Making medicine!

Started by Headshotkill, October 19, 2014, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headshotkill

Last game a colonist died because I ran out of medicine and was unable to give him the treatment he needed. I suggest we ad a new job and table to the game:

The botanist, uses exotic plants which you get from cutting plants in the wild and turns these into medicine using his worktable. Depending on his skill with botany his medicines might have a chance of being toxic.

Nukeman0

I don't see why this shouldn't be implemented in the future :)

+1
Nukeman0

userfredle

Im pretty sure this has been brought up before, but just wanna add my 2 cents cuz im too lazy to find the thread, I would like to see the herbs used in medicine not able to be farmed until you get hydroponics system because they would be too fagile, also they could appear at map generation so there is some to use in the mean time, but mass fields of medicine just doesnt sound right to me for some reason, i mean its a challenge to get medkits currently and i like that!

Headshotkill

Quote from: userfredle on October 20, 2014, 01:06:19 PM
Im pretty sure this has been brought up before, but just wanna add my 2 cents cuz im too lazy to find the thread, I would like to see the herbs used in medicine not able to be farmed until you get hydroponics system because they would be too fagile, also they could appear at map generation so there is some to use in the mean time, but mass fields of medicine just doesnt sound right to me for some reason, i mean its a challenge to get medkits currently and i like that!

Yeah I knew that an idea as cheap as this one would've already been suggested but I too was to lazy to search another one. Off cours herbs and plants that you can make medicine from would be rare and likely occur deep in a jungle or other biomes. Maybe we can order some colonists to go on an expedition in search of these herbs. They would leave the map and return several days later... or not.

SimpleLogician

I'm not too sure on the botany idea, making medicine is much more complicated than plants. There's gauze and scalpels and testing equipment in addition to drugs. I agree wholeheartedly on being able to make medicine though and I also feel that we should have a large section of research available that once finished will allow us to make guns and armor at a machining table (power armor should require plasteel). Either that or trade ships need to come by much more often. I hate having the money for medicine and needing it to install the bionic arm I got and not having the medicine to do it. I hate having unarmed (or club-wielding) colonists and sitting on a pile of money.

Headshotkill

I'm all in for more science stuff and becoming more independant, kinda weird seeing dozens of traders pass by being in a very remote part of the galaxy...

Evul

Like it except the poison part. :P
In late game you should be able to make your own meds. But this should be a level 8-10 research skill, and be researched. :)

Possible penalties could be: dirty room (cause you need a sterile environment to make meds), not light.

Timber

Quote from: Headshotkill on October 19, 2014, 09:46:00 AM
Last game a colonist died because I ran out of medicine and was unable to give him the treatment he needed. I suggest we ad a new job and table to the game:

The botanist, uses exotic plants which you get from cutting plants in the wild and turns these into medicine using his worktable. Depending on his skill with botany his medicines might have a chance of being toxic.

Simple Medicine Craft
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6652.msg64737#msg64737

QuoteThis simple mod will allow you to craft medicine from plants and cloth in a new crafting table (the chemist's lab).
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

Sir

I agree with this, though I'd prefer to see the "Growing" job grow the medicinal plants and the "Doctor" job synthesize the medicine. Especially if the medicinal plants took as long as - if not longer - than Devilstrand.
Check out my Suggestions!
Pt. 1 & Pt. 2

kingtyris

I like the concept of being able to grow/harvest different types of herbs and having different tiers of medicine. Like, simple herbs bestow a lower chance of improving medical care, yada yada, all the way up to advanced herbs which are rarer and more difficult to grow yet can be used raw or processed into advanced medicines which work miracles on injured colonists.

Mathenaut

I think it better if we have simply 2 tiers.  Leave medicine as is and introduce a bottom tier that can be produced, with less versatility.  Like.. make a first aid kit with lower bonuses that can't be used for surgery.

BetaSpectre

Different tiers of medicine would be interesting
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

userfredle

Im sure tynan has better plans for the game than just "Better Medicine Chances"

Im guessing he wants to do something like dwarf fortress where the medicine, or object of medical care being appropriate to the injury, like crafting splints (Quality matters!) to help colonists walk using basic methods of rope or string to attach to the colonist, Advanced surgical equipment kits to install bionics or dissect (To keep them from dying during surgury anyway), also simple cheap herbal remedies and teas for jungle fever and the flu