse than just an untrained doctor
and take way more time-ie:it would be better to just have a lvl 9 doctor
but when theres no other options
Quote from: Wex on October 20, 2014, 01:11:39 PM
They should always need medicine to work (hopper).
this actually gives me an idea-the auto doc "recipes" cost more medicine than usual
this (in addition to all the other suggested drawbacks) should make it so a decent human doctor
(or even a sub-par one)is superior to the auto-doc and it should be used in emergency's only
ie:all colinists are 3-6 or incapable of doctoring
i won't have a god complex,everyone else has a mortal complex.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7248.0
play the first rimworld RTD

togt

I you want to run the whole colony with one colonist I have to ask: do you have a Minecraft background?

richeygator

Quote from: togt on October 17, 2014, 01:45:05 AM
do you have a Minecraft background?
ummmm......maybe :-X
:-[          run away,he knows our secreti think i came up with my idea because of
my god complex everyone elses mortal complex
i always have 1 colonist named after me(usually has the best stats to)-but that's a coincidence
im also an introvert,and like to draw things to there natural conclusion of
me being stuck in close-quarters with that many people
"me" killing everyone with turrets and taking over the base  ;D
but alas,i keep dieing while attempting invisioning this

Jstank

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Matthiasagreen

I am for treating yourself when you are bleeding out our when you have smaller wounds to wrap up, but if you are incapacitated or need an organ transplant, I feel that is beyond the ability of a colonist. You need someone else if you are going under anesthesia.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Mystic

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 17, 2014, 09:01:33 AM
I am for treating yourself when you are bleeding out our when you have smaller wounds to wrap up, but if you are incapacitated or need an organ transplant, I feel that is beyond the ability of a colonist. You need someone else if you are going under anesthesia.

Thumbs up to this.  I would be pretty disappointed if the game was changed to allow injured people to do self-surgery ... it would remove any suspension of disbelief, as well as eliminating the tension that should be inherent from such a precarious situation.  For a game that's based on the concept of storytelling, that would have a very negative effect.

Now ... maybe there could be an (incredibly expensive) "auto-doc bed" that could be purchased on rare occasions from an exotic goods trader.  This wouldn't be as effective as a good human doctor, and may not be able to perform every type of surgery, but might be a fallback in such an emergency situation.  I wouldn't be entirely opposed to something like that being in the game, as long as getting one is difficult and a major, major expenditure.

BetaSpectre

A Max level surgeon should be able to fix basically anything by himself. Its been done before, a guy performed surgery on himself to remove an internal infection. Other self surgeries have been performed before. Though its alot more common to stitch up your wounds or stop bleeding. As well as easier.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

richeygator

Quote from: Mystic on October 17, 2014, 09:43:14 AM
Wow,this is actually a way better idea
Although personally I would rather have it researchable
And cost a lot of either resources or power

TheSilencedScream

I'm okay with an autodoc, but it would need to take some time. After all, woth any normal injuries, it ties up one person completely and a second person about a fifth of a day.

If no autodoc, I'm cool with a person being able to patch themselves up, but there's no "grit your teeth" method to replace a lung, kidney, eye, hand, etc. - that'd be out of the question, in my opinion, as the pain threshold would likely incapacitate you in the first place.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

thestalkinghead

an auto doc bed sounds cool, the first thing that came to mind was the prometheus version, and i actually think in the future something like it will actually exist.

as for the specifics i think it would be a high level research and be very expensive, also it would probably need a hopper with medkits loaded in it to actually work plus high levels of power usage.

Wex

Can you imagine an automedic bed malfunction? That would be... messy. :o
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

richeygator

Quote from: Wex on October 19, 2014, 06:53:08 PM
Can you imagine an automedic bed malfunction? That would be... messy. :o
why yes,yes i can-adding it to the OP
wow-my mind is super messed up  ;D

RawCode

richeygator

hmm,this also needs addressed in the OP

Mystic

For what it is worth, that's why my proposal of the auto-doc did not allow the item to be researched, but instead made it only available on a rare basis from an exotic goods trader (so you might not even be able to get one in many games) and if available it would be very expensive (moreso than any of the bionic implants), and also would not perform as well as a good doctor (maybe equivalent to a level 5 doctor at most) and it would not be able to do all procedures (e.g., no bionic implant procedures), being intended for emergency medicine only.  A reasonably capable human doctor should always be superior to an auto-doc, and much easier/cheaper to come by as well.

It is also worth considering that a real doctor can treat many patients at once, while that incredibly expensive one auto-doc you managed to find can only treat one at a time (and no, the autodoc treatment should not be as fast as a real doctor's treatment, so that the player cannot simply shuffle colonists into the auto-doc in a queue).  This is another reason to not allow them to be researched and constructed, BTW ... if you can build as many as you want, then this desired limitation could be circumvented.)  Basically I'm suggesting any auto-doc addition should be limited to being only a fallback in a desperate situation, such as where your only remaining colonist or only doctor gets injured.  Most of the time if you have a real doctor, you should be motivated to have him do the medicine rather than any auto-doc.