Cave-in while deconstructing colonist-made buildings?

Started by Noobshock, October 19, 2014, 11:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

So I made this dormitory out in the open (no cave).
Little while later I make a fancier one and move my colonists to it, and want to deconstruct the original.

My main builder gets crushed in the process, from the roof falling on his head.
Should we really need to worry about cave-ins when deconstructing our own buildings?

TheSilencedScream

I agree. If we're deconstructing, there shouldn't be the possibility of a collapse. Collapses should come from attacks and being careless (such as mining too large of an area with no supports).

On a related note to deconstructing, we should be able to select to deconstruct floors. Had some wooden floors left behind for a building I tore down (luckily without anyone being crushed), but had to rebuild there because I couldn't remove the floors and they looked funny in the middle of nowhere.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Nukeman0

I have had the same problem :/

I guess it could be considered as an AI bug/deficiency, as no "intelligent" being would do the deconstructing-job while inside the house itself. This could, however, probably be programmed away by somewhat making the AI check wether the colonist is underneath a "threatened" roof while deconstructing the supporting walls.

Also, +1 for a "tear up floor" button :D
Nukeman0

skullywag

hmm gonna look into the tear up floor thing but I think that would need floors to be selectable....that...might be messy....

+1 on the deconstruct issue (its a pain to do a no roof region each time)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Untrustedlife

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on October 19, 2014, 12:38:12 PM
I agree. If we're deconstructing, there shouldn't be the possibility of a collapse. Collapses should come from attacks and being careless (such as mining too large of an area with no supports).

On a related note to deconstructing, we should be able to select to deconstruct floors. Had some wooden floors left behind for a building I tore down (luckily without anyone being crushed), but had to rebuild there because I couldn't remove the floors and they looked funny in the middle of nowhere.

I disagree, just perhaps tynan should make the ai smart enough to deconstruct from the outside in, instead.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Mikhail Reign

If I remember correctly, the fertilizer pump will return any floor surface to dirt...