Trebuchets and catapults

Started by Sion, October 19, 2014, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

The colonists should be able to build different types of medieval trebuchets & catapults now when wood is available.

General building requirement suggestion:

Catapult:
Wood: for the frame structure
Iron: reinforcement that absorbs the energies in the stooping arm
Cloth: winded into a rope that stores the energies needed to throw the objects

Trebuchet:
Wood: for the frame, wood can also be shaped in such way that Iron isn't needed by the way of wooden plugs and other carpentry techniques, because a trebuchet is designed as a swing it doesn't need to absorb nearly as much energies as a catapult witch removes the need for metal reinforcement.
Cloth: used for the ropes.
Stone or Iron Debris: used as the counter weight that stores the energy that throws the projectiles.

Ammunition: () = maybe, [] = explains effect
* Stone debris [might roll a few tiles, crushing enemies in it's path, not insta-kill, unless a vital organ is destroyed]
* Iron debris [might roll, but shorter]
* Dead bodies ["psychotic warfare", (or spread plague)] this is actually a real medieval siege technique.
* (Stone bricks)
* (Metal)
* (Wooden logs)
* (Missiles [explosive round])
* (Shells [explosive round])
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Nukeman0

A very interesting suggestion. It would have been pretty cool as an early siege-weapon until the mortar.

Although, if you at first want to bring some real medieval-like buildings into the game, i would also suggest to actually implement Medieval groups too. I kinda find it quite strange it haven' already been done, considering all the medieval background-stories. Just think about it... siege-raids by people with medieval armor and swords, making catapults and trebuchets...

Anyways, I think this would be a really cool, if not an inevitable, addition to RimWorld.

+1
Nukeman0

skullywag

Technically just a reskinned turret with a different projectile and some motes (particles and stuff) shouldnt be too hard. The art would take the longest and animation would be hard but both would look silly without it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Jstank

I dream of supply chains using trebuchets to launch resources from the mine to my main base. I also dream of launching the corpses of my fallen foes upon an enemy camp for psychological warfare reasons!  (-15 observed flying corpse)
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Sion

@Jstank, Yeah I also thought about "trebuchet powered" supply chains when I was writing this.
I also love the debuf :D
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.