What happened to wooden logs?

Started by Timber, October 16, 2014, 09:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber

I seem to remember being able to craft walls out of wooden logs - no power and very flammable, but cheap as hell.
Now I can't seem to find it in the structure tab. Was it a mod I've installed and forgot about or was it removed from the game?
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

TheXIIILightning

The logs were removed of the game for now, since very few, if any people ended up using them. The only distinction from the Wooden walls was that they cost 8 Logs to build and offered a bigger defense, whereas Wooden walls cost around 6 to build and generally look nicer. Thus, no people in the more current versions used the Log walls.

The Log walls came to be because one update added a wood economy to the game that featured Planks, but some people were having trouble building them in the early game and were overrun in the first few raids. Wood walls required Planks and Log walls did not.

In the following update the Plank economy was removed but the two types of walls were kept, but now the Log walls were removed and are only featured in a few mods.
They may return in the future now that there is a "Stuff" system in place, or to work with any new additions to the game. ^^

rexx1888

i miss log walls :(

like, sure they were flammable, but thy were durable as hell an cheap. Nice easy quick defense structures behind sandbags for colonist hideyness. They were great.

ShadowTani

I'm hoping the plank economy will get considered back in eventually, I love production chains and it's one of the things this game has been lacking in so far. Especially love it if the production chain reuses current objects that are used for other things as well (as opposed to making a ton of new crafting stations) - as an example: if the machining table would produce scrap from cutting up mechanoid corpses you would then have to process it in the electric smelter to get metal.

Either way, removing the plank economy just because newbies didn't seem to get it at the time is like giving up on it too easily I feel and I hope it wasn't the main reason for taking it out.

Wex

I used to use them for a variety of things. First - they were good barricades, easy to build if enemies came from a weird angle; also very durable in a firefight (unless fire...). Second I used them for emergency repair. I once stopped an evasion (bad place for energy discharge, it took one of my prison walls down) by building a fast replacement wall. I also used them as support underground.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Timber

Quote from: Wex on October 19, 2014, 06:28:55 PM
I used to use them for a variety of things. First - they were good barricades, easy to build if enemies came from a weird angle; also very durable in a firefight (unless fire...). Second I used them for emergency repair. I once stopped an evasion (bad place for energy discharge, it took one of my prison walls down) by building a fast replacement wall. I also used them as support underground.

I used them mostly for cheap and aesthetically pleasing living cottages. Really don't understand why it had to be removed, maybe someone will make a mod for it :/

Coenmcj

I sure do miss the timber.
made for great early-game fortifications and a good level of economic complexity.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Timber

Quote from: Coenmcj on October 19, 2014, 08:39:18 PM
I sure do miss the timber.
made for great early-game fortifications and a good level of economic complexity.

I sense a strategically placed pun here...