[MOD] (Alpha 7) PurpleIvy - Now with rare melee drops and all consuming Ivy

Started by skullywag, October 18, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

This is brilliant! I'd had an idea to do something like this for a long time but it looks like you beat me to it in an awesome way. Can't wait to see how this develops.

One idea: Purple Ivy artillery cannons :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ruin

This is so darn cool.  Maybe it could be added to the vanilla game once it matures?

BinaryBlackhole

Ivy has traits  some spread faster some spawn enemies some resist fire if two purple ivys touch they gain both traits so you must eradicate them all also how about letting ivy grow on non dirt floors if theres  blood or rubble another trait could be toxic goop  now the ivy can spread forever.

Coenmcj

I really must pay more attention to the mods release forums... Bloody brilliant you two!

Quote from: Tynan on October 28, 2014, 12:46:41 AM
This is brilliant! I'd had an idea to do something like this for a long time but it looks like you beat me to it in an awesome way. Can't wait to see how this develops.

One idea: Purple Ivy artillery cannons :)

This... This needs to be done. You can fire at the raiders with these, and vice versa, wouldn't want that pristine environment inside your compound to be overtaken by the swarm PurpleIvy would we?...

Incorporating this into all my future worlds. Cheers!

Edit ;
"fire is your friend."
"could be fun if it grew faster over bloody areas ... it grows super fast around that corpse"

"I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context." - StorymasterQ
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

skullywag

So I went a bit quiet on this, but have been fleshing out my plan for this while i dealt with some real life issues with my daughter (shes 1 and was a bit ill recently, nothing major, just needed me to be around more as any good dad should be, anyways....).

So for the future:

The "ivy", im not 100% sure on the name, but I dont like "creep" and wanted to keep inline with the "earthlike" feel, any ideas on this are welcome? (The purple part was actually a joke from the originating thread so can be dropped)

I now have the ivy mutating once it gets to 100% maturity on a chance basis, it can become one of 2 things:

EggSac - spawns Centipede hatchlings again based on chance and how many are currently on the map (dont want to overload the engine) These are simple slug like creatures that will eventually defend the ivy and attack anything in site range. (currently just wandering about until i fix an issue with their spawn code that makes them kittens).

GasPump - or "Gaseous Pustule" this thing pumps out clouds of smoke currently, it started off for looks, I wanted a spooky feel to the ivy. My plan is to make any creatures near these go psychotic when they pump a cloud out.

Seed/egg Cannon - this thing will start lobbing seeds/eggs (not sure yet) at your colony, I dont want it to do a lot of damage if its a seed cannon cuz technically your whole map could be covered in these things, so it has to be a slow weardown damaging walls and equipment rather than destroying, the egg variety would spawn the eggsac on impact and the normal spawning of hatchlings would happen.

Theres some other ideas in my head like using a substance obtained from the hatchlings to produce goods (maybe medicines in the future for example).

Adult centipedes, basically wild versions of the mechanoids, if it wasnt obvious my plan is to somewhat explain how the mechanoids came to be or at least what they are based on. There is some lore ive written for this involving scientists, research stations, comets and all sorts, I would really LOVE Tynans input on this as im not sure if there is already full Mechanoid lore as I dont feel its my place to come up with this but for the purpose of this mod it was my way of explaining the ivy/hatchlings. Anyway enough babbling on with the codes...

oh as a teaser, heres an image of the hatchling...you can thank Shinzy for this...love ya buddy!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Wex

Would the centipede be edible?
Would the shot from the plant deliver "toxic" damage -chemical burns-?
Would the gas increase the chance of a psychotic break on colonist, random animal attack, full scale attack by animals, or all 3 togheter?
Would it work as a deterrent for pirate attacks?
Can it be contained by destroing the surronding nature -concrete is your friend-?

Yes, I do have a couple of questions.  :)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

skullywag

Quote from: Wex on November 01, 2014, 01:32:04 PM
Would the centipede be edible?
Would the shot from the plant deliver "toxic" damage -chemical burns-?
Would the gas increase the chance of a psychotic break on colonist, random animal attack, full scale attack by animals, or all 3 togheter?
Would it work as a deterrent for pirate attacks?
Can it be contained by destroing the surronding nature -concrete is your friend-?

Yes, I do have a couple of questions.  :)

1. Not sure, they currently dont drop anything when killed.
2. It doesn't but it could do.
3. The gas would affect any pawn in radius.
4. I suppose it could at least make them fight it on the way to you
5. It spreads via other life so yes to your question in my current local build, however I am adding a slow take over of floor tiles to make it technically never stop spreading. it'll just be quicker with plantlife next to it. So no to your question once I've implemented that.

:)

jal21

random cool ideas
a faction that will have a chance to spawn when the Akuma vines (that is what im calling the purpleivy) that there hole purpose is to take out the Akuma vines and any thing that has gotten in contact with it aka your colonist and they are wearing hazmat gear that gives them protection towards the gas and such

maybe there can be an event that will be scientists that will be looking for the seeds of the Akuma vines and will buy it off you for a hefty amount of silver but they will sound very shifty about it like they will be using it for something that is not that good... and you might her the effect later about your choice
this is just my thous on this add at your lesher i will like the mod ether way i just think that this will make the mod a bit more interesting

Shinzy

Something in latin obviously! cause all the plants are named in latin ;D "Purple bulbous growth"  "Purpureus bulbosus incrementum"

Or maybe just "More weed"
and why no meteorbear? =P centipede hatchling, duhh!

skullywag

Quote from: Shinzy on November 01, 2014, 02:54:05 PM
Something in latin obviously! cause all the plants are named in latin ;D "Purple bulbous growth"  "Purpureus bulbosus incrementum"

Or maybe just "More weed"
and why no meteorbear? =P centipede hatchling, duhh!

cuz no one would get it bar us. :)

Wex

Also a chanche to reanimate corpses like the cordyceps would be super!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
Spreading beyond concrete now! :)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Rikiki

I really like the idea of extracting medicine from it. :)
* You may want to keep a small piece of this in your base for your own purpose (use the ivy incredible regeneration properties) but beware the risk of a sudden invasion.
* Couple it with this event: "Solar flare growth": the solar flare incredibly boosts Ivy growth rate for a short period of time (the plant is powered by the cosmic radiation  ::))

Keep up the good job! :D

skullywag

Another idea thats kind of forming within the code,  if the ivy hits a tree it transforms it into a purple version that when chopped down gives a new type of wood whic is a "stuff". Im gonna try and add a self repair to things built by it. Itll obviously be balanced.

Im trying to make it so you have a choice to make, kill the ivy and stay safe, take the risk and get some cool rewards